Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The ultimate Airsoft Guide

:

General

Old February 28th, 2017, 13:15   #1
Liam90

The ultimate Airsoft Guide

Hiya AC!

My name is Liam and I am trying to get the word out for my a huge airsoft guide I completed writing recently.

You may have seen it around and on other airsoft websites already, it's my comprehensive guide on everything airsoft!

It's around 75 pages long and took me 2 months to write and an additional 4 months to refine and edit. I've written it mainly to act as a reference for beginners and newcomers to this awesome sport.

Take a look at it if you'd like and make sure to share it with your younger cousin or something
Liam90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 13:48   #2
RainyEyes

Three words: table of contents.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 14:48   #3
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
This. It would be instrumental for properly sequencing your guide and aiding navigation for specific topics.

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 14:54   #4
Liam90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmodus View Post
This. It would be instrumental for properly sequencing your guide and aiding navigation for specific topics.
WHAT! There was a TOC, I must have messed it up. It's back

Last edited by Liam90; February 28th, 2017 at 15:00..
Old February 28th, 2017, 15:38   #5
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

"There are a few disadvantages of spring powered airsoft snipers. For one, it becomes taxing to manually operate the bolt for every shot."
Gonna have to disagree on that one. If your arm is getting tired from pulling back a 500fps spring, you should be using an LMG to spray and pray, not a bolt action rifle lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 15:46   #6
Liam90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
"There are a few disadvantages of spring powered airsoft snipers. For one, it becomes taxing to manually operate the bolt for every shot."
Gonna have to disagree on that one. If your arm is getting tired from pulling back a 500fps spring, you should be using an LMG to spray and pray, not a bolt action rifle lol
LOL! Yeah that comment was a bit tongue in cheek
Old February 28th, 2017, 18:20   #7
luke198

Awesome guide, especially for a newcomer like me. I really liked the BB guide also; I had no idea which BBs I should use for which gun.
luke198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 18:49   #8
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

I'd make note that with stock guns, accuracy can drop off between 100-150ft, but it's normal for an upgraded gun to be accurate in the 200-300ft range.

Bolt actions can have hits out to 400ft. But shooting beyond 300ft requires more luck than skill, as even the slightest gust of wind is going to put your BB 3ft off target.

Discharge is amperage, and it's more relatable to the TORQUE of a car.
In that, you can have 600hp, but if your engine only produces 20lb-ft of torque, you're not going anywhere fast. Just like if you try to run a setup that needs 22A on a 10.8v NiMH mini battery than only supplies 6A, it's not going to move nearly as fast as a 7.4v lipo with a 60A discharge.
Also, much like a truck towing a load, the torque (amperage) is what's actually going to get the system moving under load.

Rule of thumb on the BB weight is pretty unrealistic. The goal is to run the heaviest BB possible without losing range for maximum accuracy.
However, I'd lay out the general chart more like this:
300-350 (indoors) .20s
300-350 (outdoors) .25s
350-400 .28s
400-420 .30s
420-450 .32 to .34
450-500 .36 to .43

I've got an M24 shooting in the 460 on .20 range, and .36s are way too light.

Otherwise, everything looks pretty spot on. Good job.

I don't know if you wanna overload them, it's already pretty long, but maybe toss in a short explanation of muzzle energy and joule creep.
Just so people know that just because your gun shoots one muzzle energy on .20s, doesn't mean it will shoot the same muzzle energy on a .28.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2017, 10:36   #9
Liam90

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke198 View Post
Awesome guide, especially for a newcomer like me. I really liked the BB guide also; I had no idea which BBs I should use for which gun.
Glad I could help! I actually wrote a whole separate guide where I examined the best airsoft bbs and which you should use. Make sure to check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
I'd make note that with stock guns, accuracy can drop off between 100-150ft, but it's normal for an upgraded gun to be accurate in the 200-300ft range.

Bolt actions can have hits out to 400ft. But shooting beyond 300ft requires more luck than skill, as even the slightest gust of wind is going to put your BB 3ft off target.

Discharge is amperage, and it's more relatable to the TORQUE of a car.
In that, you can have 600hp, but if your engine only produces 20lb-ft of torque, you're not going anywhere fast. Just like if you try to run a setup that needs 22A on a 10.8v NiMH mini battery than only supplies 6A, it's not going to move nearly as fast as a 7.4v lipo with a 60A discharge.
Also, much like a truck towing a load, the torque (amperage) is what's actually going to get the system moving under load.

Rule of thumb on the BB weight is pretty unrealistic. The goal is to run the heaviest BB possible without losing range for maximum accuracy.
However, I'd lay out the general chart more like this:
300-350 (indoors) .20s
300-350 (outdoors) .25s
350-400 .28s
400-420 .30s
420-450 .32 to .34
450-500 .36 to .43

I've got an M24 shooting in the 460 on .20 range, and .36s are way too light.

Otherwise, everything looks pretty spot on. Good job.

I don't know if you wanna overload them, it's already pretty long, but maybe toss in a short explanation of muzzle energy and joule creep.
Just so people know that just because your gun shoots one muzzle energy on .20s, doesn't mean it will shoot the same muzzle energy on a .28.

Hey thanks for all the suggestions! I'll make sure to edit them in when I get a free minute!
Old March 1st, 2017, 13:14   #10
RainyEyes

You should probably remove the crossman from the list of bb's to use... Even as a "budget" bb brand, they will probably destroy your budget trying to get a replacement barrel. The reason why no one uses them for their aeg's is exactly like you stated: they don't polish as well. The seams and dents in Wal-Mart and Canadian tire bb's will scratch and destroy the insides of your barrels which is why they "trail off sooner".

The Wal-Mart bb's are only good for grenades and grenade launchers. Do not use them in anything longer than 2 inches in length....

Also, I'm noticing a trend where you go for quantity over quality. Your word count =/= reliability or quality... There are a few grammatical inconsistencies in your guides.

If you could provide empirical research, either first or second hand results, it would greatly boost the confidence of your readers, rather than self-proclaiming having shot over 2 million bb's......
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General