Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

"Must* Upgrades For ICS-41 M4A1

:

Newbie Tank

Old January 30th, 2013, 19:33   #1
Uberg33k

"Must* Upgrades For ICS-41 M4A1

Total noob to Airsoft just wanna get that out there. lol I purchased the weapon I mentioned in the title. I was just wondering what if any are essential upgrades for it. I do want to add a rail system so I may mount a mono-grip. It came with a "upgrade kit," not sure if it's of good quality.

Also, is dismantling similar to it's original counterpart? I haven't field stripped a a rifle since I was in the service almost 17 years ago but I do still remember the process. I just didn't want to start messing with this because it's obviously not the same thing. Thanks all and great site by the way.
Uberg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 19:35   #2
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West

you should be able to find some disassembly videos on you tube, Ics is a little different than most airsoft m4s
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 19:51   #3
L473ncy

First would be to upgrade the player not the gun.

Second, wait until things start breaking or you have an idea of the upgrade path you want to take, no reason to throw money at something when it doesn't need it.
Old January 30th, 2013, 20:02   #4
Uberg33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
First would be to upgrade the player not the gun.

Second, wait until things start breaking or you have an idea of the upgrade path you want to take, no reason to throw money at something when it doesn't need it.
Copy that on the second half of your response. However the first half I'm not crystal clear on? You mean "upgrade the player" as in my experience in the sport? Or was that an insult? Sorry I can't tell. lol
Old January 30th, 2013, 20:08   #5
kalnaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberg33k View Post
Copy that on the second half of your response. However the first half I'm not crystal clear on? You mean "upgrade the player" as in my experience in the sport? Or was that an insult? Sorry I can't tell. lol
We have a saying: If you have to ask what to upgrade, you're not ready to upgrade.

Basically until you have an appreciation for how the gun performs stock you're not going to be able to take advantage of an upgraded gun, or know that your deficiencies are in the equipment and not the player.

I assure you he wasn't being insulting.

Some new guys think experienced players are so much better because they run tricked out equipment. I guarantee you if you give any experienced player a stock Tokyo Marui shooting 280 FPS, they'll still outperform new guys by a wide margin.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."

Last edited by kalnaren; January 30th, 2013 at 20:10..
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 20:11   #6
Uberg33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
We have a saying: If you have to ask what to upgrade, you're not ready to upgrade.

Basically until you have an appreciation for how the gun performs stock you're not going to be able to take advantage of an upgraded gun, or know that your deficiencies are in the equipment and not the player.

I assure you he wasn't being insulting.
Thanks for the clarification kalnaren. I just wanted to make sure because I bought the weapon and it came with an "upgrade kit" so I was worried that maybe it needed it out of the box. Thanks again.
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:24   #7
HackD

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification kalnaren. I just wanted to make sure because I bought the weapon and it came with an "upgrade kit" so I was worried that maybe it needed it out of the box. Thanks again.
Bone stock, any ICS should in theory last you for a while. No need for an upgrade kit really, except for the sake of the upgrade kit.

As far as add-ons, I'll mirror what others have said already. Get it out to a few games first - eyeball what others have done that appeals to you ergonomically and aesthetically. If you are so bold as to ask nicely, many players will allow you to pick it up and shoulder it in the safe area to try it out for size/comfort. Airsoft tends to be a great show-and-tell for grown-ups, in that way.

Once you figure out what you want to do, is do some further research, and perhaps some online shopping domestically or from Asia.

Note - before embarking on a mods quest for your ICS - do your research first. For example, the threading (Real steel imperial threading vs TM metric threading) on the receiver for the barrel nut (of most) ICS M4 products does pose some issues for aftermarket RIS/RAS's with a metric barrel nut threading.. not insurmountable, but aggravating. This is one of the issues of owning ICS.

ICS kind of went their own way in some aspects of their M4 airsoft design, including some of the internals, and dimensions.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:33   #8
Uberg33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
Bone stock, any ICS should in theory last you for a while. No need for an upgrade kit really, except for the sake of the upgrade kit.

As far as add-ons, I'll mirror what others have said already. Get it out to a few games first - eyeball what others have done that appeals to you ergonomically and aesthetically. If you are so bold as to ask nicely, many players will allow you to pick it up and shoulder it in the safe area to try it out for size/comfort. Airsoft tends to be a great show-and-tell for grown-ups, in that way.

Once you figure out what you want to do, is do some further research, and perhaps some online shopping domestically or from Asia.

Note - before embarking on a mods quest for your ICS - do your research first. For example, the threading (Real steel imperial threading vs TM metric threading) on the receiver for the barrel nut (of most) ICS M4 products does pose some issues for aftermarket RIS/RAS's with a metric barrel nut threading.. not insurmountable, but aggravating. This is one of the issues of owning ICS.

ICS kind of went their own way in some aspects of their M4 airsoft design, including some of the internals, and dimensions.
Thanks for the input. I plan on doing something similar. I'm in no rush.
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:34   #9
L473ncy

Quote:
When I say upgrade the player not the gun it basically means you could have the best equipment but still be outplayed by more experienced people. Sure it's nice to be on a level playing field but for example a new motorcycle rider on a tricked out GSX-R litre bike could still get his ass handed to him by a semi pro or pro rider on a stock, out of the factory 250cc street bike. That's because the more experienced person is more attuned to their limits and has a better feeling as to how to shave off a couple seconds here and there and by the end of it has made enough time to catch up and beat the more powerful bike.

It's nice to have good stuff but experience will make up for the difference most of the time. Hell, I still run an arguably mid/upper mid end gun and although sometimes I wish I had a few upgrades here and there for better accuracy/range I can still play aggressively and make up for the difference.

Another example; I bought a full Burton snowboard setup back in 06 (it was hella cheap and a great price) but I know that a semi pro rider given entry level stuff could whip my ass in a race or in a freestyle competition.

Last edited by L473ncy; January 30th, 2013 at 21:37..
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013, 21:55   #10
Uberg33k

Quote:
When I say upgrade the player not the gun it basically means you could have the best equipment but still be outplayed by more experienced people. Sure it's nice to be on a level playing field but for example a new motorcycle rider on a tricked out GSX-R litre bike could still get his ass handed to him by a semi pro or pro rider on a stock, out of the factory 250cc street bike. That's because the more experienced person is more attuned to their limits and has a better feeling as to how to shave off a couple seconds here and there and by the end of it has made enough time to catch up and beat the more powerful bike.

It's nice to have good stuff but experience will make up for the difference most of the time. Hell, I still run an arguably mid/upper mid end gun and although sometimes I wish I had a few upgrades here and there for better accuracy/range I can still play aggressively and make up for the difference.

Another example; I bought a full Burton snowboard setup back in 06 (it was hella cheap and a great price) but I know that a semi pro rider given entry level stuff could whip my ass in a race or in a freestyle competition.
I see what you mean, however, I won't be playing a CQB style. I'll be playing on my families land in Meyersberg, over 15 acres, and I'll be playing with my fellow servicemen both current and former. We'll be playing a more open and stealth based game. Some of us served in the same platoon together and we've done this before. Sometimes we don't even fire a shot. lol It's not about the shooting for us it's the stealth, a adult version of hide and seek if you will.

Why go airsoft then you may ask? Simple answer, we're use to using real weapons in combat scenarios. I know it's NOT the real thing but it's close enough for what we do. Hey speaking of Canadian Military weapons; does anyone here know if they make a airsoft version of the FNC? It was the rifle my Father did his BMQ with and he'd love to have it as a collectors item of sorts.

But really, thanks to all whom has responded, I am a noob to this great world you guys have, I apologize for not making it clearer in my original post.
Old January 30th, 2013, 22:02   #11
L473ncy

Quote:
Hey speaking of Canadian Military weapons; does anyone here know if they make a airsoft version of the FNC? It was the rifle my Father did his BMQ with and he'd love to have it as a collectors item of sorts.
Yes and no....

It's made but not that common so you're not totally likely to see one in Canada (it's mostly AR's and AK's, some MP5's and G36's, not too many G3's and the like). Also it's the standard FN FAL not the CF specific FNC (like the difference between an M16 and a C7). It really depends on how heavy you want to go into creating the specific look.

Off the top of my head I know Classic Army makes one and I believe I saw one when I was thumbing through the King Arms catalogue. I'm sure Tokyo Marui makes one as well but those will be rare as hell.
Old January 30th, 2013, 22:07   #12
Uberg33k

Quote:
Yes and no....

It's made but not that common so you're not totally likely to see one in Canada (it's mostly AR's and AK's, some MP5's and G36's, not too many G3's and the like). Also it's the standard FN FAL not the CF specific FNC (like the difference between an M16 and a C7). It really depends on how heavy you want to go into creating the specific look.

Off the top of my head I know Classic Army makes one and I believe I saw one when I was thumbing through the King Arms catalogue. I'm sure Tokyo Marui makes one as well but those will be rare as hell.
I figured it would be. Going to look still. If anyone reading this knows of one please let me know.
Old January 30th, 2013, 22:16   #13
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

If you come out to a good long milsim game most of it will be the "hide n seak" type of thing. I personnaly play the sniper roll most days and rarely fire a shot on those days (unless i screw up lol).
Watch the events section and get out to a game or two with the local guys here in the gta. Alot of the folks we play with are current or retired CF and LE guys and they are a tonne of fun to play with and learn from cause lets face it they should and do know their shit.
As far as upgrading ill also say aside from maybe a beter hop up rubber and maybe an inner barrel there isnt really a need to open up gearboxes and such untill somethin fails and needs replacing and by the time that happens youll have an idea on where if anywhere youd like to improve the gun.
As for the FNC get age verified and gun info such as where to fimd one will come to you easily but we dont share such info till we are sure your an adult ( not that i doubt you are just the lil system our community has in place sort of self policing if you will) but i do know G&G and Star make an FNC aeg not surd if anyone else does.

GandG for your viewing enjoyment lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 07:11   #14
Uberg33k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
If you come out to a good long milsim game most of it will be the "hide n seak" type of thing. I personnaly play the sniper roll most days and rarely fire a shot on those days (unless i screw up lol).
Watch the events section and get out to a game or two with the local guys here in the gta. Alot of the folks we play with are current or retired CF and LE guys and they are a tonne of fun to play with and learn from cause lets face it they should and do know their shit.
As far as upgrading ill also say aside from maybe a beter hop up rubber and maybe an inner barrel there isnt really a need to open up gearboxes and such untill somethin fails and needs replacing and by the time that happens youll have an idea on where if anywhere youd like to improve the gun.
As for the FNC get age verified and gun info such as where to fimd one will come to you easily but we dont share such info till we are sure your an adult ( not that i doubt you are just the lil system our community has in place sort of self policing if you will) but i do know G&G and Star make an FNC aeg not surd if anyone else does.

GandG for your viewing enjoyment lol
Thanks for the info. The version of the FNC I want to find is the mostly wood variant. It's the same one my Father used in the mid eighties. But I would settle for one like the above if it was the only option. As for the playing style I enjoy that slower methodical style of game. When we went on maneuvers at Base Borden, Meaford and Petawawa we'd regularly hold 'games' like that for training purposes. I even remember us hosting joint-force maneuvers with the USMC. Lot's of fun. We're trying to recreate that feeling with our games. Almost all of us are retired Military (God that makes me sound old but I'm really not... old. lol) so we enjoy that type of scenario. One things for certain this site is perfect for an FNG like myself. I've been going through the pages reading up on things. Great stuff boys. Keep up the good work.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank