Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

The Middle Man

:

General

Old November 7th, 2005, 21:53   #16
Freedom Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGI
This would dubble the shipping cost and what if the middle man says "weee a free gun came in the mail for me WooT"
That's why you don't pick just anyone. Pick someone with a decent job, a kid, family, people who can't just pick up and flee the country at the drop of their hat with their newly aquired (and stolen) TM MP5k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedirkin
I volunteer to be the middle man.

I will randomly keep every 30th sale for myself to simulate problems in the buy/sell community

That's how much of a commitment to realism I'm willing to make.
ROFL Alan

I've suggested this idea many times, and so have others. I always thought it was a great idea but I was shot down everytime
Old November 7th, 2005, 22:15   #17
kymoz

Send a message via MSN to kymoz
For the double-shipping issue: Maybe the middle-man should be chosen according to the location of the Buyer. That way, the Seller sends the item to the middle-man, and when money is received, the middle-man gives the item to the Buyer at the next game the Buyer and the middle-man will attend.
I know that games during winter are not as frequent as in summer, so it would be longer to get the items.

Anyway, I don't know the exact number of transactions that occurs here on ASC, but the ratio of good transaction/a la GreenIgor transactions must tend to be in the range of 0,01%. The risk of trading on a forum, as smal as it can be, is the price you pay for the money you save on this kind of deal. Aren't able to bear the risk? Pay the full price of the retailers.

Kymoz
kymoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 22:38   #18
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Having traded online for almost 10 years, I'll say this. It's not always about saving a penny, for me it's more of a way to get rid of stuff I don't use anymore.

Having an escrow service for a larger trade would be usefull, since I doubt Tru is about to take trade-ins.

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2005, 22:58   #19
Shutter
Previously known as Volatile Psychosis

This isn't a bad idea, and since it would be voluntary, then if its not your style, its not a problem. The fact is, you can't run entirely off trader ratings. If a person has never bought or sold before, it doesn't make them a scammer, although anything is possible. I wouldn't have been able to purchase my AEG, or sell the couple items that I have if people ignored those who aren't involved in large amounts of transactions.

Which isn't to say don't read trader ratings. If a person has negative or even neutral transactions, take that into consideration! It means they've had less than stellar dealings in the past, don't expect yours to be different.
Old November 7th, 2005, 23:42   #20
lt_poncho

Send a message via MSN to lt_poncho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Fighter
I've suggested this idea many times, and so have others. I always thought it was a great idea but I was shot down everytime
I like this idea too - often i've played that middle man role after the fact since I can't stand to see peoples names dragged thru the shitter like that when I know otherwise...
lt_poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 13:08   #21
Whozat

Being as it is only the buyer that needs "protection" (the seller would have received payment before sending anything), any additional costs (ie. shipping) should be placed on buyers shoulders.
As far as selling to newbs, I can't see the risk. They send their money first, how can you get ripped off?
With regard to building trader rating, I've had more that the one transaction, but if the person your dealing with is too lazy to give you feedback, what are you supposed to do?
Old November 8th, 2005, 13:27   #22
Shugart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whozat
Being as it is only the buyer that needs "protection" (the seller would have received payment before sending anything), any additional costs (ie. shipping) should be placed on buyers shoulders.
As far as selling to newbs, I can't see the risk. They send their money first, how can you get ripped off?
With regard to building trader rating, I've had more that the one transaction, but if the person your dealing with is too lazy to give you feedback, what are you supposed to do?

But what if a newb is looking to sell something. Are you gonna send $X dollar to him before he ships out? Wouldn't you feel safer if the product was shipped to the middle man, you sent your money to him, and once he got everything he sends it their respective ways.

And then theirs the Green Igor case. He was selling, people sent their money, and nothing came. So their's risk for both sides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Arendt
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucydides
The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.
Shugart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 13:32   #23
Tankdude

I've been doing this for sometime now.

Teams mates have something to sell or trade they give it to me and I make it happen.
It works fine cause some people like me have the time to waste pm people and setting up deals.
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 13:41   #24
Avenging Angel

In the case of Green_Igor it was the buyer what was at risk.... they were selling but it was still the buyers who got screwed over. The only way that a seller can get screwed over is if they agree to a payment plan (and for some reason decided to ship the item before the payments are complete) or agree that the buyer is to pay shipping charges after the fact. However, I think that the middle man idea will be fantastic for newer users who are looking at building their reputations here on ASC. All we need to do is get a list of volunteers who are willing to do it and then identify and confirm who they are and where they currently reside. (Keeping in mind that they need to be trustworthy people as well.)
Avenging Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 13:45   #25
Whozat

Shugart, try reading what I actualy wrote.
I was only commenting on who the burden of additional cost should be placed. That and the fact that no seller at any time, under any circumstances, is at risk. They receive the money first. They have all the control. The only risk (if you can call it that) is that they may encounter a flake, and all that will result in is a little bit of wasted time.
Old November 8th, 2005, 14:12   #26
WhatTheWho

http://www.airsoftescrow.com/
Old November 8th, 2005, 14:49   #27
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

This is kind of the idea behind the Kit exchange Shop at TTAC3

You have something you don't need or want.. You put a price on it and leave it at the Exchange.

someone else comes by and likes what they see.. they pay the kitshop.. and the kitshop forwards the cash to the owner of the article.( less a small fee, )

Little risk.. on both sides.. Seller gets his money .. buyer gets his goods.
and the buyer has the benefit of seeing the article before buying..

Downside... No gun sales, good only for the GTA community.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 16:47   #28
made Man

Send a message via ICQ to made Man
Why not just use COD?
The only risk there is the post worker *loosing* your money. Ask Mike_TG... but he eventually got what was his (about 2 weeks later).
You dont choose who you love, love chooses you; and that little fucking son of a bitch sticks itself to your face like the godless bloodsucking bastards in Alien and refuses to let go until it has drained your soul and left you an empty shell of a human being.

I am worth $2,106,266.00 on HumanForSale.com

<axel026> i need help please
<^cell^> do you have an appointment?
<axel026> im french
<^cell^> i see... thats a terrible disorder
made Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2005, 17:22   #29
Greylocks

I played middle-man once. Got burned for something that was not my fault or my problem. Never again.
And we've seen recently a major series of problems with a person who figures prominently in their own "Problems with..." thread. I sure would not want to be middle-man in such a mess.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General