Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Some GBBR Questions

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old November 27th, 2013, 20:59   #1
Mandalore

Some GBBR Questions

Hey guys,

So I just bought a WE M4 Raptor, and it is gorgeous. But I've got a few questions I wanted to ask other GBBR users.

I plan on buying the CWI Steel fire control kit once something breaks internally, but are there any other upgrades I should consider? I bought the RA Super Recoil buffer, and plan on buying a Maple Leaf Rubber for it.

It sounds like their nozzles break fairly easy, would it be worth buying the RA Tech aluminum nozzle or complete steel bolt kit?

Also curious what kind of optics/BUIS you guys use, the Raptor doesn't come with any and I would hate to have to keep zeroing it in.

Thanks!
KWA HK45
VFC SCAR-L
G&P VLTOR M4
KJW Hi Capa
Mandalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 21:13   #2
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Optics: I actually run an A2 sight, it keeps the gun light and keeps my skills honed.

Bolt: Unless RaTech releases a reinforced hopup chamber, avoid the aluminum bolt. More trouble than it's worth.
MaybeStopCalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 22:03   #3
hot_shot under fire
AKA M700murder

In regards to optics, T1 Aimpoint all the way. Holds zero very well, doesn't short out from the recoil (Holo sights tend to do this very often) If you can invest in a real-steel optic then more power to you. Worth the investment in my opinion as you won't have to worry about it not functioning properly due to recoil or the elements. Just make sure you have a killflash to protect the lens!

As for the nozzle, I've found that one of two things will break. The front of the nozzle will snap somewhere, or the little spring that makes it return to its start position will break. I know Airsoft Parts offers the stock nozzle for about $25.00 each. I would advise picking a few up.

As advised above, stay away from the Aluminum CNCed nozzle by RA-Tech. Those tend to cause issues both with breaking other parts and very inconsistent FPS. However the Bolt Carrier by RA-Tech is a great replacement part if the stock bolt breaks.

Be sure to install an N-Pas, I know that most stock WE M4-platforms shoot a bit over 400fps stock. It's a great investment to make so you can play both outdoors and CQB, and it only costs about $20.00 plus it's easy to install and adjust.

Other then that, make sure to keep your gun CLEAN! Be sure to do a basic field strip and clean/lube the bolt/other moving parts every 300-ish rounds and/or before you put it away after game day. If the field is really dusty then clean it quickly between missions. I strongly recommend Frog Lube. It's about $15.00 for a little bottle of it and it will last a LONG time.

Aside from that, have fun! The world of GBBR's is a great one to be apart of!
hot_shot under fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 19:38   #4
Mandalore

I've been looking at RS optics, but most of them are beyond the price of the rifle lol.

Ok, looks like I will pick up a couple of stock nozzles then and buy an NPAS. Plan on picking up Froglube, I've heard good things about it. Makes me wish I would've bought a GBBR sooner!
KWA HK45
VFC SCAR-L
G&P VLTOR M4
KJW Hi Capa
Old November 28th, 2013, 19:44   #5
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore View Post
I've been looking at RS optics, but most of them are beyond the price of the rifle lol.

Ok, looks like I will pick up a couple of stock nozzles then and buy an NPAS. Plan on picking up Froglube, I've heard good things about it. Makes me wish I would've bought a GBBR sooner!
Aimpoint Pro is 400, the T1 replicas tend to be high quality.
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:21   #6
BioRage

Send a message via Skype™ to BioRage
I had a G&P 30mm AP Red Dot Sight and was not a fan of it at all.

I then tried my friends Aimpoint T1 on my ex-MP7 and it was amazing for cqb. Will try to borrow it again for next outdoor season, typically I use iron sights.

Truthfully I find that optics are based on personal preference.

Frog lube does wonders, add a few coatings and your gun is smooth as butter, also a minty smell. Make sure you apply heat before or after to the frog lube, so it can be worked in. meaning the metal parts, some people apply it to the plastic, but I stick with 30wt silicone oil for that.

Also, check my sig.

Also, welcome to the wonder world of GBB's :P

G&P does look good, but not for me.

BioRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:52   #7
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalore View Post

Froglube need heat to be applied and work(RS Bolt), GBBR in general are usually cold (propane/C02) all you would have is gunk build up.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:30   #8
Aper
E-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
Froglube need heat to be applied and work(RS Bolt), GBBR in general are usually cold (propane/C02) all you would have is gunk build up.
I agree. I've always used some synthetic grease for all my Gas-operated guns, and never had any issues / misfires / ect.

Just make sure you don'T apply too much grease, and clean it dry and re-apply after each game. Key of success of a GBBR relies on how much effort you put into maintenance and keeping it clean.

West Coast EOD Supporter. // Bang One, Bang Em All ! // In war, it's not who's right, but who's left.
Aper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 21:36   #9
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Still less maintenance than a real AR-15.
Old November 30th, 2013, 03:32   #10
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeStopCalling View Post
Still less maintenance than a real AR-15.
??? My RS VLTOR require less maintenance than my GBB/GBBR
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 03:39   #11
GBBR
Banned

Send a message via MSN to GBBR Send a message via Skype™ to GBBR
daytona gun. cough cough. gamed 15 gaves, 1/3 of them being milsims. the othe being sand enviroment. only thing ive done was give it a puff of silicone
GBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 09:42   #12
Kos-Mos

Or you can do a full maintenance once, grease everything and see how it goes.

Took 2 years for something to "break", and it was just the hammer sear worn down. I did shot a LOT of BBs in there.

I am an advocate of the "don't touch it if it works" philosophy.
And I replace the stock broken/worn parts, with MORE stock parts. They are so cheap it's not worth upgrading, since something else will break next.

You need CHEAP fusible parts in any mechanical system.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 14:48   #13
Mandalore

Yes, I've heard some complaints about G&P optics. I'm going to try the T1 replica from Stealth on it and see how it fares. Going to try out the MBUS Pro's on his site as well, I like that they are metal.

So some like Froglube, others not so much. I was about to buy it then I was reading a thread about Superlube and I'm considering giving that one a whirl.

Kos-Mos: I see what you are saying. I guess I will decide on stock or an upgrade when parts begin breaking. I was thinking about modding a RS Charging handle and picking up a RS Mag release as well though. Depending on the brand, they're relatively inexpensive.
KWA HK45
VFC SCAR-L
G&P VLTOR M4
KJW Hi Capa
Old November 30th, 2013, 18:04   #14
MaybeStopCalling
Green Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
??? My RS VLTOR require less maintenance than my GBB/GBBR
In my defence, I really hate carbon.