Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Need help deciding on a primary weapon

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old September 15th, 2012, 21:38   #1
WingsEdge

Question Need help deciding on a primary weapon

Hey guys, as the title says, I am a beginner airsofter, I have been following the sport for a a few years and have done some research so i know most of the basics, but due to financial reasons i was never able to actually get in and play
Since I am starting, I would like a reliable platform that will last me a long time. And no doubt i will be upgrading it whenever i can in the future (starting with tightbore and hop-up to make those China-clones super accurate).

These are the options I am considering (in no particular order):
G36:
JG MK36K - http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4219
I know the TSD/SRC G36K has vastly superior externals (with fibreglass-reinforced nylon, as opposed to the molded ABS on the JG), but I have seen some owner responses, including one here on ASC, that have stated there can be serious quality control issues that affect the basic function of the gun. also, its internals are proprietary and not compatible with aftermarket standard parts, which is unacceptable by me, as I will need to upgrade.

AK74M:
CYMA CM047C - http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4006
OR
CYMA CM040C - http://www.airsoftgi.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4737
Both these guns are full metal. From what i understand, the first one, the CM047C is the OLDER version, with all metal parts being pot metal/alloy, and uses Ver. 3 Tokyo Marui compatible internals. Whereas the CM040C is newer, has a STEEL receiver and dust cover, with all other metal parts being pot alloy, and uses Ver. 3 VFC compatible internals.
CYMA's naming scheme is messed up.

I also have some general questions about the physical durability of guns. With NORMAL use (I don't bang my guns on trees and cars and such), has anybody run into any problems with molded ABS or pot metal externals? Also, has anybody had rust or corrosion problems on steel parts? (from what i understand, pot metal is a blend of cheap metals like tin, zinc, aluminum... etc. and chemically, they are nowhere near as susceptible to corrosion as steel, and don't "rust".

If there is another nice clone gun that would work as a good beginner platform, please don't hesitate to suggest it. One condition though, no M4/M16 or any AR type guns, I don't like that family of guns to begin with, and I see WAY too many of them.

Thank you so much, any help is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, an airsoft noob.

Last edited by WingsEdge; September 16th, 2012 at 01:05..
WingsEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 21:52   #2
Disco_Dante

Cyma's numbering scheme has always been in standard numerical order. The 47C should be the one with the steel receiver.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 22:00   #3
L473ncy

You are correct that the CYMA 040 uses the VFC/LCT mounting system while the 047 uses the TM system for the front end. Not sure about the steel/monkey metal thing though.

Also have you seen a cool rusted steel AK? They look SICK, does this not make you want to get a cool weathered AK (not sure if that's Real Steel or airsoft, I found them on my computer and don't remember the context of how I got those)?

http://i.imgur.com/vwXJz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/BPVYJ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VOc1G.jpg

As for other beginner guns may I suggest the JG or CYMA MP5, or the Echo1 P90.
Old September 15th, 2012, 22:07   #4
WingsEdge

I personally dont like the look of weathered guns, im one of those idiots who like to maintain their guns to look like mint condition (chipped paint and silver scratches already irritate me, let alone rust lol), even something that is supposed to look rugged like an AK.
Old September 15th, 2012, 22:34   #5
BennyBoy

those look pretty bad ass, looks like it's gone through a hundred
I like the used look too but I rather it naturally look worn then cosmetically worn down
BennyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 22:35   #6
JerryMcGoulBerry

All are good guns but with shipping brokage and what not, you're adding 140$. Just buy canadian. A VA36 (which is just a re branded jg) would be you best bet.

You can get the cm AKs from airsoftdepot. They sell a lot of cyma stuff.
JerryMcGoulBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 22:51   #7
WingsEdge

Jerry thanks for the advice, but i am buying this as a part of a much larger order with other people, we worked out the brokerage fees and duties and everything and in the end we're still saving quite a bit. plus, now that the law's changed all the items are perfectly legal and should pass customs.

Last edited by WingsEdge; September 15th, 2012 at 23:06..
Old September 16th, 2012, 00:08   #8
L473ncy

Just beware that you know what you're getting into.... But if you've done the math and it's right and you save a chunk of change that's worth it to you then go for it. (ie. I'll probably buy Canadian for an extra $20 or so because it's in country and I can get it "now" in 4-7 days whereas from overseas I'd have to wait like 3 weeks or whatever their delivery standard times are).
Old September 16th, 2012, 00:56   #9
SuperHog

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsEdge View Post
I personally dont like the look of weathered guns, im one of those idiots who like to maintain their guns to look like mint condition (chipped paint and silver scratches already irritate me, let alone rust lol), even something that is supposed to look rugged like an AK.
I doubt you can keep your guns looking like new once you start gaming it.

The more you use it, the more wear and scratches it will receive. After you gamed a dozen games, please report back your new looking gun.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:00   #10
WingsEdge

thanks, but back to the question at hand, the main thing i wanna know is whether molded ABS plastic or pot metal bodies (versus fibre reinforced plastics or full steel) are problematic in the long run in terms of durability. oh and i forgot to mention that i will be mainly playing woodland games. like does anybody have any issues with china clones breaking on them (externally) or anything like that?

Another thing i wanted to know is, which gun's iron sight is better (big fan of iron sights lol), the AK's rear notch and front post, or the G36's flip-up rear peep sight and hooded front post?

Right now, I'm kind of leaning towards the JG G36K, and then getting a KSK-style CNC alum carry handle/rail, and mounting HK416 iron sights on it. but i would like to hear all sides of the story and can still be easily swayed, as i am really torn between these two guns. knowing is half the battle, right?
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:21   #11
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

If you've done the math and you guys are going to save a bunch then by all means go for it. Just remember that just because you're within your legal rights doesn't mean the government is aware of it. Not all CBSA agents are fully aware of all importation laws. Guns and other items (airsoft and not) that are legal for import still get seized and sent for testing. This could mean you won't receive your gun for several months, this is a real possibility and however large or small you should be aware of and willing to accept the potential risk.

I personally like to support Canadian businesses whenever possible, if the difference is "small" I'd rather support my local airsoft store. It helps them grow keeps my money in Canada and doesn't promote excessive shipping distances etc etc end of lecture.

As far as a choice between the guns you've mentioned. I say go AK but I'm bias and don't care much for the G36. Both have a v3 mechbox but the AK has the advantage of a motor cage. The G36 probably has a better hop-up design, easier to adjust IMO. AK mags are taller but don't have the awkward tabs on them which make G36 mags more difficult to maneuver in and out of pouches. AK gear and accessories are more abundant. Other than that it's really up to personal preference of ergonomics and aesthetics.

CYMA AK's have a good reputation for being a great gun for the price and should last you a while. Not sure the difference between the different models but I'd go with the VFC style it's more realistic.

Sights are really a matter of preference. The G36 iorns are more spread out across the gun, one could argue that they're more accurate. But the AK sights are closer to the front making them better for quick acquisition.

Bottom line is that generally speaking although they're lighter plastic bodies are weaker then metal ones, especially in the cold when plastic can become brittle. Rarely does anyone ever break their gun on purpose but guns break. No one can tell you where, when or if you'll break your gun.

Last edited by Kozzie; September 16th, 2012 at 01:42..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:36   #12
Disco_Dante

Ironsights are something you'll need to experience first hand. AK iron sights come naturally to me, everything lines right up instantly and I can acquire a target much faster than with an AR style peep sight. But the HK sights you mentioned I find equally effective, at least when I rotate the drum to open topped position.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:46   #13
WingsEdge

Oh kozzie, you have no idea, it was a hard decision for me choose to buy abroad and have it shipped, the other guys im buying with are all either cash-strapped and need the extra bit of savings, or need a specific gun that nobody (and i do mean nobody) in Canada carries new, or both (like me). We are all very well briefed on the current situation of airsoft law and are willing to take the risks to get what we want.

you said the g36 gearbox doesnt have a motor cage, this is a pic of the gearbox:http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/a...0204001700.jpg
theres like a metal arm thats holding the motor in place, but obviously nothing compared to the full cage of the cyma ver 3 ak, do you think that's going to cause any problems? and is having a cage really significant?

sorry for all the questions, still an inexperienced noob lol

Last edited by WingsEdge; September 16th, 2012 at 01:50..
Old September 16th, 2012, 01:49   #14
WingsEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
After you gamed a dozen games, please report back your new looking gun.
Yes sir, will do! XD

oh and disco dante, man you should hear me rave about H&K's drum and hooded front post sights, personally i think they are the best thing that ever happened to iron sights. I was kinda disappointed when the G36 didn't come standard with them, but that's just me and im kinda crazy lol.

Last edited by WingsEdge; September 21st, 2012 at 04:12..
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:19   #15
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Shirley you don't HAVE to buy with all those guys. If you want to order from out of country or not it's your decision right?

Basically what I was getting at is the main differences between the two are aesthetics and ergonomics. Neither is definitively leaps and bounds better than the other. You need to chose which one best suits you. I'm assuming you've found some reviews on them and neither of them are inherently shitty? If so neither will be a bad purchase.

They both have very similar mag releases but the selector switches are quite different, which do you prefer?

G36 has a fixed pistol grip, the AK grip can be changed to suit your preference.

The G36 can be converted to take STANAG mags the AK not so much.

Is one heavier than the other? do you like that?

Have you considered batteries? does one hold a larger battery allowing you to play longer without switching?

Which one is best suited to the gear you plan to get/have?

Why don't you just go into your local airsoft store or to a game and see them in person Shoulder them both see which one feels best to you? That should help you decide even if it's not the exact models you're looking at. Or maybe go to GI and see them before you buy.
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion