Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Longer Inner Barrel For M4

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:15   #1
XxBatteryxX

Longer Inner Barrel For M4

M4 variant actually, the PDW to be exact. Made by Dboys. I love this gun but I want/thinking of adding a new, better and longer inner barrel but I want to know if its worth spending the money to get a new inner barrel and will a mock suppressor cover it?

If the answer is yes and I should spend the 50 or so bucks on the barrel and surppressor, then I ask nicely for some assistance. I know how to take the gun apart (at least youtube has informed me, I have yet to do it) but does the inner barrel just unscrew and the new one screw in? And does anyone know how long of a barrel I should get? The PDW came with a longer outerbarrel that's a couple inches longer than the stock one so I plan to add that on before I put the surppressor on to cover the barrel.

Thoughts?
XxBatteryxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:23   #2
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBatteryxX View Post
M4 variant actually, the PDW to be exact. Made by Dboys. I love this gun but I want/thinking of adding a new, better and longer inner barrel but I want to know if its worth spending the money to get a new inner barrel and will a mock suppressor cover it?

If the answer is yes and I should spend the 50 or so bucks on the barrel and surppressor, then I ask nicely for some assistance. I know how to take the gun apart (at least youtube has informed me, I have yet to do it) but does the inner barrel just unscrew and the new one screw in? And does anyone know how long of a barrel I should get? The PDW came with a longer outerbarrel that's a couple inches longer than the stock one so I plan to add that on before I put the surppressor on to cover the barrel.

Thoughts?
Inner barrel is generally attached to the hop up unit via a d-clip. Remove inner barrel/hop-up unit from gun, remove d-clip, and switch out.

Most suppressors will accommodate an inner barrel extension inside of it. New inner barrel length required comes down to length of stock inner barrel (measure this), plus length of suppressor (measure this also).. look for an inner barrel that is just slightly shorter by a few mm's than your outer barrel/suppressor combo.

Last edited by HackD; December 2nd, 2012 at 09:25..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:25   #3
Antikythera

Dboys PDW + KAC Style QD suppressor fits a 363mm barrel perfectly with the stubby PDW outer barrel.
Antikythera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:40   #4
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

If you change the length of your inner barrel significantly (100mm) you may want to consider changing your cylinder. The volume in your cylinder should roughly match the volume in your inner barrel. Cylinders made for short barrels are ported to reduce the volume of air they send down the barrel. A longer barrel requires more air to push the bb out, their cylinders will be ported further back or not at all to increase volume. If your cylinder has insufficient volume you could lose velocity and accuracy negating any benefit of a longer barrel.

Last edited by Kozzie; December 2nd, 2012 at 10:59..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:50   #5
MaciekA

You can get yourself accuracy, distance, velocity all with a PDW-length barrel. You don't really need to increase the barrel length on a PDW at all.

If you have your heart set on a suppressor, especially one with foam inside, I recommend keeping your current barrel length. That way, the sound out of your inner barrel will actually have the opportunity to travel through the series of baffles (foam rings/whatever) in the suppressor and actually get suppressed.

A longer barrel will NOT lead to increase accuracy, except by accident of buying a higher-quality barrel. A longer barrel will not guarantee an increase in distance either. You can easily hit well over 400fps with the stock barrel length on a PDW.

If you want more accuracy in the same barrel length, get yourself a higher quality barrel and install a flat hop system like R-Hop, Modify's new flat hop bucking, PDW W-Hold, or some other nicer hopup bucking/nub combo.

For barrel, look at Modify Hybrid, Madbull Python 2, or a Prometheus PDW-length barrel.

I am extremely familiar with this length of barrel, and I have several guns that have the PDW/mp5/etc length of barrel. They're veritable lasers. Ask the people I play with every week.

To summarize:

- Use a high quality barrel at your existing length
- Let your BBs travel through the suppressor, more chance of actual suppression
- Use heavier ammo
- Get a better bucking and nub

By the way... you may want to look into improving the compression of your PDW (that transparent stock nozzle on the DBoys PDW is terrible!) before you get started with working on your barrel project. If you wanna ask questions about that, go ahead and shoot.

Now you know

MaciekA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 13:06   #6
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

Both my similarly built g36 and p90 have the same spring but different gearing for rounds per second and trigger response yield these results with IR-hop and m-nub

G36
prometheus eg 407mm 6.03

p90
madbul 247mm 6.03

both shoot around 390-395 fps with .2s

Both are capable of hitting a dinner plate considtenly at about 60m that's 150~ft with reasonable force.

I have more variance in where the BB lands because my hands shake... with a solid supported gun, both shoot as consistently as each other. If anything, I would say the p90 shoots even better, but that could be down to the r-hop install.

The test was conducted with .28 bastards.

I have some higher or equal quality ammo in .3 and .32 I will be testing in the spring.

take that as you will.

Last edited by lurkingknight; December 2nd, 2012 at 13:08..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 13:06   #7
Rusty Lugnuts
Fainting Goat, Dictator of Quinte West

IF YOU want a longer barrel, get a longer barrel... A lot of players obsess over hop up/barrel/weight of BB/ combos to get some extra range and then shoot people at less than 3/4 of the original range. Hey man it's the player not the weapon. Unless your a sniper- don't stress about it. Get a gun that turns you on. If a silencer gives you more confidence...you will probably play better. And in my experience if all other factors are the same a longer barrel will be more accurate. ( think pistol versus rifle)
Rusty Lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications