Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Programming Saber II UHF radios

:

Gear Discussion

Old October 4th, 2007, 20:53   #1
MadMorbius
Programming Saber II UHF radios

Folks - I need to find someone who has the equipment and knowledge to program a whackload of Saber II UHF radios.

I know you Contra's had someone do yours so if you can share a contact it would be appreciated. Anyone else is welcome to chime in.

Thanks - Morb
Old October 4th, 2007, 22:34   #2
lupo

If no one else replies to this thread you can probably get it done at a motorola dealer. I had to get my Spirits reprogrammed so I just took it to the local dealer and they did it for a small fee.
lupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 23:46   #3
Gryphon

Small fee? You sure that was a Motorola dealer? Any time I've asked about getting a radio reprogrammed it was like a minimum of $50 and they'd refuse to do GMRS frequencies. That's why I pack a GP68.

I'd be interested to know of a reasonable place too, the cheesiness of the GP68 is starting to wear on me and I'd rather have something a little more robust, even if it means no field-programmable CTCSS.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:25   #4
Ibby

Send a message via ICQ to Ibby
I've got the equipment to do it, but like other places I won't do FRS/GMRS, and I'd need appropriate licensing paperwork for freqs outside that.
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:14   #5
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Ibby,

Are there any online resources that I can download to study up for the Amature Radio license?
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:17   #6
MadMorbius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
I've got the equipment to do it, but like other places I won't do FRS/GMRS, and I'd need appropriate licensing paperwork for freqs outside that.
Why not? The radios are 4 watt so there's no legal issue around using them to transmit on those bands. If it was a 6-10 watt Astro I'd understand completely, but these are older 4 watt setts....GMRS is max 5 watts.

If anyone has an old boat-anchor 486/50mhz computer lying around, let me know please. I may have to do this myself...

Last edited by MadMorbius; October 5th, 2007 at 08:52..
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:21   #7
ScottMcLeod

Send a message via ICQ to ScottMcLeod Send a message via AIM to ScottMcLeod Send a message via MSN to ScottMcLeod Send a message via Yahoo to ScottMcLeod
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
Why not? The radios are 4 watt so there's no legal issue around using them to transmit on those bands. If it was a 6-10 watt Astro I'd understand completely, but these are older 4 watt setts....GMRS is max 5 watts.

If anyone has an old boat-anchor 486/50mhz computer lying around, let me know please. I may have to do this myself...
See PM.

Last edited by ScottMcLeod; October 5th, 2007 at 09:23..
ScottMcLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 15:09   #8
Ibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
Ibby,

Are there any online resources that I can download to study up for the Amature Radio license?
Beats me. I don't have any licenses for radios. I just fix the things in the army. As always, Google is your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
To be more specific, I mean the FRS freqs including the ones shared by the GMRS range. The unshared GMRS range, no problemo.
Just curious, what's the allure of Sabre radios? They're built well and all, but they're old technology that still isn't cheap. There's better radios out there for cheaper...
Old October 5th, 2007, 15:29   #9
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Quote:
They're built well and all, but they're old technology that still isn't cheap. There's better radios out there for cheaper...
That do digital encryption? Link me...please!
Old October 5th, 2007, 15:32   #10
Ibby

Sure!
Old October 5th, 2007, 15:35   #11
gunscythe

Quote:
Ibby,

Feel free to PM me and I'll help. I teach and license ham radio, as well as program Sabers.
gunscythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 15:50   #12
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Quote:

Thanks smart ass, I foolishly assumed that because you were sig ops, you had perhaps something SPECIFIC you could offer in that department. I'll keep that in mind when I run into sig ops guys at SQ next year.

Never mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunscythe View Post
Feel free to PM me and I'll help. I teach and license ham radio, as well as program Sabers.
Thanks brother PM inbound.

Last edited by Blackthorne; October 5th, 2007 at 15:52..
Blackthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 16:02   #13
MadMorbius
Truth be told, I got a FANTASTIC deal on a set of 6 with a gang charger. I was able to outfit 6 people with UHF comms for the cost of a single commercial (albeit higher-grade) UHF radio.
Old October 5th, 2007, 16:05   #14
Ibby

Quote:
Thanks smart ass, I foolishly assumed that because you were sig ops, you had perhaps something SPECIFIC you could offer in that department. I'll keep that in mind when I run into sig ops guys at SQ next year.
A) Not a Sig Op. LCIS Tech. Sig Op doesn't pay nearly enough
B) I work at the school. See you soon!
C) I don't spoonfeed the noobs, or the vets. Need a hand with something technical? No prob. Ask me something like "what radio is the best?" and I lose interest. There's lots out there, depending on your criteria. As for Sabres, I'd prefer a newer CT250 or something over them if I wanted encryption. What I use for airsoft and 4x4ing in the woods is a Kenwood clone Abel TK378. A few guys in BCAC had them. I fixed one for a guy, built some headesets for others, then ditched the Icom F21BRs I was using in favour of the Abel. Damned good radio for the price.
Old October 5th, 2007, 16:13   #15
Lerch
* AV Status REVOKED *

As an aside...anybody around that can program Kenwoods?

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion