Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

TLP 4000 charger

:

General

Old November 25th, 2007, 23:45   #1
Nydilius

TLP 4000 charger

I recently purchased this charger, and it came with a sad sad set of documentation. Fortunately I did manage to find a good post that answered all my questions about it but one.

It came with this 3 pronged DC power cable monstrosity that looks like an oven plug. Now, the outlet in the back of this charger easily fits an old PC power cable I have instead of "The Beast". I have set the charger itself to 110v, and the single piece of paper tells me that if the outlet doesn't match the wall socket then to get a simple adapter, but will this PC cable work just as well? or does the adapter actually alter the voltage somehow? (from AC to DC, or some other doomahicky? )

Would rather not have to go out and buy yet another tidbit if I can avoid it. And I swore when I got it that it was usable on the North American grids.
Old November 25th, 2007, 23:46   #2
Nova316

I use a pc power cord for my TLC 4000c works like a charm
Nova316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 23:51   #3
Nydilius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
I use a pc power cord for my TLC 4000c works like a charm
Gravy, I thought that was the case. Just thought I would check just to be sure. (Karma hates me, I'm the only person on the planet who could buy a lotto ticket and wind up OWING money)
Old November 26th, 2007, 00:01   #4
Nova316

Haha just make sure u dont keep it plug in all the time, and it'll be fine
Only have it on when u need it to be on
Nova316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 00:13   #5
Omi-san

The adaptor from UK plug (Type G) to North American (Type B) only cost 2 or 3 bucks at "The Source".
Omi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 19:21   #6
Nydilius

How safe is it to charge a 1200mah stick off a car battery with this charger? I'm assuming that there is no way it will drain a car battery dry off 2 or 3 charges eh? Or should I keep the engine running to avoid a dead battery? (never was good with electronics)

And anyone have probs with this thing undercharging batteries? I charged the aforementioned stick battery using the lowest setting per a battery/charger faq I read earlier. It charged for about 1.5 - 2 hours then went to trickle charge and started beeping. "whee its done" I thought. 2 days later I stick it in the rifle, get through about 2.5 lowcaps and its done. (wasn't subjected to cold temps in the intern)

Haven't managed a full battery charge with this thing yet, and don't want to crank the settings and wreck a battery till I get some more informed info.
Old December 7th, 2007, 19:31   #7
swatt13
Captain Awesome

the battery takes all the dumb out of the situation. its a peak charger so essentially you cant over charge your battery. however since its a peak charger, it doesnt "fill" up the battery. the best analogy i got was like filling a glass of beer, the foam makes the glass full, but settles down and theres more room for a charge, so when it peaks and goes back to trickle (beeping) just click it back to fast one more time to fill it all the way up.

i have found with this charger though every couple of times it will do a "dry" charge like you described (charge batt, but will either be dead first shot, or shortly after) dunno why... mostly happens with minis i found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven
a Systema PTW is like KD, where the noodles are plated in gold and the cheese sauce is actually a pool of hot naked women.
swatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 20:25   #8
Nydilius

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatt13 View Post
the battery takes all the dumb out of the situation. its a peak charger so essentially you cant over charge your battery. however since its a peak charger, it doesnt "fill" up the battery. the best analogy i got was like filling a glass of beer, the foam makes the glass full, but settles down and theres more room for a charge, so when it peaks and goes back to trickle (beeping) just click it back to fast one more time to fill it all the way up.

i have found with this charger though every couple of times it will do a "dry" charge like you described (charge batt, but will either be dead first shot, or shortly after) dunno why... mostly happens with minis i found.
Ahhh gravy. Was hoping it was just a fluke thing. Thanks muchly.

And kudos for the beer analogy! Assistance with a brewy twist. Gotta love that.

Last edited by Nydilius; December 7th, 2007 at 22:23..
Nydilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 20:46   #9
Nydilius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydilius View Post
Gravy, I thought that was the case. Just thought I would check just to be sure. (Karma hates me, I'm the only person on the planet who could buy a lotto ticket and wind up OWING money)
And the karma strikes!! A few weeks and the charger just doesnt work now. I discharge and that seems to work, battery is warm after, but i cant charge at all.

I plug in a battery and it just beeps every 2-3 seconds with the trickle charge light on. I fast charge (1-1.5a, tried with both my 1200mah and a new 1400mah intellect stick batteries) and it seems like its doing its thing, but after about 30 minutes it goes back to beeping-trickle and the battery is cold.

I checked the fuses and all is well. This has me totally stumped since it has all of 1 button and the dial on it. Not sure how to even trouble shoot this kind of thing. Have I got a lemon-charger on my hands (ie. time to buy a new one already), or is this some mind numbingly simple doo-dad that is striving to make me look like a gibbering tard?

addendum: After leaving the 1400mah in the charger for a few hours on trickle charge it DID get a partial charge.. didnt warm up at all, but worked quite well through a few low-caps. So the trickle charge is working just the fast charge does nothing.

Last edited by Nydilius; December 21st, 2007 at 00:05.. Reason: tested trickle charge
Nydilius is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General