Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

the G3-SG1

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 16th, 2005, 13:22   #31
ODA

So if you do choose to get a G3 SG-1, what will you make it?(Support, sniper, assualt, or grenadier)
ODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 18:18   #32
attack-beaver

may idea was a sinper grenadier. some major internal upgrades. inner barrel and anything that would give it more range and acceracy. then a M203 but that is last thing that will be done to the gun plus i wont have the M203 with out a sidearm first.
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 21:19   #33
D_oo_S

Send a message via MSN to D_oo_S
Here what a G3Sg1 looks like with a M203.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun_pic_1.jpg (183.8 KB, 106 views)
Old June 16th, 2005, 22:30   #34
attack-beaver

now that is the look i want. But it looks like if i moved the M203 back a little i could fit a bi-pod or i'am just seeing things
attack-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 00:20   #35
D_oo_S

Send a message via MSN to D_oo_S
I don't think you could put a Bi-Pod on that... it would get in the way of the 203... and if you could... It would look goofy in my opinion.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 01:26   #36
jamesjost

personally i wouldnt go with the m203. for the kind of shooting that the G3 is meant for, its just not a good combo, plus it will add to the weight. not that you need one, but if you tend to lay prone for any length of time a bipod is great on a big gun. also, if you did get the m203, it would most likely be really awkward to reach to load/arm it.
thats just my 2 cents.
jamesjost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:08   #37
airsoftpress

G3 is easy to upgrade (the internals) and maintain. And the hi-cap mag can hold almost 470 rds of BBs. It is a little too heavy though (compare to the MP5s).
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:09   #38
airsoftpress

I would not go with a M203 on a G3. It makes the gun very difficult to hold by hand.
Old July 10th, 2005, 00:39   #39
tentacle

airsoft newbie with military issue G3 experience

Hello all.

You can smell the milk on me when it comes to airsoft; I'm a total noob. However, I have used and fired a real G3 during two years of my life when I served in the Portuguese military. I don't recall the variant but suspect it was a G3A3 because of the caracteristic green plastic stock and green plastic barrel. Back then I had plenty of other things on my mind and wasn't really interested in details such as model variants; I just knew it as "the G3".

I began to love it the moment I fired this weapon and I (we all did) fire it regularly both semi-auto and full-auto. It felt great to handle, dismantle, mount, etc. It weighed about 4.5Kg, if memory serves, and we did everything with it, carried it everywhere, trained with it and paraded with it. We used it principally as an assault rifle but would from time to time train sniper with it. It was very accurate and not once did mine jam up on me all the time I had it. I get all excited just remebering...

Anyway, I've just been turned-on to the sport of Airsoft and have a G3-SG1 on order. I know I'm not going to be satisfied with the plastic so of course I'll be getting as many metal parts as are made for the SG1. Which brings me to a question I'd like to ask you guys who know more about this than I do: which metal parts ARE available for the G3-SG1 ?

Based on what I've read here in the forums I've read references to a total metal body. However, I've only been able to find places that sell the metal receiver and cocking tube, both fore and aft. Where can I get a complete metal kit ? Thanks.

Regards,
Tentacle
tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:09   #40
BC_K
Banned

I don't recall their being a FULL kit. You have to buy the upper & lower receiver together & the cocking handle assembly seperately. Kinda daft in my mind but that is life.
BC_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:08   #41
Greylocks

You can buy most anything metal for the G3, but it becomes almost heavyer than the real version. And yes, you must buy it piece by piece.
I dont know why there is not a Kit. I remember just replacing the upper receiver and it made a huge difference.
If you are not a big person, it IS a big and heavy gun to move around.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 14:28   #42
DonP

I used an SG-1 for a long time several years ago. I like the SG-1 but as an airsoft gun it did not impress me.

The main problem is that the inner barrel and nozzle/hop-up junction are just not very rigid, limiting top-end accuracy.

For example, if you pull off the flashider, you can wiggle the inner barrel easily with your fingertip. It moves when you fire, making each shot a little different from the last. Not something you want if you're aiming for accuracy potential.

Every time I see someone describe the SG-1 as "accurate" I wonder -- "accurate" compared to what? I see the SG-1 as suffering from inherent design issues that fundamentally limit the potential accuracy.

The other thing is that while the sling pin (front) is metal, it's anchored inside in just a bit of plastic. If you make a habit of carring the SG-1 on a sling, it's going to break sooner rather than later.

Never used the metal parts. I'm sure they would help the sling problem but not sure about the rest.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 14:46   #43
BC_K
Banned

Heh, I fixed the barrel wobble like this. Unscrewed the outer barrel off, took an old bus transfer, cut it in half, wrapped it around the inner barrel and twisted it downwards into place so inner barrel could NOT move at all.

Accuracy was very consistant after that.
BC_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 15:41   #44
tentacle

accuracy

There's the accuracy that is a measure of a person's aim and then there's the accuracy that is the measure of a weapons ability to deliver a tight grouping consistently. For example I had never before fired anything in my life when I began using the G3. Firing at what I was aiming for was a novelty to me, consequently I did not hit the target at where I was trying to aim. However, the weapon gave me a tight gouping. It can be said that the weapon is accurate.

Regards,
Tentacle
tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 19:00   #45
Disasterpiece

Send a message via MSN to Disasterpiece
Definately, I'd have to go with sniper conversion. Something like this:

Disasterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion