Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Airsoft Battery Help

:

Accessories Discussion

Old March 29th, 2009, 02:39   #1
Peterocks123

Airsoft Battery Help

Ok so i just got this gun and a battery. Plug the battery in tell my brother to shut it off in 4 hours, come home later in 5 hours and its still sitting there charging, except its cold. Does this mean the charger is broken?

Charge info: Class 2 Power supply

Model:YU085025D1

Input: 120VAC 60Hz 12W

Output: 8.5VDC 250mA

Battery Link:
http://www.hitguns.com/High-Power-Ba...0mah-large.htm

Gun Link?:
http://www.hitguns.com/JG-MP5-RAS-Fu...72-mp5-ras.htm

Thank you so much in advance
Peterocks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:47   #2
Peterocks123

Bump, please someone help, if you cant help then point me in a direction that can? Thank you
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:51   #3
Sully
formerly chippy_125

Send a message via MSN to Sully
Have you tried plugging your battery into your gun to see if it worked? That should give you a pretty good idea about the state of your charger.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:52   #4
Peterocks123

Yeah ive tested it with my gun. It just made a clicking sound. It was like the same sound without a battery except louder but not by much
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:19   #5
LUTNIT

Cheap charger, cheap battery...could be either one. Charger might not be outputting, battery might not be taking a charge. At 0.25A charge rate the battery wouldn't get too hot anyway, even if you where overcharging it. At that rate you could probably leave the battery plugged in way over the specified time as the extra energy would dissipate in heat (not enough heat to damage anything.)

The links are broken for me, what brand is the battery?

Gun clicking means the battery is dead, doesn't have enough power to turn the motor over. But again it could be that the charger isn't charging or the battery isn't taking a charge. Best bet would be to find someone close who has a known working charger and see if it works. If so, you have a faulty charger, if it still wont take a charge it probably means the battery is toast. The fact that the cells where cold and not even warm would tell me that the charger is probably at fault.

*edit*
If you have a multimeter, check the voltage and amperage of the charger when its plugged in. Alternatively you could take a wire or pair of pliers or scissors (with insulated handles!) and see if you can get a spark when you connect the two prongs. This is a horribly bad idea for most things but since its only 0.25A it is fairly safe.

Last edited by LUTNIT; March 29th, 2009 at 03:22..
LUTNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:52   #6
Peterocks123

Its a Tenergy 8.4V SC 1500 mAh
Thank you so much
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:07   #7
LUTNIT

SC 1500mAh? Thats strange, SC usually stands for Sub-C and its a large cell, the smallest I have ever seen are 2400mAh.

Tenergy is cheap but works more or less. They don't last as many cycles as a quality pack and don't output as much voltage or amperage but they get the job done.
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:10   #8
Crunchmeister

Tenergy are decent batteries, so I'd also suspect the charger to be at fault in this case. It could be something as simple a faulty connector on the charger.

Regardless though, those wall-wart chargers are garbage. First thing to do when getting one of those with a gun is to toss it in the garbage and get a proper smart charger. Even when they work properly, those things can kill batteries if you don't monitor them proprely for the right amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUTNIT View Post
SC 1500mAh? Thats strange, SC usually stands for Sub-C and its a large cell, the smallest I have ever seen are 2400mAh.

Tenergy is cheap but works more or less. They don't last as many cycles as a quality pack and don't output as much voltage or amperage but they get the job done.
The crane stock battery that came with my JG 416 is made of sub-C cells and it's a 1500 mAh.
Old March 29th, 2009, 13:56   #9
Peterocks123

Ahh thank you so much guys, getting my friend to come over now that has a decent charger, thank you so much
Old March 29th, 2009, 14:16   #10
LUTNIT

I have never had a Tenergy last more than 2 years. Usually after about 2 seasons of use even with proper storage (80% charge in the fridge during the off season) they wont hold enough of a charge to fire more than 20-30 BB's after that time period. As said they also have lower than average voltage output and amperage supply. For the price they are great since they are very inexpensive, but they are not too great as batteries go.

As for 1500mAh SC cells, might be a case of smaller cells with a larger shell on them. I have seen it done with cheap capacitors from China where there is an extra shell to make them look bigger for some odd reason as they still have the same rating as smaller ones. Generally quality battery companies don't offer SC cells in less than 2400mAh in NiCd and 3000mAh in NiMh.

Last edited by LUTNIT; March 29th, 2009 at 14:18..
Old March 29th, 2009, 14:17   #11
Peterocks123

Yeah i figured it was going to be a bad battery but it only cost 20 bucks so if i can use it for even a year ill be impressed
Old March 29th, 2009, 14:34   #12
Crunchmeister

For the low price, Tenergy are decent, but they won't last like a good battery would. For a backup battery and more casual shooting, they'll do well. But you just can't expect them to last long, even with proper care.

The best is to go to www.cheapbatterypacks.com and order a battery pack built with high end Elite cells. Those things will have all the juice you need and last a long time.
Old March 29th, 2009, 14:52   #13
LUTNIT

Amen to that. I have some Elite packs that have been running for years without any drops in voltage or capacity. They consistently have higher outputs than any other brand of battery. Just avoid the 5000mAh SC cells, for some odd reason they don't have that much power, just a lot of endurance. The best Elite cells I have found actually at the 2000mAh I believe they are A cells, fit in PEQ boxes.
Old March 29th, 2009, 15:06   #14
Crunchmeister

Good to know about the 5000 mAh cells. I was considering a crane stock battery built with those. I may look into their lower capacity SC cells then. Cheaper that way too. But first I need a new pack for my P90 with 2/3A cells. I've heard great things about those Elite 1500 mAh cells.
Old March 29th, 2009, 15:24   #15
LUTNIT

With some simple modifications you can fit a J-battery into a P90. The one I just sold, a CA P90TR, had a 9.6V 2000mAh elite pack with A cells. Really nice ROF without going over the top.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion