Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Warning: People Claiming "Tackleberry" Motors For PTW

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old May 15th, 2014, 00:43   #16
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
DTT mod = having your motor cage lathed out to increase its life expectancy. This is a very temporary fix to the original issue.
I taught them how to do it some years ago. It is to solder the pole/comm joints with silver solder and to clean and true the comm on a lathe. Also, replace the brushes with the Systema AG30 brushes.

Quote:
Tack mod = armature rewinding to solve the factory big picture problem. Properly done, it's quite amazing.
The rewind is done in addition to the work listed above, as well as the windings lashed and epoxied to prevent resonance.

Quote:
You can say; "I have had my motor rewound", or "I have gotten the motor mod", but saying Tack mod is what it is, and isn't what it isn't. Him being involved or not.
That was my point

Quote:
I modified my hop-up by smashing the shit out of it on the side of my house, severely decreasing its performance. I think I'll sell it, and call it the "MacGuyver mod", to sell it easier.
If I worked on anyone's gun, I have no problem with them saying so. I even invite anyone who wants to know more about what I have done to contact me. I don't expect every owner to know every detail. Just be honest about what you have done. If you didn't send your motor to England or buy one from Centurion, it is fraudulent to claim your motor has been "Tacked". Whether you are unintentionally ignorant or wilfully fraudelent is irrelevant to the person buying your gun. The end result is he didn't get what he thought he was getting.

I have seen people installing FCC armatures in Systema motors and "modified" Systema armatures in FCC motors and calling them "Tacked" or simply passing it off as a normal motor. It brings an undeserved reputation to great platform and disrepute to PTW tech. There is one or two guys I know who do this and deserve a shot to the melon.

Don't get me started on the Dremelling of the rack gear guides to remove a piston rack. The height of laziness and stupidity. To the guy who does this and will read this, yes, I mean you, jackass.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 09:33   #17
DipTwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
I modified my hop-up by smashing the shit out of it on the side of my house, severely decreasing its performance. I think I'll sell it, and call it the "MacGuyver mod", to sell it easier.
That's pretty much how I 'mod' all my AEGs lol.

I appreciate the heads-up, but I wonder if it's moot - a guy who's willing to outright lie in his ad would just as likely hide other problems with the gun in question too, and we can't likely tell (e.g. by sending a pic for verification) until after we've bought it.

It's pretty much always been "buyer beware" and thus the seller ratings / referral concepts on the boards. I'm lucky to have so many guys in Calgary that are well known so I can feel confident buying from one of them if it's an expensive purchase - thank heavens for that.
DipTwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 13:15   #18
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

The problem is often the tinkerers that come over from the AEG side of things.
There are a lot more innovations happening in AEG's than PTW's, and I'd go as far to say the technology available for AEG's is better in some areas, but the construction is where they always fall short.
So then said tinkerer tends to try and apply these mods to a PTW which doesn't need them, or the PTW breaks and he applies a patchwork fix that would be fine on an AEG.
Then he sells it, and you get this mangled patchwork gun that "works fine"

Anyone can work on an AEG, but it takes an intelligent person to understand the little tweaks and mods to make them a little bit better.
But working on a PTW requires knowledge of precision work. The basic functioning principles are the same, but the tolerances are closer, the parts are different, and it's generally just much less forgiving if you overlook tiny mistakes.

Like, if you're building a hand wagon to haul trash around at your cabin, you'll get anyone that took a highschool welding course to slap it together.
If you're building a pipeline to move millions of gallons of oil to another country, you're going to want someone that knows what the hell they're doing.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 17:51   #19
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBR View Post
If I was Tackleberry I would start to serialize every motor thats been modified and put it in a database,
It doesn't hurt to include your Tackleberry's invoice with your sales. I had three motors tacked. I sold the first gun a long time ago. The remaining two motor each have an invoice it.
You can also ask Tacked if an individual has sent a motor for mod.
Old May 16th, 2014, 07:23   #20
KEVORKIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
It doesn't hurt to include your Tackleberry's invoice with your sales.
There was no way I was throwing away my invoice from Tack...it's a painful reminder of just how expensive it was to ship all of my motors to the UK for servicing! OUCH!!

I SUPPORT THE USE OF SILICA BB BASTARDS!
KEVORKIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:48   #21
SuperHog

Why waste $450 or even $250 on a rewind.

Brushless is finally coming to airsoft.

http://popularairsoft.com/brushless-...e-airsoft-aegs
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 08:58   #22
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHog View Post
Why waste $450 or even $250 on a rewind.

Brushless is finally coming to airsoft.

http://popularairsoft.com/brushless-...e-airsoft-aegs
You won't see brushless for PTW for awhile. And when you do, you will see more complex control systems, reduced torque, increased size and cost.

Until then, you need to maintain operational brushed motors.

It's not like brushless is new technology, it is 100 years old, and is a variation of the squirrel cage motor.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2014, 13:34   #23
ThunderCactus

Go ahead and try fitting a brushless motor into a real steel grip lol
You would need a very custom motor that would (guess what!) be much more expensive to produce than a conventional brushed motor lol
And on top of that, you'd also need a motor controller, so at the very least a new rear board as well that has to interface with the existing ECU, which means custom board, more $$$
Old May 17th, 2014, 13:58   #24
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Go ahead and try fitting a brushless motor into a real steel grip lol
You would need a very custom motor that would (guess what!) be much more expensive to produce than a conventional brushed motor lol
And on top of that, you'd also need a motor controller, so at the very least a new rear board as well that has to interface with the existing ECU, which means custom board, more $$$
The PTW is a custom brushed motor. The mounting bracket and extra long armature is custom.
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 15:07   #25
ThunderCactus

exactly. and the only thing more expensive than a custom brushed motor, is a custom brushless motor lol
Old May 17th, 2014, 16:04   #26
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

And realistically, the brush system isn't the issue. If the armature lasted forever, for arguments sake, then replacing the whole brush and hood kit every few years wouldn't be difficult, not a large cost.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications