Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ACOG, Aimpoint, EOTECH- RDS comparison

:

Accessories Discussion

Old January 10th, 2008, 03:56   #1
rockafella

Question ACOG, Aimpoint, EOTECH- RDS comparison

Ok guys, just curious, what is the criteria you guys used to select your RDS sights. Wether you have an EOTECH, ELACAN (not really and RDS) an ACOG, or the more common aimpoint COMP2 or another brand real or clone i am curious to know why one would pick one over the other, or is one better than the other for certain situations etc. Tell me what you have an why you picked it for use with your rifle.
Old January 10th, 2008, 03:57   #2
rockafella

OK, let me start this off:

Personally my favorites are the Aimpoint and the ACOG but the EOTECH is starting to grow on me for a a more LE look.

I like the Aimpoint becuase of its versatility for use as a strictly RDS for CQB, but when added with an aimpoint 3x magnifier can be used for more longer range shooting application.

I like the ACOG becuase for some reason it just looks so bad-ass, I like the integrated BUIS and just the over all look. I like that it has a bullet drop compensator.

But mainly I like them both becuase I am a fan of the whole US spec ops loadouts and it seems that this is the standard sight these guys like to use.
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:54   #3
eel one

Send a message via MSN to eel one Send a message via Skype™ to eel one
I use a L3 EO-Tech model 551 holographic sight. I got the sight before the clone war started so a clone model was not an option. However if I had to take the choice today a clone would still be absolutely out of the question.

I have been using both optics and rds before and there was always a problem. The scope obviously had magnification which is more or less useless for setups below M140 and the rds was close to useless intensive ambient light conditions. So when a team mate finally got the possibility of importing the EO-tech to Denmark I imeaditly got one for the following reasons:

-> A wide brightness setting from very low to very high (no replica can do this).
-> A.65 reticule (the small dot and large ring is easy to see and rives a very fast target acquisition).
-> High quality product that wont brake any time soon unlike the replicas (and if it does it can be repaired possibly by factory warranty).
-> Laser technology have less front lens glare than rds (yes I do spot people on this).
-> It is recoil proof so I can also use on my hunting rifle.
-> It is NV compatible.

There is a long list of other advantages by choosing the original sight over the clones, but they was not a part of why I when for the original L3 EO-Tech 551.

eel one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 13:35   #4
Firewalker

Send a message via ICQ to Firewalker Send a message via AIM to Firewalker Send a message via MSN to Firewalker Send a message via Yahoo to Firewalker
I go by what's issued to the general soldier... So ACOG it is in my case. It doesn't matter what scope is better, it just matters that my kit is accurate.

However, I'd still pick the Trijicon ACOG over anything else for a couple of reasons (I got to test one out at a store, not the best scenario, but still better than nothing).

1) The auto "on-off" of the illuminated reticle makes switching from bright to dark conditions easy. Great for CQB when there is different lighting conditions. It also makes it easier on the soldier as he doesn't have to take his hand off his gun to adjust to the conditions.

2) No batteries and it stays bright for 11 years. Hooray!

4) Decent eye relief and wide array of Reticle options (Mil-dot, chevron, yellow, green, red, etc)

5) Very solid. There's pictures of one that took an AK47 round to it and still worked as it did out of the box. You will not break this thing.
Old January 10th, 2008, 14:08   #5
Danke

I've always like the idea of red-dots from the very first Aimpoint, I had one on a Mossburg 500 in my real gun days.

I like shooting with 2 eyes open at short range or with pistol and SMG.

I like the clones myself as my life does not depend on it.

The EoTech style really seems to the best current solution for me.
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 14:11   #6
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post

5) Very solid. There's pictures of one that took an AK47 round to it and still worked as it did out of the box. You will not break this thing.
Saw that picture, and read the description too. And no it DID NOT work after, but it saved the troop's life..
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 14:27   #7
Amos

I like the look of an ACOG on stuff... But for airsoft, it's hard to beat those little low-profile RDS

G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 14:59   #8
Lakonian
kos

Get the real deal. C-More has some cool shit. http://www.cmore.com/sights.html
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 15:54   #9
Groombug

The Trijicon TA-01/TA-31 ACOGs are not red dot sights. They are magnified optics.

Choosing optics (beyond just RDS/magnified glass) is about the fundamental question: "What do I need to complete my mission?"

It is NOT about what looks cool, what other dudes use, what is cheap, what is a hawt topic in an optics forum, or any of that.

It IS about what YOU need out of an optic to fulfil/assist your mission requirements.

For example, don't choose magnified glass if you're doing close-quarter work in buildings. By and large magnified optics have slower acquisition and have short eye relief (Accupoint and Short Dot, etc. are exceptions), and you don't need to see the dirty pores of your target in order to zap him.

If you're doing DM work at 3-600 yards, chances are you're better off not using an RDS. Something with adjustable magnification and wind correction may be better.

修身齊家治國平天下
Groombug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 18:03   #10
Voodoo

im running an AIMPOINT with a 3x multiplier with a quick detach for CQB or a hand off to a buddy.

all replicas
Old January 10th, 2008, 19:15   #11
rockafella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
im running an AIMPOINT with a 3x multiplier with a quick detach for CQB or a hand off to a buddy.

all replicas
+1
Old January 10th, 2008, 21:04   #12
rockafella

more Hollywood "oops" ..or maybe not?

on a side note, does anyone know why anyone would attach their aimpoints on backwards. If you guys have seen Tears of the Sun Bruce Willis's character has his on backward and so does this SWAT/ERT guy (bottom pic).

Last edited by rockafella; January 11th, 2008 at 03:34..
rockafella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 21:51   #13
Ronan
Official Crybaby Chairsofter

I use a aimpoint and a impoint 3x zoom on my PTW. Looks awesome, performs even better.
Ronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 23:58   #14
El Cactus Loco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockafella View Post
more Hollywood "oops" ..or maybe not?

on a side note, does anyone know why some operators attach their aimpoints backwards.
maybe its so the adjustment dials are on the left side of the gun. this allows adjustment without taking your hand off the pistol grip/trigger.
this would also be a better solution than turning the aimpoint in its scope ring/mount because then it keeps the windage on the side and elevation on top.
El Cactus Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 00:12   #15
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cactus Loco View Post
maybe its so the adjustment dials are on the left side of the gun. this allows adjustment without taking your hand off the pistol grip/trigger.
this would also be a better solution than turning the aimpoint in its scope ring/mount because then it keeps the windage on the side and elevation on top.
That is so not the case...

First of all, the Aimpoint Comp ML/2 (and any red dot / reflex dot or holo sight system for that matter) will NOT function backwards... have you ever looked at your opponent while he's had his gun trained on you and you saw a big red dot where his eye should be?

No.

That's because the reflectors are designed to work one way.

Second of all, you don't need to reverse an aimpoint to get the controls on the left side - the Aimpoint Comp ML/2 is an ambidextrous design: Want to switch the controls from the right side to the left side? No problem: loosen the optics mount and rotate the RDS 90 degrees counter-clockwise and tighten the mounts. There you have it, the controls are now left hand accessible while your right hand remains on the trigger.

What was once your elevation control is now your windage control and vice versa. That's why they're not labeled as "windage" and "elevation" on the device, because those terms are simply relative. A label is just that... regardless of what either one is called, they do the same thing, and that is to pull or push the projector toward or away from the knob along the knob's axis of control.

Last edited by ILLusion; January 11th, 2008 at 00:15..
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion