Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Complete newb to airsoft questions

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 18th, 2012, 16:41   #16
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costane View Post
Huh, I'm really looking at this M4, I really really don't like the front rail system, seems like it would be hard to mount any grips or tac lights on it. It also seems rather small, but that could just be from the pictures.

If the below is the one that you are referring to, no, it doesn't have a rail-system. It's an OEM style M4A1 - as it comes from the factory (as real-steel). It's up to you to pick and install a front RIS and customize/gucci'fy the rifle to your taste. You can buy M4's pre-customized/different models that already have these - but the price goes up accordingly. That King Arms M4A1 is the one that is generally considered the best bang for the buck at present, for noobs to consider when starting out. Not so expensive, that you'll be taking a huge financial hit, if airsoft isn't for you after all.

Look at this thread, and you'll see what various flavors of M4 can take - either from an airsoft manufacturer, or customized by the owner.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=139628

HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 16:46   #17
Costane

Send a message via MSN to Costane Send a message via Yahoo to Costane Send a message via Skype™ to Costane
Cool cool ^_^ I'm not so worried about the financial hit as I collect disengaged guns, so I could just add it to a collection. I think I'll head into a local store and check out some M4s. Would you recommend an M4 in general or the King Arms one specifically? If you're ignoring price that is.
Costane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 16:48   #18
Ramcke

You can replace part(s) of the gun to accommodate tactical accessories and upgrade it's performance.

What your looking for is a affordable and durable base gun platform to begin with. Then start using and get the feel of it by learning the in's and out's of the gun, then adjust accordingly based on your play style on the parts you want to pimp that bad boy.
Ramcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 16:54   #19
Costane

Send a message via MSN to Costane Send a message via Yahoo to Costane Send a message via Skype™ to Costane
Yeah, I guess it would be a bad idea to go completely all out before I even use the rifle. Sometimes you just get caught up looking at shiny things you know? :P
Old July 18th, 2012, 17:12   #20
Ramcke

lol... Been there so I am taking it slowly this time. Also if you start adding to much accessories on to the gun, it starts to get heavy. Then plus gear your wearing it will start to add up weight wise and take a toll on you by end of the day.
Ramcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 17:15   #21
Costane

Mhm, definitely didn't think it through, I just had grand ideas of me walking around with a gold plated M4 with a corner shot barrel, snapping sniper stock and stupid tacky things like that hahaha.
Old July 18th, 2012, 17:23   #22
Costane

What do you think about that for a starter gun? :P
Old July 18th, 2012, 17:27   #23
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

keeping in mind that the handguard is where the battery is kept, replacing this with certain RIS units basically takes the space away for the battery, so you'd need a peqbox accessory or rewire the gun to the rear and use a stock that can hold a battery.

There's not a whole lot of accessories to put on imo... a grip of some kind if that's your fancy, but almost everyone I see with a grip uses the magwell as a grip more than the foregrip or angled foregrip. maybe a flashlight if you are playing in the dark.. you wouldn't really leave it on when you're not using it.. just something else to get shot out. And like I said, if you go with a compact rail system, you will need to rewire or use a PEQ box to store your battery, that attaches to the rails as well.

the KA has a removable carry handle so there's a flat top rail underneath it to attach an optic of your choice. Most optics will fit in that amount of space.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 17:46   #24
Costane

Cool cool. So one more question. Would you say it is okay to carry your rifle in a duffle bag? I have a few guncases, but they are very heavy and clunky. I was thinking of maybe just using one of my duffles to carry the rifle alone. As far as the rail system, to combat the battery problem I would most likely get a stock that could hold a battery and just move it.
Old July 18th, 2012, 17:47   #25
Freeze

I don't know much on the topic of the rifles, but as for pistols, WE is like....the best way I can think of is like comparing...I don't even know.

But what I can tell you, from experience, is that WE Pistols have a variety of problems that don't even have to do with the fact that the ones at TA have PLASTIC midframes. I've personally gone through 3 midframes in just 2 months so I highly, HIGHLY recommend staying away from them. In fact, I just gave up trying to fix it and got a new pistol instead.

For a bit more, you can get a full metal KWA from ___ (pm incoming). Which should last a lot longer. For me, my KWA M93R (Full Metal) has already lasted longer than my plastic midframed WE. And I only recieved my KWA last week.

TM G17 Loki Tactical Pink - TM G19 TTI Combat Master
Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 17:59   #26
HackD

Quote:
Cool cool ^_^ I'm not so worried about the financial hit as I collect disengaged guns, so I could just add it to a collection. I think I'll head into a local store and check out some M4s. Would you recommend an M4 in general or the King Arms one specifically? If you're ignoring price that is.
Quote:
Yeah, I guess it would be a bad idea to go completely all out before I even use the rifle. Sometimes you just get caught up looking at shiny things you know? :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingknight View Post
keeping in mind that the handguard is where the battery is kept, replacing this with certain RIS units basically takes the space away for the battery, so you'd need a peqbox accessory or rewire the gun to the rear and use a stock that can hold a battery.

There's not a whole lot of accessories to put on imo... a grip of some kind if that's your fancy, but almost everyone I see with a grip uses the magwell as a grip more than the foregrip or angled foregrip. maybe a flashlight if you are playing in the dark.. you wouldn't really leave it on when you're not using it.. just something else to get shot out. And like I said, if you go with a compact rail system, you will need to rewire or use a PEQ box to store your battery, that attaches to the rails as well.

the KA has a removable carry handle so there's a flat top rail underneath it to attach an optic of your choice. Most optics will fit in that amount of space.
The best advice i could give, you've partially covered already. Get thee to a gun-dealer, see what they've got on offer that tickles your fancy, and balance your budget accordingly.

I would strongly suggest that whichever gun you choose, you do the appropriate research first, to discover the common faults, weaknesses and parts availability. Due diligence is definitely something that will pay off.

Also, before you start buying up trinkets and bobbles to Gucci up that blaster - attend a few games first. See what people are using, ask what works, and what doesn't. Most people on the field are not afraid of giving you a good show and tell time, if you ask them nicely about it. This goes for all aspects of airsoft - guns, gear, and trinkets for everything else. You'll save yourself money in the end, when the wide world of online retail airsoft opens up with Age Verification, and you see 'new shineys' everywhere to buy. Your spare (useless) parts collection will be smaller in the end for it.

LurkingKnight is correct. RIS begats rear rewiring. Rewiring begats a new stock for a new battery. That is how i basically got my start with my M4.. a few purchases later, i settled on an angled foregrip and a red-dot tube sight (aimpoint) to round it out. I've got more than a few useless parts after picking the wrong parts (optics, mostly) along the way, also.
Old July 18th, 2012, 18:02   #27
Costane

Thanks for all the advice and I'll look into your PM. ^_^ I'll post again if I come up with anymore questions. Also, love the use of Thee Hackd. :P
Old July 18th, 2012, 18:06   #28
HackD

Quote:
Cool cool. So one more question. Would you say it is okay to carry your rifle in a duffle bag? I have a few guncases, but they are very heavy and clunky. I was thinking of maybe just using one of my duffles to carry the rifle alone. As far as the rail system, to combat the battery problem I would most likely get a stock that could hold a battery and just move it.
1. If you've got a gun-case, use it. Once you are geared up, you'll find yourself hard-pressed to jam all the damn gear into just one Duffel-bag. It also helps in treating the airsoft rifle, as if it were the real deal.. which you should be doing, no matter how minimally lethal that it potentially is - a respect for the tools of the trade, sort of thing. I squeeze 3 rifles into a gun-case meant for 1.. and bring about three bags of assorted gear/crap with me to a game.

2. Remember with a battery box on the front end, along with the increased weight of the RIS over the plastic fore-stock shell, it'll get significantly front heavy. In the interests of balance, you might want to get it set up for a battery in the stock. Something you could check out for yourself at a game, with other people's rifles if they allow you to do a comparison.

Last edited by HackD; July 18th, 2012 at 18:14..
Old July 18th, 2012, 18:13   #29
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

yeah next on my gear list is a bag or hardcase that can store 2-3 guns.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:03   #30
JerryMcGoulBerry

1. Can I bring only a sidearm to a milsim/CQB match and still play?
usually. id say yes. but buy a rifle. just do it.

2. For milsim, I have a tactical pistol vest/ammo pouches, mask, full outfit, boots and gloves. Do I need anything else gear wise?
can never go wrong with knee pands

3. Do electric airsoft rifles have blowback on their slides?
some do. the G&G have pnuematic blowback which doesnt damage the gun. all other electric rifles with blowback degrade the gun alot more.
4. What gun would you recommend for a primary rifle for a complete newb?
well if you have decided that airsoft is your sport then I would go with a 300$ budget. ARES G36c looks good to me. however if you want blow back go on Buyairsoft.ca and look at the G&G series. they're having a sale and giving really good deals. I'd go with the M4 becasue they have rails already installed and M4 mags are dirt cheap. M4s are really user friendly.
5. On the events section there are paintball fields listed, can you play airsoft there or only paintball?
2/3 paintball fields in my region allow airsoft. send an email or go on the FAQ and see.

6. As far as gear, do I need to buy coms?
They're helpful but I dont often see them. if you want to.
7. Would it be illegal for me to target practice in my back yard with my handgun?
I would warn your neighbors first. if you haev a chain fence then no.
8. When it comes to Milsim, do teams just form when they get to the field or do you need a team before you go?
they usually pick by camo or just randomly select.
JerryMcGoulBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank