Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Quick DIY anti-fogging tip

:

Gear Discussion

Old April 10th, 2016, 10:54   #1
Rossco66

Smile Quick DIY anti-fogging tip

I was just introduced to this yesterday while playing hockey but I'm sure it will translate to Airsoft eye protection.

I typically used shampoo as an anti-fog agent in my hockey visor and it works reasonably well. Last night the guy I was sitting next to in the dressing room took out a can of Pledge furniture polish and sprayed it on the inside of his visor then wiped it clear. I had never seen this before but he raved about how great it worked and I figured what the hell and gave it a go.

Well it smelled lemony fresh and there wasn't a hint of fog at any point. It worked better than the shampoo by at least 50%. I wouldn't put it on the inside of something that still has the anti-fog from the factory but I definitely will try it wear I've used anti-fog wipes in the past.

I thought some of you might find this little tip helpful.

Enjoy the 2016 season everyone.

Rossco
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:19   #2
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Silicone oil also works, technically anything that moisture doesn't bind to well will prevent the moisture from condensing.
Cool tip, not sure if I'd like to do that with goggles or glasses, so close to they eye you could leave some residual and then drip some sweat and perhaps get it in your eye or irritate your skin.
On a visor tho would be good I'm sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:33   #3
AnthonyG
LUser Title

That's exactly what I was thinking. Pledge in the eye is probably not very pleasant.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

*Busy signing for his packages*
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 12:45   #4
devbro

during winter I used shaving cream for car windows. The only trick is that after you apply, you wait a minute or two then remove as much of it as possible .
devbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 14:06   #5
Rossco66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
Silicone oil also works, technically anything that moisture doesn't bind to well will prevent the moisture from condensing.
Cool tip, not sure if I'd like to do that with goggles or glasses, so close to they eye you could leave some residual and then drip some sweat and perhaps get it in your eye or irritate your skin.
On a visor tho would be good I'm sure.
Your absolutely right Hectic. A modicum of common sense is required not to get the pledge into the foam surrounding the goggles. Putting it on the lens of normal goggles (not low profile) should not pose a problem but to each his own.

I just thought I would pass it along.
Old April 10th, 2016, 15:30   #6
grimreefer

I have tried all of the usual quick tips like shampoo etc...I used to fog up my ESS turbofans with thermal lenses. I recently invested in fogtech for my balistic glasses. It works great until water starts streaming down the inside of the lenses. So it does work against fog for a while but if you sweat through your eyeballs like me, it doesnt take long before that moisture has to go somewhere. I don't know what else to do...
Old April 10th, 2016, 15:35   #7
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreefer View Post
I have tried all of the usual quick tips like shampoo etc...I used to fog up my ESS turbofans with thermal lenses. I recently invested in fogtech for my balistic glasses. It works great until water starts streaming down the inside of the lenses. So it does work against fog for a while but if you sweat through your eyeballs like me, it doesnt take long before that moisture has to go somewhere. I don't know what else to do...
The combo of fog tech revision fan goggles and thermal lense works damn well however at some point you will get moisture. Best bet is back up goggles. Swap out when super damp. Once they dry out your others will be damp.
Obviously in BC your luck will be worse especially dependant on your location/elevation.
Here in ontario at 25 degrees feeling like 35 with humidex ill get fog especially when I sit still especially with the ghillie on lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 15:42   #8
Rossco66

I'm not sure how well they work but the Haber system which works with some sort of humidity sensor look interesting. Not sure how much they obstruct the top part of the lens though.
Apparently the fan comes on automatically when humidity builds and turns off if it dissipates.
Old April 10th, 2016, 16:24   #9
grimreefer

Just bought another pair of ess turbofans. Yayy...I love rebuying gear. Tried to make the ballistic glasses work but apparently I need a fan...
Old April 10th, 2016, 19:47   #10
Red Dot
Google level: BOSS

Best thing that works for me is using my mesh mask to prop open the bottom of the seal of my Desert Locusts. That tiny crack helps like nothing else and it's still 100% BB proof.
Red Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 09:16   #11
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

johnston and johnston baby shampoo is used as an antifog agent in nasa space suits. Good enough for nasa, good enough for me.

Also it doesn't irritate the eyes if it comes off the lens and gets into your eye somehow. I'm not sure I want a chemical wood cleaner/polish in my eyes.
Old April 11th, 2016, 12:36   #12
grimreefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
johnston and johnston baby shampoo is used as an antifog agent in nasa space suits.
I was curious about this so I googled it. Couldn't find anything. What's your source?
Old April 11th, 2016, 16:50   #13
Jolly_Green

Just my 2 cents but Ive found Dawn clear dish soap to work wonders as well. Better then the anti fog wipes ive tried before.
Jolly_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 19:11   #14
Kos-Mos

Just bought some Rain-X for my car... gonna try that in my old googles see if it works.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 23:56   #15
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Or, you know, actual dedicated anti-fogging stuff.

All you're doing is filling all the micro-pores in the lens and/or putting a thin hydrophobic film on the lens.

Yes, dish soap works great, but it's always just a matter of how LONG it will work for.
Dish soap DOES work, but if you get enough humidity on the lens, the dish soap, or shaving cream, or shampoo is (guess what) soluble in water, and washes off.
If you use a hydrophobic liquid, then it doesn't wash off very quickly at all.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion