Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

List of TM FAMAS V1 Gearbox Compatible Parts?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old September 1st, 2012, 19:33   #1
Rotting
Roko

List of TM FAMAS V1 Gearbox Compatible Parts?

Hello,

Recently I've taken on a new project of rebuilding a TM FAMAS I got for pretty cheap. I'd like to get it up to modern indoor FPS strength (So about 330-350) along with making additional upgrades to ensure that this rifle will last for even longer.

However, I am not versed in the slightest about the V1 mechbox. I am aware that a lot of current aftermarket parts cannot be used, but also am aware that certain select parts can be used, so I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has knowledge as to what parts are compatible and at least semi-compatible with a bit of modification. I've tried searching around here for basically a breakdown regarding this topic, but haven't found anything.

Also, if anyone happens to know anywhere that sells aftermarket body parts, such as the FRIS rail system, that would be great to know.

Thanks.

Primary: Custom WE M16A3
Secondary: KWA MP9
Side: Custom WE M1911A1
Rotting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 20:28   #2
Kos-Mos

Most people that want to game the FAMAS buy a Cyberguns version and install the insides in the TM one...

V1 has very little upgrade parts and the motor is not strong enough/large enough to driver higher springs.

The Cybergun is a V1/V2 hybrid mechbox, and used a normal motor, so you can fit anything you want.

If you want to keep the V1, you will have to swap the ARL spring and find a motor that fits properly with an airsoft pinion... basically it involves a lot of work for a so-so rifle.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 22:04   #3
Rotting
Roko

From what I understand, this spring should suffice for what I am trying to do.

http://www.ventureairsoft.ca/item.ph...979ef2cd95ce1e

However other parts I'm looking for I have no clue if they will work or not. Such as standard XYT gearsets, bushing replacement, spring guide, air nozzle, etc. Essentially I'm looking to build a beefed TM FAMAS using substitutes. I've heard that some V2 pieces are compatible, but still, don't know which. I've heard of people upgrading a TM FAMAS, just have no clue where to start.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 00:16   #4
Kos-Mos

Gears are standard V2/3.
Motor is V1 and unique.
Bushings are standard 6mms.
Piston is standard.
Cylinder is standard.
ARL requires that spring you linked.

So yes, you can beef it up, but you will be stuck with a crappy motor that can't pull anything above 300 fps...
Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:00   #5
Rotting
Roko

I thought the motor could handle a slight increase on a spring, just nothing with high tension, which immediately sent me to think the Modify S90 spring? Also thought the cylinder was slightly shorter than standard type 0, 1 and 2 cylinders.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:08   #6
Slide

Hey there,
got a famas a few times ago and had upgraded the entire gearbox, this is what you have to know:

- Spring Guide= compatible V3
- Spring = whatever you want
- Cylinder = compatible V7
- Cylinder head = compatible V7 (don't be cheap on this one, i had some issues with the Guarder one)
- Piston = compatible piston standard GB V1, V2, V3
- Piston head = compatible piston head standard GB V1, V2, V3
- Tappet plate = ****** to find ****** specific part
- Nozzle = Prometheus does a very good Nozzle for the TM famas (you can find it on ehobby)
- Bushings = standards 6 mm
- Gears = compatibles V7
- Motor = compatible EG1000 Marui

Enjoy!
Old September 2nd, 2012, 17:08   #7
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
Hey there,
got a famas a few times ago and had upgraded the entire gearbox, this is what you have to know:

- Spring Guide= compatible V3
- Spring = whatever you want
- Cylinder = compatible V7
- Cylinder head = compatible V7 (don't be cheap on this one, i had some issues with the Guarder one)
- Piston = compatible piston standard GB V1, V2, V3
- Piston head = compatible piston head standard GB V1, V2, V3
- Tappet plate = ****** to find ****** specific part
- Nozzle = Prometheus does a very good Nozzle for the TM famas (you can find it on ehobby)
- Bushings = standards 6 mm
- Gears = compatibles V7
- Motor = compatible EG1000 Marui

Enjoy!
I guess you did not have a stock V1 mechbox... this sounds like the "custom" Cybergun one.

The V1 uses a non-standard motor, called RS800 or something. It's round, not flat like a EG1000
Old September 6th, 2012, 23:52   #8
Rotting
Roko

Yea, the motor I'm using is a EG560. Was positive that the EG1000 is much longer than a EG560.

Kos-Mos, I'm gathering that you worked on a true V1? Since there's a couple things that are conflicting between both the lists provided, such as the gearsets and cylinder head.

Old September 20th, 2012, 19:38   #9
JLiang

Send a message via Skype™ to JLiang
18-day Necro, but I had some info, being a FAMAS owner myself.

Considering you have an EG-550, I'm assuming you have a TM FAMAS. As such, when it comes to internals, you're pretty much out of luck. The original TM's V1O (Version 1, Old) Gearbox used massively huge amounts of proprietary parts. Everything from the spring guide to the gearset is all V1O Property. The only thing I can forsee being exchangeable would probably be the piston and the Cylinder, but even those I would be hesitant on.

I know Redwolf has parts for the V1O, and I remember a site somewhere that sold only FAMAS parts. I'm gonna have to find it for you. But for now, I would say that there is nothing compatible with the 'New World' from the Older V1. Even the V1N Gearbox used in the JP, CYMA, and CG isn't related to that one.

Sorry.
"-----------\_*_\
JLiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 20:07   #10
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotting View Post
Yea, the motor I'm using is a EG560. Was positive that the EG1000 is much longer than a EG560.

Kos-Mos, I'm gathering that you worked on a true V1? Since there's a couple things that are conflicting between both the lists provided, such as the gearsets and cylinder head.
Yes, and it was a pain to work with.

If you really want to field the FAMAS, you should source a Cybergun version. It's a straight forward conversion and it uses an hybrid V1-V2.
The externals are crap, but the insides are drop-in the in TM.
Old September 20th, 2012, 23:23   #11
JLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
The externals are crap, but the insides are drop-in the in TM.
I beg to differ. The externals on the CG/CYMA are WAY better than those on the TM. This, along with TM's AUG, are the only two examples in history where the plastic quality on TMs have been outdone by clones. The CG/CYMA's body is a nylon composite (Not Nylon Fibre) and has small bumps on it to increase grip on all parts of the rifle. TM's ABS Body is both creaky and brittle, and although the Hop-up (For the rifles that actually CAME with hop) was astounding, and the gearbox great for standards at that time, the body itself, to be frank, is absolute crap. I would suggest getting a CG/CYMA FAMAS over the TM anyday, simply because of more widespread V3/7 parts and because of a better body.

Also, the CYMA innards cannot be dropped in the TM. The tappet plate and tappet nozzle are attached in different ways, and the wiring is rerouted. In the CG, the nozzle is 'inside' the 'inner receiver' to form a better seal with the hop. In the TM, it comes right out. I would also then assume that both magwells and also both Hop units are different to compensate for this difference.

Anyway, that's kinda my rant on your two-phrase statement. Sorry. :P
"-----------\_*_\
Old September 20th, 2012, 23:31   #12
JLiang

Double poast.

At this URL you can buy the Bevel and Spur Gears for the V1O.

Edit: On second though, I don't think that would be a good idea. I PM'd it to you.

Edit Again: Here's an external link to a forum that is talking about the V1O disassembly. It has some closeups of parts, so here you are.

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/Ve...r-t128610.html
"-----------\_*_\

Last edited by JLiang; September 20th, 2012 at 23:37..
Old September 21st, 2012, 00:21   #13
JLiang

Alright. Last post of the day.

I have found the Holy Grail of all things FAMAS.

I would like to post the link, but I'm not sure if that's okay with the mods because there are rifles being sold on the site (All of them FAMASes).

So, I will post the URL, and if any mod tells me, I will instantly take it down.

Here you are. All you'll ever need in your V1O gearbox.

http://www.dentrinityshop.com/den_se...as&pg=5&rpp=10
"-----------\_*_\
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:43   #14
Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kos-Mos View Post
I guess you did not have a stock V1 mechbox... this sounds like the "custom" Cybergun one.

The V1 uses a non-standard motor, called RS800 or something. It's round, not flat like a EG1000
Yes, i was talking about the Cybergun one, sorry for the error...but most of the parts are the same except the motor as you mentionned.
Old September 24th, 2012, 16:32   #15
Kos-Mos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide View Post
Yes, i was talking about the Cybergun one, sorry for the error...but most of the parts are the same except the motor as you mentionned.
Nope, that is the thing.

The only parts that are the same are piston/piston head and cylinder.

All the other parts are V1 specific.

The Cybergun/CYMA are hybrid V2/V3/V7.

And it's a lot cheaper to get a clear Cybergun Famas and use TM's externals.
All the creaks/squeeks can be worked out, especially when swaping the insides, it's already appart to do the job.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner