Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Possible problem with battery?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old January 28th, 2011, 16:16   #1
AJ457

Possible problem with battery?

I have an Aftermath Broxa Evolution MP5 (AR whatever) and I just got it today after Canada Post took their sweet time getting to me. The 8.2v 1200mAh battery seems to not work. Now I did charge it as per the usual deal with a new gun and battery for 5 hours using their charger they sent with the gun.

Now I called Aftermath (GAMO) directly and gave their tech guy my problem. I went through steps with him that had no effect. He told me he could nothing for me. What a surprise.

Now I thought of maybe trying my 7.2v 1500mAh battery from my DPMS in it because it's a lower voltage and still has some charge in it. I plugged it in as they're the same connectors and it fired a few shots before stopping altogether.

I'm wondering if this is just a battery issue or what? I can send it back to Cabelas where I bought it from paying 30-ish dollars for shipping that won't be refunded and will take God knows how long to get back or buy a new battery possibly.

My question for the Gun Doc is this: If my 7.2v 1500mAh battery gets it working, is this a battery issue as simple as the 8.2v being defective or could there still be an issue inside of the gun?

Thanks in advance for your help oh Airsoft Gurus.
AJ457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 16:56   #2
audi_bhoy

I'd first try the 7.2V fully charged, if it had only remaining power and being lower voltage might make it spins 2-3 rounds and then stop.

Try your 7.2v with full charge, then if it does cycle, the 8.4v is mostly defective.

If you have access to a multimeter, you might want to test the output voltage of the 8.4v Battery, it shall be higher than 8.6v, if it's under 8.4v, it's fried.
audi_bhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 17:59   #3
AJ457

Did exactly what you said and the 7.2v works perfectly fine. Hooked up the 8.4v to my volt tester after 5 hours of charging and it came out with 2.3 volts. It's toast. Am I able to replace it with an 8.4v 5000mAh battery? I was told a 9.6v would work in it, is this advisable?
Old January 28th, 2011, 18:47   #4
coach
aka coachster

Are you using large cells or mini?

An 8.4v 5000mAh will do just fine. It will extend your play time dramatically over the 1200mAH.

A 9.6v will work if you have space and increase your ROF but understand that a low end AEG gearbox will wear faster due to the higher cycle frequency. You will also have a greater risk of destroying the switch assembly due to increased arcing.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 19:03   #5
audi_bhoy

As coachster said, if you have space for that large 8.4v go for it, unless you want to upgrade the internals of the gearbox to ensure it holds the extra voltage and ROF.
audi_bhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 20:56   #6
AJ457

Actually my system is set up with the large 8.4v so yeah it's all good. I won't upgrade any internals or anything yet until I know how to gun performs in games. With the 7.4v the ROF is pretty good so I imagine the 8.4v will increase it to my liking. Much appreciated gentlemen.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner