Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

First gun suggestions

:

Gear Discussion

Old December 29th, 2014, 16:00   #1
True_Minecrafter

First gun suggestions

So I have my mind set on an AK style but want a short CQC AK like the AKS74U or similar. Here is the link

And before you say I won't be able to import it, I will, I just contacted CBSA and they said that if the gun shoots between 366-500 it is able to be imported.

Is this good for my first gun or should I go with something else. And I will also need to know where I can go to change my spring so I can play at the field I want to.

Thanks!

Last edited by Cobrajr122; December 29th, 2014 at 18:09..
True_Minecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 16:46   #2
ShelledPants

Or, you know, you could pay less from a certain Toronto airsoft retailer.

It will work. It will break if you abuse it. They can be upgraded, but are not ideal. Pay the extra $30 or so for the steel receiver.

Throw an 11.1v lipo in it and buy some mid caps and a charger. You'll be set to get thrashed. Learn to love it.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:12   #3
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
Or dont be a silly billy and get a gun that doesnt use crazy banana mags that dont fit in anything other then oversized pouches.

Unless you are one of those poeple that enjoy running around with 500 bbs per mag and enjoy spraying and praying.

Dont buy plastic if there is a metal option. Dont buy out of country if their is a Canadian option. Even if its cheaper it will end up being he same price or more since evike uses UPS which will charge you an almost 50% brokrage fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:30   #4
Strelok

Be silly, get the gun that uses the oversized banana mags.

They're more solid guns than those junky AR's . Magpouches are easy as hell to find for AK mags anyway. And '74 style mags fit fine into pretty much any STANAG compatable pouches.

As mentioned above, go for full metal. No sense buying plastic because you're going to pick the thing up and wish you had spent the extra dosh.

And yeah, don't bother importing, you're not saving yourself anything.
Strelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:30   #5
True_Minecrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
Or dont be a silly billy and get a gun that doesnt use crazy banana mags that dont fit in anything other then oversized pouches.

Unless you are one of those poeple that enjoy running around with 500 bbs per mag and enjoy spraying and praying.

Dont buy plastic if there is a metal option. Dont buy out of country if their is a Canadian option. Even if its cheaper it will end up being he same price or more since evike uses UPS which will charge you an almost 50% brokrage fee.
Gun= $120
HST= $15.60
Shipping= $47.06
Entry Prep= $30.40
Total= 213.06

Still significantly less than any Canadian retailer I've seen.
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:32   #6
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

You are forgetting the UPS "random amount we like to charge because fuck you lol" charge. Usually in the 30%+ area of the total value of the item.

You also forgot that $120 USD = $140 CAD

Gun= $140
HST= $18.20
Shipping= $54.76
UPS Brokerage= $26.60 + aforementioned UPS random charge
Entry Prep= $30.40 (what even is this?)
Total= 269.96+

Last edited by Cobrajr122; December 29th, 2014 at 17:37..
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:34   #7
True_Minecrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
Be silly, get the gun that uses the oversized banana mags.

They're more solid guns than those junky AR's . Magpouches are easy as hell to find for AK mags anyway. And '74 style mags fit fine into pretty much any STANAG compatable pouches.

As mentioned above, go for full metal. No sense buying plastic because you're going to pick the thing up and wish you had spent the extra dosh.

And yeah, don't bother importing, you're not saving yourself anything.
Where is there plastic on the gun?
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:44   #8
True_Minecrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrajr122 View Post
You are forgetting the UPS "random amount we like to charge because fuck you lol" charge. Usually in the 30%+ area of the total value of the item.

You also forgot that $120 USD = $140 CAD

Gun= $140
HST= $18.20
Shipping= $54.76
UPS Brokerage= $26.60 + aforementioned UPS random charge
Entry Prep= $30.40 (what even is this?)
Total= 269.96+
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:49   #9
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Oh my, wherever did I get "UPS Brokerage= $26.60" from? I wonder...

You can read their policies all you want but until you get a UPS guy at your door asking for more in just brokerage than the item is worth, send him away and spend 2 weeks arguing policy with a numpty on the phone jsut for them to loose the package, you don't know what its like. Just don't use UPS for international shipping, ever.
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:50   #10
daishi

Send a message via MSN to daishi
You come to us asking for help then try and tell us we are wrong.

I think the majourity of the people posting here have at minimum been playing and shipping airsoft related stuff for 5 years plus.

We know what we are talking about.

And junky, strelok? Heracy! Tho I do prefer the Scar variants myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latvian291 View Post
This is one of the funniest things I've read.
Commandment 1 of LMGesus: Fuck getting kills. That's the job of your teammates, otherwise known as the cannon fodder. Your job is to be scary.
daishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 17:54   #11
True_Minecrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daishi View Post
You come to us asking for help then try and tell us we are wrong.

I think the majourity of the people posting here have at minimum been playing and shipping airsoft related stuff for 5 years plus.

We know what we are talking about.

And junky, strelok? Heracy! Tho I do prefer the Scar variants myself.
Never have I said you are wrong. Any of you. I am just showing you what I found out.
Old December 29th, 2014, 18:10   #12
siggypoo

The niceties of what you, and your fellow posters, are saying might differ. Sure.
The spirit of what your fellow posters are saying should have your attention carefully paid.
If they are saying buy in Canada as opposed to importing, I strongly suggest you buy within our borders. As well, windowshop ASC's for sale classifieds and post your want in the wanted classifieds. And be patient. If you're going to take the plunge, may as well do it from a reputable source (ASC), likely pay far less (ASC), and invest your coin back into fellow ASC members and supporters (...ASC).
I've bought my guns excusively from these classifieds and will buy nowhere else.

Old December 29th, 2014, 18:14   #13
ShelledPants

Or you could, you know, just go do it and not seek out any sort of social pat on the back.

If you end up spending less than in Canada, I'll rub your belly, and call you a good boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggypoo View Post
The niceties of what you, and your fellow posters, are saying might differ. Sure.
The spirit of what your fellow posters are saying should have your attention carefully paid.
If they are saying buy in Canada as opposed to importing, I strongly suggest you buy within our borders. As well, windowshop ASC's for sale classifieds and post your want in the wanted classifieds. And be patient. If you're going to take the plunge, may as well do it from a reputable source (ASC), likely pay far less (ASC), and invest your coin back into fellow ASC members and supporters (...ASC).
I've bought my guns excusively from these classifieds and will buy nowhere else.

That would require him to be over 18 and have the common sense to meet with an Age Verifier.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2014, 18:15   #14
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Here is what it boils down to.

There is a retailer local to you with what you want on sale - and likely cheaper then ordering in from the US after taxes and even shipping if you can't make it to him. He has a slightly more expensive version (likely better) as well, that would only cost slightly more then the one you want form the states.

Buying local means you have a warranty that does not require shipping over borders.

If you really can't afford the small difference in price for most guns in canada vs getting them from the US, this might not be the hobby for you. It only gets more and more expensive.

With all that said though - We can't tell you what to do, only give you our experience and knowledge.
Old December 29th, 2014, 18:18   #15
naminator

It aint worth it.

If at all possible get age verified and buy something from the classifieds. With all the cheaper guns in canada, most people are willing to sell things for pennies on the dollar.

Buy in canada. If something is wrong it will be a pain to ship it back to evike. Or maybe you get that one cbsa guy with a massive erection who decides he wants to make an example of you.

Yes you can, but buy canadian. Even saving 100$ isnt worth it if you have to wait 3 months for cbsa to release your gun, or the hassle of shipping it back because something doesnt work?
naminator is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion