Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Cybergun FNX 45 Threaded Barrel/Hop Up Spring Replacement?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 3rd, 2016, 03:20   #1
Fenrir92

Cybergun FNX 45 Threaded Barrel/Hop Up Spring Replacement?

Hi ASC,

I have a love/hate relationship with my FNX 45 and I am unfamiliar with GBBPs in general so please forgive my noobiness. The gun seems to be light striking but oddly enough only when it is drawn from a holster. In other words, the gun doesn’t cycle properly when drawn from a vertical position but cycles fine when racked and held horizontally.

Luckily a stumbled upon a picture someone posted on the ASC Facebook group (thank you whoever you are!) and unlike other GBBPs that I have, there is a flimsy spring (part# 0207 aka SPG001) that attaches the threaded outer barrel to the hopup unit. I checked my FNX and indeed the spring snapped. I suspect that when the gun is in a vertical position (i.e. holstered), the barrel group droops without the spring tension and causes misalignment with the nozzle. The pictures below shows the spring that I am referring to:

Unfortunately, this replacement spring is sold out in all the places I looked online. Does anyone know where a replacement can be found and if not, what can be a suitable replacement? Thanks!

Last edited by Fenrir92; May 3rd, 2016 at 03:24..
Fenrir92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:39   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

compare it to a tappet plate or spring shuttle return spring and make the necessary mods if it's the same size? Worth a shot cause I've never seen a spring like that in airsoft use.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:49   #3
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
I think Toronto Airsoft started to stock some parts, but a spring may be slim.

Did you try to contact Cyber Gun directly?

There's a big thread on Arnies about the FNX, maybe browse through see if anything helpful.

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/in...fnx-45/page-31
BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 23:59   #4
Fenrir92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioRage View Post
I think Toronto Airsoft started to stock some parts, but a spring may be slim.

Did you try to contact Cyber Gun directly?

There's a big thread on Arnies about the FNX, maybe browse through see if anything helpful.

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/in...fnx-45/page-31
Thanks, unfortunately TA doesn't seem to stock that particular part and I did contact Cybergun but haven't gotten a response yet. I will check out the Arnies thread once I get access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
compare it to a tappet plate or spring shuttle return spring and make the necessary mods if it's the same size? Worth a shot cause I've never seen a spring like that in airsoft use.
I did consider modifying a tappet plate spring but I wanted opinions from more experienced techs like yourself before pursuing this option. This is probably the interim solution. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2016, 00:04   #5
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir92 View Post
Thanks, unfortunately TA doesn't seem to stock that particular part and I did contact Cybergun but haven't gotten a response yet. I will check out the Arnies thread once I get access.

I did consider modifying a tappet plate spring but I wanted opinions from more experienced techs like yourself before pursuing this option. This is probably the interim solution. Thanks!
Looks very similar to a tappet plate spring, i think that it would be effective provided they're the same length/tension.

This is just my own opinion but gbb springs are kind of the shits meaning they break easy. I think that some people forget to lubricate them and over time they rust and break because of oxidization + wear and tear over time. Some silicone oil imo usually prevents them from getting fucked in the long run because these things flex A LOT. Thoughts?
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 00:12   #6
Fenrir92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyEyes View Post
Some silicone oil imo usually prevents them from getting fucked in the long run because these things flex A LOT. Thoughts?
That's a really good idea and one that I didn't think about. From the videos I've watched, I only applied Super Lube to the slide/frame and any areas with metal to metal contact.

Would silicone oil be more appropriate in lubricating this spring?
Old May 4th, 2016, 02:01   #7
RainyEyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir92 View Post
That's a really good idea and one that I didn't think about. From the videos I've watched, I only applied Super Lube to the slide/frame and any areas with metal to metal contact.

Would silicone oil be more appropriate in lubricating this spring?
The information that I operate on is premised on the need to prevent plastic from tarnishing/weakening because of grease penetration and a need to sustain metal+plastic and metal + metal contact.

Silicone oil is allegedly non-reactive to most material but it's low viscocity has little to be desired... I personally tried silicone oil but it tends to dry off due to dust and debris. I then switched to white lithium grease (bad for plastic apparently and is meant for metal on metal contact). It tends to coat metal surfaces and stay on.

These springs are so small and sometimes intricate, it's very annoying to justify so much work for small parts that have sometimes a vital function. If the spring is in an area that has constant COLD GAS (e.g. propane and co2) running, it will likely reduce the temperature of the metal down towards freezing. Theoretically, the reduced temperatures would make the spring more brittle and the vibrations from the blowback of the slide would just place the perfect conditions to degrade its integrity...

Feel free to dispute, I'm mostly working on theoretics here.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2016, 00:00   #8
Fenrir92

Just a quick update on my situation. Still no luck finding a replacement spring however I took apart the hop-up unit to see what can be a comparable DIY replacement.

As you can tell from the two photos, the spring is TINY (about 0.8cm long)! No wonder it snapped.....

I modified the broken end of the spring into to a hook shape and it seems to resolve my issue. This will have to do until a find a replacement. I hope this helps some folks in the same situation.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner