Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Lancer Tactical Battery Upgrade/Downgrade

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old July 2nd, 2013, 23:08   #1
Spadona

Lancer Tactical Battery Upgrade/Downgrade

I recently purchased a Lancer Tactical CQBR MK18 and am looking for an extra battery for when I go play longer games, just in case. The gun comes with a 8.4v battery.

When shopping around, I discovered that the retailers around my area are usually sold out of the 8.4v batteries, so I'm wondering if there are any risks to using a 9.6v battery with a $115 AEG (or even downgrading to a 7.4v).

Now normally (with some reasearch), I know that using a 9.6v battery with most stock AEGs are fine, but I'm just not sure if the $115 Lancer Tactical can handle a higher voltage.

Please advise!
Spadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 23:28   #2
sammynac99

You will get a higher rof and crisper response on semi, keep away from lipos unless you do some upgrades. 7.4 should run ok, just don't go trying 11.1 stuff
sammynac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 00:46   #3
Spadona

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammynac99 View Post
You will get a higher rof and crisper response on semi, keep away from lipos unless you do some upgrades. 7.4 should run ok, just don't go trying 11.1 stuff
Yeah I hear ya. Definitely staying away from Lipos.

How about 9.6v? Do you think the internals can handle a higher voltage?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:00   #4
sammynac99

as most senior guys will tell you, the only thing drawing electricity is your motor. if your motor will only draw a certain amount it wont matter if you put in a higher voltage battery. i have seen lancer tacticals run on 9.6 V's, i lent one to my friend, it really just puts your ROF up 3 or 4 RPS and increases trigger response. expect things to break at any time, this is airsoft, the initiation into the sport is stuff breaking..... a lancer tactical is more durable then one may think.....

Airsoft Stress Test - The Death Of A Lancer Tactical AEG! - YouTube

that video alone convinced my buddy to get one.
You find yourself in the ocean,20 foot waves,Going up against a 800-pound tuna with his 20 or 30 friends?You lose that battle.You lose that battle 9 times out of 10.Well guess what? You’ve wandered into a school of tuna and we now have a taste of lion! We’ve communicated.Lion is good!
sammynac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:59   #5
ccyg8774

7.4V lipo are not that bad. If your gun can use 8.4V Ni-MH it should be fine with 7.4V lipo. But you will need charger that can charge a lipo. DO NOT use the most simple wall charger to charge a lipo.

If you don't want to move to lipo at this moment, a 9.6V Ni-MH is not that much of difference to a 8.4V Ni-MH. It will increase the wear a little bit, but that is a part of airsoft.

Since the Lancer Tactical CQBR MK18 uses a crane battery, you may need to check the size of the new battery to make sure it will fit in.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 22:33   #6
Spadona

Hm. I might look into getting a 7.4v NiMh, actually. The faster ROF sounds great and all, but I usually play indoors (Ultimate Airsoft), and they only allow semi.

Also, speaking of crane batteries, is there any way to wire it to the handguard? I'm curious if I can run a PEQ box with it.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 22:55   #7
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

7.4 is lipo, 7.2 is nimh
if you run a 7.2nimh you will have a ridiculously slow rof, almost 2 second trigger response on semi, and really really low battery life on a mini battery, assuming it even has enough power to turn the gun over.
lipos are a totally different bird, and you can easily run your gun off a 7.4v lipo. It'll give you an rof just shy of a 9.6v battery, depending on what gears and motor you have. Anyway it's safe to run pretty well all stock guns off a 7.4v lipo.

9.6v mini batteries are fine, they're usually the standard recommended battery for any gun, they tend to have the same rof as an 8.4v large battery, or somewhere similar.

And yes you can absolutely wire the gun to the front for a peq box.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 23:53   #8
ccyg8774

One question alwasy bothers me since I started airsoft... Why people with crane battery want to change to PEQ, and people with PEQ want to change to battery in stock...
I guess it is the same reason as why ladies with stright hair use curling irons, and ladies with curling hair use hair straighteners...
Old July 4th, 2013, 00:12   #9
Spadona

The trigger response is really making me lean towards a 9.6v NiMh. As for sizing, my rifle holds a nunchuck style battery pretty easily. Don't know about other sizes, however.
I'll also look into Lipos. They seem to be the talk of the town these days.
Old July 4th, 2013, 00:28   #10
Spadona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyg8774 View Post
One question alwasy bothers me since I started airsoft... Why people with crane battery want to change to PEQ, and people with PEQ want to change to battery in stock...
I guess it is the same reason as why ladies with stright hair use curling irons, and ladies with curling hair use hair straighteners...
Probably because people with crane batteries want a PEQ box, and upgrade their stock. Meanwhile, PEQ users are probably just running out of rail space.
Old July 4th, 2013, 00:34   #11
ccyg8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadona View Post
The trigger response is really making me lean towards a 9.6v NiMh. As for sizing, my rifle holds a nunchuck style battery pretty easily. Don't know about other sizes, however.
I'll also look into Lipos. They seem to be the talk of the town these days.
Based on my experiences, if the crane stock hold a NiMH nunchuck, it should be able to hold two buffer tube type, stick lipo, one on each side, probably even a third one in the buffer tube.
Again remember to use a lipo-safe charger, NEVER use the wall charger on lipo. I suggest a iMax B6 charger. Both the lipo and the charger can be found on RC hobby webstore, like the hobbyking. The price is much better than most airsoft store.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications