Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MOSFETS How Do They Work?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 15th, 2011, 02:45   #1
Firewalker

Send a message via ICQ to Firewalker Send a message via AIM to Firewalker Send a message via MSN to Firewalker Send a message via Yahoo to Firewalker
MOSFETS How Do They Work?

I've been trying to wrap my head around these things, and there's just a bunch of technical jargon...

...Can someone who speaks plain layman not electrician please, for the love of ticks on jesus' sack, break these things down for me and how they work in airsoft guns or point me to a link that my searches haven't found that explains these in plain retard friendly english?

I've been around for years, I'm just an inexperienced (aka neeeewwwwb) gun tech, most of my stuff has run stock or been given to friends to fix. So trying to figure all this out might be overwhelming my brainjuice.

EDIT: Not just "how they work" but what my options are, and what's the best route to go. I'm looking to make a gun 3 burst fire.
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:07   #2
L473ncy

There are a few makers, Unconventional Airsoft has one (Trigger Master), then there's the Extreme Fire ones that supposedly the Trigger Master designs are based on.

AWS has a FET too. And those are just the companies off the top of my head there are many more.

As for what they do, AFAIK from what I remember from my circuit design days it's basically a transistor with a gate and amplifier (in it's most simplest incarnation). In the airsoft world I believe programmable computer units were added on that do things like single shot, single with delay, 3 round burst, etc.

I believe a FET is a must when dealing with high voltage guns (ie. 9.6V+) as well as LiPo's due to the FET reducing "arcing" or something and saving the trigger assy from getting lots of carbon deposits and not working anymore.

EDIT: I just realized I assumed people knew what "assy" meant. Just in case it means "assembly" (as in "assy and details").

Last edited by L473ncy; June 15th, 2011 at 11:09..
L473ncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:13   #3
Rugger_can

It involves the gun fairy.

Seriously though, they basically are lowering the amount of electricity that passes through the contacts and wires of the trigger system thereby reducing strain on those parts in higher voltage applications as their most basic function.

http://www.airsoftmechanics.com/home...ategory/13/30/

As for brands? I dunno, The only link I have was Unconventional Airsoft but he's out of that game.. Try http://extreme-fire.com/
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 03:29   #4
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Buy an "ASCU" from redwolf and bring it to me, I'll show you how it works, and I'll install and rewire the gun too.
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:55   #5
Firewalker

Send a message via ICQ to Firewalker Send a message via AIM to Firewalker Send a message via MSN to Firewalker Send a message via Yahoo to Firewalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderCactus View Post
Buy an "ASCU" from redwolf and bring it to me, I'll show you how it works, and I'll install and rewire the gun too.
Viable Option Unlocked! lol... Thanks, I'll pick it up in a month or so and come bothering you. My SIG fires at an insane rof and I don't want to burn through all my midcaps
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:34   #6
Amos

Don't buy an ASCU if it's not for a version 2.

Also, get it from airsoftparts.ca, same price as redwolf, and local.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 09:53   #7
MadMorbius
Wait, I thought they created an electronic switch to replace mechanical switching?

Not afraid to say I don't know fuckall about these new fangled gadgets either...
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:07   #8
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
Wait, I thought they created an electronic switch to replace mechanical switching?

Not afraid to say I don't know fuckall about these new fangled gadgets either...
yes they did. the ASCU has a micro switch to replace the standard mechanical switch assembly. eliminates the arcing that occurs from high voltage on low quality contacts.

other mosfets reduce the voltage going to the switch assembly which greatly reduces the arcing that happens but you still use the same switch assembly.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:37   #9
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel

Two weeks Later

In all seriousness, its an electronic switch that replaces your physical copper contact switch. The benefits range from quicker response time, lower resistance, programmed features and no arcing between contacts (which traditionally happens with lipos)

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:07   #10
Cobrajr122
2 Cent Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
Don't buy an ASCU if it's not for a version 2.

Also, get it from airsoftparts.ca, same price as redwolf, and local.
CHEAPER then RW actually.

I'v got the ASCU V2 in my G3, Very happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
My SIG fires at an insane rof and I don't want to burn through all my midcaps
Well, if you want the 3 round burst from the ASCU then you are good to go. If you plan on still using auto, you might want to go with a trigger master. the ASCU has no ROF changing options, where the trigger master has many.

Last edited by Cobrajr122; June 15th, 2011 at 11:12..
Cobrajr122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:47   #11
T-Hell

On this note. Reccomend mosfet for a realsword type97
For lipo battery. Dont care about 3 rnd burst etc. Just lipo care. And active braking etc

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
T-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 15:32   #12
Amos

Pending space the trigger master is the way to go for any non v2 guns.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 16:08   #13
THe_Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post

Two weeks Later

In all seriousness, its an electronic switch that replaces your physical copper contact switch. The benefits range from quicker response time, lower resistance, programmed features and no arcing between contacts (which traditionally happens with lipos)
What you're referring to are electronic switch assemblies, which are not part of the MOSFET itself. You can choose to replace the trigger assembly with an electronic switch when installing a MOSFET. Also, arcing traditionally can happen regardless if you're using a lipo or not; I've seen it happen with 8.4v batteries or lower. Even more of a reason to get a MOSFET!

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle
-Founder of Steel City Hamilton Infantry and Tactics
-Certified level 43 Autosniper by Commander Amos
THe_Silencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 19:26   #14
T-Hell

realize that... Just looking for the Mosfet to tell me if the Lipo has drained too much so when I recharge it... it does not kill me..

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
T-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 20:56   #15
Firewalker

I have a version 3 gearbox, so what are my options? I'd I can even just reduce the rof to something reasonable, I'd be happy. I don't need to be dumping the 120 round mag at the same speed my old gun dumped lowcaps.

Last edited by Firewalker; June 15th, 2011 at 20:58..
Firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank