Very Poor Trigger Response

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old June 30th, 2013, 17:12   #1
Rotting
Roko

Very Poor Trigger Response

Hey all,

I've recently been noticing that my trigger response is getting worse and worse. Been doing this for about the past 3 months. It's to the point where on semi-automatic I have to depress the trigger for a couple seconds just for it to cycle once. Something tells me that isn't normal.

Someone told me to try going to a high-torque motor as I may be having trouble pulling the spring, which I don't quite think is the issue since I believe I'm using an S110. Replaced it anyway because the motor I was using is about 5 years old now. No improvement was seen.

I figured it is probably the electrical contacts. Last time I took a good look in there, they were pretty dirty. I cleaned them up, but I'm guessing that the contacts are just past their time. I have no problem replacing that, so that isn't a concern. Even if that isn't the cause of the problem, I'm still replacing that since I've been using that contact set through rain, humidity, and pretty much any other weather condition you can name for the past 1-2 years now.

If it's not the contacts just showing their wear, what else could it be? Worth mentioning that I'm using a rear wired M4 variant. My only other thought would be that it could potentially be the wire is getting pinched somewhere and I need to open up the routing for the cable a bit more. I'm also using a LiFe battery.

Primary: Custom WE M16A3
Secondary: KWA MP9
Side: Custom WE M1911A1

Last edited by Rotting; June 30th, 2013 at 17:14.. Reason: Added more information.
Rotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 17:23   #2
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

It definitely sounds like your contacts are getting dirty, worn down, old.
It could also be your motor getting dirty / worn, but since you replaced that already, definitely the contacts.

I would replace the contacts, and while your in there maybe get one of the bajillion mosfets out there to save your contacts in the future.

Last edited by Cobrajr122; June 30th, 2013 at 17:26..
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 18:57   #3
ccyg8774

The trigger contact is dirty/worn/damaged by the spark when the connection is on.
Depends on the extent of the damage you may need to sand paper the contact or replacing it.
A MOSFET can prevent this in the future AND increase your rate of fire, but that will also makes the wiring more complicated, and you will need space for the MOSFET. If you have a rear wired M4 and the battery is in the stock, the buffer tube is a nice place for the MOSFET, but if you uses a buffer tube lipo that already occupy the buffer tube, good luck... You may still fit both in the buffer tube, but the space will be very limited.
Old June 30th, 2013, 20:18   #4
HKGhost

Very common issue with a simple solution. Replace the contacts or the entire switch assembly, then install a basic mosfet like the Gate PicoSSR. Replace the wires with low resistance wires and Deans connectors. That's it. This will prevent the contacts from arching and putting holes in the switch assembly. No more carbon build up and you'll get a slightly higher ROF.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 21:55   #5
Rotting
Roko

I'm actually really not familiar with MOSFETs in the slightest. I typically tend to avoid them just based on an Occam's Razor principle. Also the LiFe battery I'm using takes up pretty much the entire buffer tube and then some (can't even slide the stock in entirely. Can only get to the fourth position, third if I slam it on).

Thank you for the help though. I have an entire switch assembly on order, I'll be placing that tonight I guess to get that done quick.

Primary: Custom WE M16A3
Secondary: KWA MP9
Side: Custom WE M1911A1
Rotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 22:39   #6
ccyg8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotting View Post
Thank you for the help though. I have an entire switch assembly on order, I'll be placing that tonight I guess to get that done quick.
You may not have to replace it this time, just sanding on the metal contact pieces should work for once or two, before you have to replace the switch assembly.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications