Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

What makes a good 24 hour event?

:

General

Old December 20th, 2005, 17:50   #1
JOHNUSA

What makes a good 24 hour event?

This is my first thread here on as canada so be gentle. :smack:

I am doing some research on the canadian way of playing airosft. I am from the States. I have noticed alot more games in canada are played over night. At least in comparison.

I would like if you are so kind? To hear in everyones opinion; what makes a good 24 hour event. (milsim)

This thread should not be seen as a way to define night games in canada. I am sure there are alot of diff opinions on that. Just to share some information across the great lakes so that we americans might get to shoot eachother up at night.

I will share what i thought after i hear some opinions. :tup:

Here are some pics of the field to fire the inspiration.
http://battlefrontpaintball.com/

ps i like how your guys drag eachother out. We just hold hands lol :angel:

Thanks
JOHNUSA aka HNIC
JOHNUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 17:57   #2
Oddjob

IMHO - Being able to relax near a bon fire and toss a few pints back after the guns go away
Oddjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 18:00   #3
Ducky

Send a message via MSN to Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Ducky
Welcome, Well I cant speak for the rest of Canada but here in MB. We have had an even called survivor. The first one which unfortunatly I was not as much a part of lasted a week, and the second which I was out for the entire time was 3 days.

Those events last the entire span, where a few individuals usually around 5. Stay out in the forest the entire time, the rest of the community is welcome to stay out and hunt them down continually whenever they want. The experience can be alittle nuts as you are constantly on alert.

I cant take credit for the creation of that OP but I really enjoyed being apart of the second one. The nights were abit nuts especially when it was completely dark.
Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 18:50   #4
Aquamarine
PanSexual

Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
Here's a few thoughts, please keep in mind they are just my opinions.

-A good field: you can't have a decent game without a good field. The Edmonton field that I played a couple 24 hour games at is amazingly large and very well laid out. The Tamran field in Charlotte, North Carolina is equally huge, but also very hilly and it makes for amazing over-night games too (only played two there)

-A good scenario: Shooting & re-spawning is great, but it gets incredibly borring when you are doing it for 24 hours with no specific objectives. Get a good story-line, plot, even cast and voila, you have the potential makings of a game people will remember (and want to come back for)

-Good pricing to attend: The NC games were $40USD which at the time ('99 and '00) was INCREDIBLY expensive, while to attend the Edmonton 24-hour games was something to the tune of $25-30 at the time - very reasonable. People will lose interest if you over-charge them.

-Gimmicks: Having gimmicks is always a frill. Look at the big games in Mantiba, they went so far as to rent a helicopter to fly in troops. Blasyman (a user on this forum) has a custom made mortar, .50 Browning Machine Gun and other 'toys'. Chalcus (also from this forum) is a prop designer and has made some amazing props for his local games.

Just some munchies for thought.
Old December 20th, 2005, 18:55   #5
Greylocks

Honestly? A good dose of luck and an excellent team of organizers.
Sounds stupid, but it's not.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 19:24   #6
FNG

Pyro! Lots and lots of pyro. I've only played one night game so I'm by no means an expert on the subject. That said, the game I did play in had a designated guy setting off the fireworks all night. It's been my experience that most people can't see shit in the dark. Stands to reason, since humans weren't designed with the ocular abilities of cats and owls. So, you have to let people wandering around a large playing area in the dark know where the action is taking place. Having very clear objectives and a couple very responsible and saftey oriented people on each team setting off para flares and fireworks the whole time keeps the action tight for some people. For those who want the stealth and adrenaline of sneaking up on an enemy position in the dark. Well, now they will know where that position is. What with all the shadows, bright flares destroying yours, and their, night vision, you can still get right up to an enemy position before they know it.

So to precis: A) Very clear objectives. B) Lots shit that blows up and makes pretty colours. C) People who can be trusted to blow shit up and make pretty colours in a safe manner.

Like I said, I'm new to this so others might have a lot better information to offer. Good luck.
FNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 19:35   #7
Gish

-Lots of planners and game admins. You can never have enough help espically @ a 24 hour game, people running the show need to rest as well. Make sure the planners know exactly what is going on as much as possible, as well they always have the means of contacting each other (Good radios, runners, etc)

-Backup plans / Alternative scenarios. All operations fail on first contact. The scenario you planned to last for a good 4 hours of movement/contact was just completed in 30 minutes due to some good luck.. So what now? Better have a plan B scenario or a way to bump up the schedule and tack on games @ the end.
Alternatives are always needed in case of something going wrong or plans not working out. If it's the first time for a big game and something isn't working right - Something like the spawn points/extraction method is working well, better setup an alternative before things get ot of hand and the whole scenario falls apart.
Gish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 19:43   #8
-Trooper-
a.k.a. Egria

Ya, the field has to be good, and if you're organizing a game make sure there is no chance of rain.

PURVEYOR OF FINE PARACORD PRODUCTS

www.beaconconceptsco.com

Click Here For ASC Thread

Team GHOSTS - G86
-Trooper- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 19:46   #9
Gryphon

FNG is spot on about having qualified people do your pyro for you, especially if there's invitees playing. It will cost you a little more but they carry liability insurance and have training and experience to make sure people and property stay safe. Very important considering how litigous America has become.

Whiny punk: "Ouch I got an ember in my eye and I'm blinded for life!"
Judge: "The defendant is ordered to pay damages in the amount of 25 million dollars."

Established objectives are also critical. A plot isn't really necessary but definitely helps out.

Props are a huge bonus, especially functional ones. I picked up a 4-channel radio remote control relay box for $30 CAD, has a small keychain remote with four buttons and a 12 volt relay board with antenna. Hook up a battery and wire up a simple circuit, and you instantly have remote controlled devices of all manner. Anything electric powered can be controlled by it such as mines, alarms, lights, noisemakers, directional cannons, etc.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 20:03   #10
MadMorbius
1) Organization. Laid out well in advance, months or years even. Detailed maps of the environment, complete with mil grids. Release monthly or randomly released intel reports to build the story and develop the atmosphere before players hit the field. Teams identified well in advance, with strict uniform guidelines so that players have lots of time to aquire the uniform that corresponds to their team of choice. There should be a strong, believeable plot that allows for total immersion, not just "rescue the downed pilot".

We do it be writing a short story. Then we translate the story into a screenplay of sorts, and we assign actors to fill key roles. Then we open up the other roles to the population. That way, there are players on each side who know the score and know what to do. They're "in character" and fighting, but won't give away the surprises. The actors help to lead the players in the right direction in case they get off track, but mostly let them do their own thing.

2) Organizers are NOT players. They are not actors. Organizers are running the show, not playing the game. They must all understand the objectives, the fall back objectives, the fall back fall back objectives, etc.

3) There must be contingencies for any imagineable situation. If you plan the operation with the expectation that force A will be able to hold onto Item 1 for 8 hours, but force A pulls a fuckstick on you and secures item 1 in 10 minutes, you have to be READY.

Players need things to do if things go bad, i.e. what to do with the troops if a no-duff comes up, etc. Things they can do without losing the immersion, suc as sending them on another "FLASH TRAFIC" objective or something so they're not sitting around for hours waiting for instruction.

4) Places for each team to hole up seperately in case of inclement weather or for meals / rest periods. Both teams need to be kept seperate at all times unless they're exchanging plastic. Otherwise, strategies get leaked, objectives get discussed, information leakage occurs.

5) Supplies. People are stupid, and they never bring enough supplies. Stock the bases (seperate bases, remember) with water and food, as well as a power source and battery chargers. Players shoud ruck out to their base, and that's where they'll operate from for the duration. They won't be returning to the safe area, or the their cars, so there should be latrines dug and TP / wetnaps available. a Blue Rocket is always a nice touch, for those who can't get a handle on shitting in the woods.

6) Props. Buildings. Bridges. Vehicles. Trenches, bunkers, towers...all as reaslistic as possible.

Start with that.
Old December 20th, 2005, 20:03   #11
Yeoman

Send a message via MSN to Yeoman
one thing no one has said yet; actual player participation and encouragement.
IC's game in August could have been amazing, unfortunately no one wanted to spend money to try and get authentic and have a good ol Vietnam game (shut up sean I was working! leave me alone!).
Greg
Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 20:06   #12
bruce
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to bruce Send a message via MSN to bruce
Gas powered generators to power flood lights around a base camp. The defenders can't hear and the attackers can go through blind spots. We had to use smoke to cover our approch to the camp in the middle of the night!
Old December 20th, 2005, 21:22   #13
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

The essencial was said.

I must add: A scenario that is as realistic as possible, yet, leave some rooms for fun. Even if people tell you that they are hardcore milsimmers, most come in unprepared and wine when they have to assume defensive position for a long time with no action. So the senario must allow a mix of action and more realisme like sentry duty and shits like that.

A GOOD comunication network is also very important. Shitty talkabout radios are NOT good communications tools.

Give a range of frenquency to each teams, and leave channel 1 for admins and emergency (example).

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 21:54   #14
attack-beaver

and it cool when playin to randomly hear something over the radio like emerg medivac and maybe squads would be cool like if theres the right amount of people so five or ten men squads with a leader of some kind to bring that added amount of realism to the game and with good radio conversation can make or break a game.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2005, 22:07   #15
Pyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNG
Pyro! Lots and lots of pyro.
Wow, I'm flattered. :grin:

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General