Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

superlube?

:

General

Old April 4th, 2013, 10:38   #46
JDoorn

Thank you for the advice. If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm fairly new to all of this. lol. I have some internal parts on order and will be opening up my gearbox for the first time soon. any other tips you wouldn't mind sharing are appreciated.
JDoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 10:54   #47
Nickaayyy

Interresting... We just had the WE Scar-L yesterday and was gonna use silicone oil in it. Think i'm gonna try the frog lube instead, thanks for the info.

Last edited by Nickaayyy; April 4th, 2013 at 10:56..
Nickaayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:52   #48
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Silicone oil does absolute squat for lubrication - especially when it comes to metal-on-metal applications.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 17:14   #49
Dimitri
Can't do math

I've been using a single 400g tube of Shell Darina XL for years, on my SAI M1A and FN49 after asking Shell directly what grease to use in a semi-automatic firearm. Holds up well so far. For like $4 a tube, it's pretty cheap.

I'm using that on my KJW 1911. Seems to be working so far.

I think it's Shell Gadus S2 V220, but I'd have to call Shell to know for sure, they keep changing their product names.

Dimitri

Last edited by Dimitri; April 4th, 2013 at 17:19..
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 12:35   #50
JDoorn

ILLusion, would you recommend applying superlube inside the cylinder and around the piston head?
Old April 5th, 2013, 13:28   #51
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
ILLusion, would you recommend applying superlube inside the cylinder and around the piston head?
I generally don't, since I've seen SuperLube oil react with some hop up rubbers. I haven't seen any actual evidence of the grease reacting with rubbers (piston head o-ring, and hop up), but I've been playing it safe and using Systema cylinder grease for all such applications. I'm sure some could make it's way in over time, from slinging off the piston rails and teeth.

I haven't seen any evidence of chemical destabilization between rubbers and the grease, so I could just be over-cautious.
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:20   #52
JDoorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLusion View Post
I generally don't, since I've seen SuperLube oil react with some hop up rubbers. I haven't seen any actual evidence of the grease reacting with rubbers (piston head o-ring, and hop up), but I've been playing it safe and using Systema cylinder grease for all such applications. I'm sure some could make it's way in over time, from slinging off the piston rails and teeth.

I haven't seen any evidence of chemical destabilization between rubbers and the grease, so I could just be over-cautious.
and what might be some other more commonly available alternatives to the systema cylinder grease? maybe something I could pick up at the local canadian tire?
Old April 7th, 2013, 22:30   #53
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
and what might be some other more commonly available alternatives to the systema cylinder grease? maybe something I could pick up at the local canadian tire?
I couldn't answer this, because I've only used Systema Cylinder Grease, and Tamiya Ceramic grease for these applications... neither of which are available at Canadian Tire.

Like I said, I'm probably being overcautious with the SuperLube grease in this application, and it's most likely safe. If you want to test it out, just smother an o-ring and/or hop up rubber (that you're willing to throw out) in the grease for a week, and see if it affects it in any way. Make sure you have a matching sample to compare against.

Truth is, if the hop up rubber or o-ring gets damaged by SuperLube, it will just as likely get damaged by silicone oil/grease (silicone rubbers swell when attacked by silicone based lubricants.... go figure.)
Old April 7th, 2013, 22:47   #54
joots

Does anyone know where you can actually find this in the Toronto area? Like a store and section within that store? I've looked through a few places and haven't been able to find it.
joots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2013, 22:47   #55
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joots View Post
Does anyone know where you can actually find this in the Toronto area? Like a store and section within that store? I've looked through a few places and haven't been able to find it.
I stock it... and I'm in Toronto. I order my stock in from the States.

I wish there were a Toronto location to get this. In the past, I'd ordered them in through either Brafasco or Fastenal, but it cost almost $20 for a single tube after their shipping costs and taxes. It also used to be found on the shelves of one of the big box hardware stores (Rona, Lowes, Home Depot, etc... I can't remember which one it was), and also at Active Electronics on Vic Park and Gordon Baker road... sadly, none of these places carry it anymore.

Even Home Hardware used to carry it (although, it was a special order item that your location had to order in from head office), but they'd removed the item from inventory as recently as a month ago. I'm not sure why this product is getting dropped.

Last edited by ILLusion; April 7th, 2013 at 22:52..
Old April 8th, 2013, 00:06   #56
darkshift

All of my local (Waterloo, Ontario) Home Hardwares stock various SuperLube products including the 3oz tube. I might double check with their wesbite for local stores/call
darkshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 01:14   #57
Dynamo
Harvester of Noobs' Sorrow

Send a message via MSN to Dynamo
i have been using Ultra Slick Synthetic grease (exact same as Super Lube) for everything in my AEGs. gear, piston and cylinder, in all these years (9 years) i have never had an issue with super lube swelling o-rings or hopup rubbers. i love the stuff. i had a small 12g tube of it that lasted me until last year. i was kind of freaking out until i found more at Canadian tire under a new name but same brand. i got two 85g tubes, i think i'm set for life now..lol i use the larger tubes to refill the small 12g one, so i can keep it in my field tool kit.

lol 12g tube lasted me 8 years, i got two 85g tubes now.. so technically.. i got enough super lube to last another 112 years.. HAHAHAHAHA

Don't look at me, I don't know, lol ¯\(°_o)/¯.

Last edited by Dynamo; April 8th, 2013 at 01:16..
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:22   #58
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Awesome, that's good info, Dynamo. I haven't done any long term testing with use on o-rings, so I'll rest a bit easier doing so now.
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:36   #59
Nickaayyy

May be a dumb question. But if I use GG in my GBBR after using some superlube in it, will the Superlube react to the GG, will it nullifie the grease or will just lubricate more my gun?

I'm quite curious because I know a loot of people just run propane and I was wondering it theres any chance that they just dont react well together.
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:41   #60
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickaayyy View Post
May be a dumb question. But if I use GG in my GBBR after using some superlube in it, will the Superlube react to the GG, will it nullifie the grease or will just lubricate more my gun?

I'm quite curious because I know a loot of people just run propane and I was wondering it theres any chance that they just dont react well together.
12 years of using SuperLube in all my Green Gas / Propane guns, and I haven't experienced any form of a negative reaction.

Besides, any areas where gas would be flowing through, I would never used SuperLube (or any grease for that matter). Instead, silicone oil in the gas itself is all that's needed to keep your seals moist. Grease is ideally used in any metal-on-metal applications. If you put any grease in to the compression chain, you'll end up just blowing it out the muzzle of the gun anyways, and most likely end up fouling your hop up rubber and inner barrel.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General