G&G M4 FPS Upgrade

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old April 8th, 2009, 10:07   #1
Metzler

Send a message via MSN to Metzler
G&G M4 FPS Upgrade

Hello all,
First I want you all to know i spent hours going through the threads to see if there was a prior user that asked these questions and of course there are a mix for all different guns. I did not find anything directly related to my gun.

I just purchased this gun a week agao and while field testing it with .2s it rang in around 320-330fps and with .25s it hit around 290-295.

I am not looking to hurt anyone but during that game i noticed several pistols shooting just as far as my M4, doesnt really please me to know that lol.

So I have been of course informed the spring is an instant FPS upgrade but depending on what you get can damage your gun.

Going onto Velocity arms they had a sale on all there Systema springs and the only one left was a M110, which i purchased for 12 dollars. I dont care if its the wrong one if it is i will give it to someone who can use it.

So can someone tell me if that Systema M110 is worth using and if so what else MINIMUM should i upgrade. I have no issue going to the max and upgrading everything but what do some people with lots of experience recommend.

Thanks for reading this I hope someone can help,
Metzler
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:23   #2
m102404
Tys

Personally...I hate upgrading everything just for the sake of buying fancy parts. Many "stock" parts from good makes perform perfectly well...if they're setup properly.

General things:
- make sure you have a metal spring guide...bearing stack or not...if a plastic one breaks, chances are extremely high that you'll damage other more expensive parts. A bearing stack will add 10-20fps.
- make sure you have metal bushings vs. plastic bushings. If you have 8mm bearings...you're probably stuck with those...I haven't seen readily availble 8mm bushings.
- make sure your gears are shimmed properly...this will allow them to take the increased load with a minimized risk of breakage/wear (they'll still wear...hopefully not break!)

A 110 spring will probably put you very close or over most field limits (400fps)...depending on other things (i.e. bearing piston head, compression, tightbore barrel, etc...). You may want to get a M100 spring (Modify makes nice springs...s90/s100/s110/etc) just in case.

That'd be a minimum of what you should consider...everything else is a bit of a tougher call to make.

Best of luck!

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:51   #3
hebet

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Personally...I hate upgrading everything just for the sake of buying fancy parts. Many "stock" parts from good makes perform perfectly well...if they're setup properly.

General things:
- make sure you have a metal spring guide...bearing stack or not...if a plastic one breaks, chances are extremely high that you'll damage other more expensive parts. A bearing stack will add 10-20fps.
- make sure you have metal bushings vs. plastic bushings. If you have 8mm bearings...you're probably stuck with those...I haven't seen readily availble 8mm bushings.
- make sure your gears are shimmed properly...this will allow them to take the increased load with a minimized risk of breakage/wear (they'll still wear...hopefully not break!)

A 110 spring will probably put you very close or over most field limits (400fps)...depending on other things (i.e. bearing piston head, compression, tightbore barrel, etc...). You may want to get a M100 spring (Modify makes nice springs...s90/s100/s110/etc) just in case.

That'd be a minimum of what you should consider...everything else is a bit of a tougher call to make.

Best of luck!

Tys
I agree with m102404, Modify makes very nice springs and a S100 should do you just fine. There are however other springs out there, so don't feel like you have to stick with just modify. I need to reinforce this, upgrade to metal bushing and a bearing spring guide and or a bearing piston head. When you get a spring with higher tension, it will have a tendency to spin and twist around inside the gearbox. That is why it's a good idea to get one or both the spring guide with bearings and a piston head with bearings. Tightbores can add 5-15 FPS as well. Take your time with shimming, It's not easy to do and I still have to perfect the art of shimming myself. Proper lubrication can help too. If you are still having trouble talk to you local gun doc.
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:58   #4
KND
* AV revoked *

I usually do gun doc by myself but the art of shimming that you are talking about is really give me headache, Everything else seem fine and I'm pretty sure that I can do and upgrade by myself. To save this headache, I just spend a little bit more to get the modify modular gear set. No need to shimming. Just a matter a few buck more. That would help me a lots.

KND

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 13:00   #5
AngelusNex
formerly Sepulcrum

Send a message via MSN to AngelusNex
Just get a tightbore for it. will give you better accuracy, fps and range. (about 20fps more tops) I suggest madbull black pythons. Don't worry about the spring.
AngelusNex is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications