Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CA M15a4 or G&P M4?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:52   #1
ratnest

CA M15a4 or G&P M4?

So I want to buy a new full metal armalite style aeg. My main concerns are the gearbox, the quality of the receiver, and compatibility with after market parts.

so the two i keep running into in my price range are the classic army m15 series, and g&p m4s.

from my research, g&p seems to have the better externals, but the more problematic gear box.

so which would be a better buy? or should i start from scratch and just buy a good metal receiver?

Last edited by ratnest; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:58.. Reason: typo
ratnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:22   #2
submarineman

Send a message via MSN to submarineman
Personally i love all CA stuff. they are really built strong and nice and heavy.
check this
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=92222

I have a collection of CA guns and they work great. You will be pleased.

Dolphin code 37
``Submariners have bigger balls``
submarineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:53   #3
GSK88

The only Armalites I've had were CA's. Great guns and aside from aesthetic mods they all ran stock and all ran perfectly fine for thousands of rounds. I was in the same boat as you, G&P vs. CA but in the end the availability of CA's vs. G&P's swayed my favor.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 13:32   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Thats a controversial subject and highly dependent on how good of a day the factory is having.
I've seen CA's last 2 years, I've seen them last 2 games, and I've seen them come broken in box.
Just as well I've seen the same out of G&Ps, some last 2 years, some last 2 games, I've heard of them coming broken in box but never seen it myself.

But really if your going to upgrade the internals anyway, G&P is the way to go. Best get the most solid externals you can right away since that's the REALLY expensive part.
But there's a trick to G&Ps that will maximize their lifespan, SHIM THE GEARS BEFORE USING IT.
#1 issue on G&P's is gear shafts breaking, I shimmed an M16A3 before use, it went through well over 40,000 rounds and a year and a half without anyone opening it before it came back to me. Only problem was the barrel got bent and the piston head was about to break, gears were fine.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 18:17   #5
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

I own both brands, I'd rather go CA

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 18:33   #6
SDS_ShooterMcGavin

Send a message via MSN to SDS_ShooterMcGavin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Thats a controversial subject and highly dependent on how good of a day the factory is having.
I've seen CA's last 2 years, I've seen them last 2 games, and I've seen them come broken in box.
Just as well I've seen the same out of G&Ps, some last 2 years, some last 2 games, I've heard of them coming broken in box but never seen it myself.

But really if your going to upgrade the internals anyway, G&P is the way to go. Best get the most solid externals you can right away since that's the REALLY expensive part.
But there's a trick to G&Ps that will maximize their lifespan, SHIM THE GEARS BEFORE USING IT.
#1 issue on G&P's is gear shafts breaking, I shimmed an M16A3 before use, it went through well over 40,000 rounds and a year and a half without anyone opening it before it came back to me. Only problem was the barrel got bent and the piston head was about to break, gears were fine.
I fielded that M16A3 ThunderCactus is referring to for about 6-7 skrims, and i've owned a couple CA M4's before. I'll never go back to CA, That M16A3 was a force to be reckoned with, even with a 7.2 battery.

My advice, is go with the G&P.

"Were not that good... Everybody else just sucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Flaming a guy on his question, no matter how stupid it sounds, is to me not a professional way helping out nor answering the guys question.
SDS_ShooterMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 18:51   #7
scooby
Id say get what ever one you like the looks of best. You will be upgrading it anyway, dont even fool yourself that you wont.

A couple of people are going to chime in and say "OH I've been playing 5 yrs with the same gun stock, and its great I see no need to upgrade."

These people are still on there first bag of bbs, and delusional.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 19:03   #8
manchovie

Send a message via ICQ to manchovie Send a message via AIM to manchovie Send a message via MSN to manchovie
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
Id say get what ever one you like the looks of best. You will be upgrading it anyway, dont even fool yourself that you wont.

A couple of people are going to chime in and say "OH I've been playing 5 yrs with the same gun stock, and its great I see no need to upgrade."

These people are still on there first bag of bbs, and delusional.
...and killed over and over again by upgraded guns when they play. neither brand lasts long out of the box. if you want reliable performance without having to open your gun before playing get a tm or a systema. the japanese seem to actually understand and care about stock parts cooperating for a long time out of the box.

my b/s rating

Last edited by manchovie; October 22nd, 2009 at 19:07..
manchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 19:21   #9
SDS_ShooterMcGavin

Send a message via MSN to SDS_ShooterMcGavin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchovie View Post
...and killed over and over again by upgraded guns when they play. neither brand lasts long out of the box. if you want reliable performance without having to open your gun before playing get a tm or a systema. the japanese seem to actually understand and care about stock parts cooperating for a long time out of the box.
Yes and if you do go with TM and want to keep it stock, and you don't mind the M14. GO WITH THE M14! Hands down best stock AEG i've ever fired.

"Were not that good... Everybody else just sucks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
Flaming a guy on his question, no matter how stupid it sounds, is to me not a professional way helping out nor answering the guys question.
SDS_ShooterMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 22:05   #10
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

My first gun was a TM - the gears shredded when running a 9.6
I disposed of that abomination and bought a CA. Never looked back.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2009, 22:33   #11
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grattoj2 View Post
My first gun was a TM - the gears shredded when running a 9.6
I disposed of that abomination and bought a CA. Never looked back.
Ditto. Got a brand new TM M4A1. Laster a whole 1000 or so rounds before the gears decided to snack on themselves. I was running a 2000 mAh 9.6V nunchuck battery. I'm sure the rate of fire was no more than 15 / sec. Got a new set of gears (Modify Modular), and within less than another 1000 rounds, the mechbox snapped (still on stock spring, never dry fired needlessly either). So yeah, my faith in TM got shattered from the start.

But my second AEG, my CA M15 - was fired on a 9.6V from the first day. Never had an issue with it. It went at least 40000 rounds before being opened for first servicing and a spring upgrade. At the same time, I added a Systema spring guide, tappet plate, piston, piston head and cylinder head. But really, other than the spring, none of the stock parts needed replacement.

Within about 500 rounds (lasted 1 game), the Systema piston exploded. I replaced it with the stock CA piston. Within another couple of hundred rounds, the tappet plate broke. I replaced it with the original CA tappet plate. This was at the beginning of last summer. That gun's been my main gun since for outdoor games, and it's still running and hasn't been opened.

So other than the Systema silent cylinder / piston head set, spring (MS110SP @ 385 fps) and a Modify nozzle, that gun is still running all stock parts and has seen a minimum of 60000 rounds in its lifetime. And it hasn't given me the slightest problem. The gun has seen many external mods since (converted to a C7A2 including Guarder receiver), but internally it's still going strong.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 14:15   #12
ratnest

so thats 5 for ca, 2 for g&p and 2 for tm,

tm is out becase i want a metal body.

so this hasn't become easier a decision, but you guys have given me really good info to consider.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 16:51   #13
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

My TM G3 was a tank, kept firing after the mechbox shell broke, only lost 5fps and it didnt damage the hop chamber lol
And anything CA makes, G&P also makes, G&P is the M4 whore of the airsoft gun companies. They make dozens of M4 variants lol
They also make RIS systems that don't freaking WOBBLE. Screw you CA and your wobbly RIS!
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 22:31   #14
ratnest

ca has issues with wobble?
Old October 23rd, 2009, 22:59   #15
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Ditto. Got a brand new TM M4A1. Laster a whole 1000 or so rounds before the gears decided to snack on themselves. I was running a 2000 mAh 9.6V nunchuck battery. I'm sure the rate of fire was no more than 15 / sec. Got a new set of gears (Modify Modular), and within less than another 1000 rounds, the mechbox snapped (still on stock spring, never dry fired needlessly either). So yeah, my faith in TM got shattered from the start.
You do know that stock TM M4 only use a 8.4 mini. when you run the 9.6 nunchucks your chance of shreding the internals almost doubled.

Ratnest, whether its G&P or CA neither of them are better that the other out of the box, the QA are a hit and miss. Like Manchovie said both are nice AEG but still need a bit of work as for asthetics the G&P are better but for metal body construction I have to lean towards the CA they use a slightly heavier metal and are known to be a bit more robust than G&P (I have broke both bodies before)
Another choice that you might consider is a higher priced point King Arms Complete AEG their M4 series are quite nice (I have their Troy CQB, Noveske)

*Edit* The first thing that broke on my G&P SR25 was one of the spur gear, it broke right on the axle, next was the piston and all this was by the second game and maybe 200 rnds

Last edited by wildcard; October 23rd, 2009 at 23:05..
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion