Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

M14 vs. MP40 vs. MP44 (AGM) Which is the best?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old December 15th, 2010, 16:18   #31
Boyso
a.k.a. LastSpartan

Send a message via MSN to Boyso
Also don't forget that if you do WWII milsims, it was made in '44. If you're OP is in '43, well theoretically, you're wrong :P

I say go for the MP40 as a starter guns.

You'll want more than one gun anyway.

"WHEN I DIE
BURY ME
UPSIDE DOWN
SO THE WORLD
CAN KISS MY ASS"
-Platoon

Boyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 16:31   #32
BoGrain
représentant officiel de
     WW2Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSpartan View Post
Also don't forget that if you do WWII milsims, it was made in '44. If you're OP is in '43, well theoretically, you're wrong :P

I say go for the MP40 as a starter guns.

You'll want more than one gun anyway.
well technically the STG44 (AKA MP44) was first produced in november 1942 as the MKb 42(H) - 11833 of them were send to troop on the front-line for field trial in the late 1942/beginning of 1943. Following the field trial, a few changes were made which ultimately leads to the adoption of the final production version which we know today as the Sturmgewehr 44 (Maschinenpistole 43, Maschinenpistole 44 was also used to refer to the weapons). It would therefore be theoretically correct to see an early version of the STG44 on the eastern front in 1943 albeit they were rare.

Beside, just the fact that you made the effort to have a period weapons is more than good enough in my books - historical accuracy is just the icing on the cake.

But if you want to be on the safe side from an historical point of view, the mp40 was used from the start to the end of the war with few variations being made. Personally, I think you should choose the weapon you like first and worry about history later.
Old December 15th, 2010, 16:37   #33
Boyso
a.k.a. LastSpartan

Send a message via MSN to Boyso
Yeah.

I like MP40 better :P

"WHEN I DIE
BURY ME
UPSIDE DOWN
SO THE WORLD
CAN KISS MY ASS"
-Platoon

Boyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 16:52   #34
BoGrain
représentant officiel de
     WW2Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSpartan View Post
Yeah.

I like MP40 better :P
Glad you do too - I always preferred the mp40 too - the MP40 was also truly innovative in its own sense. In fact, the mg42, the mp40 and the stg44 have all influenced post-war weapon design to a significant extent; however, the MP40 marked a turning point in term of innovation through its use of the folding stock (a first in the world of submachine gun), the introduction of steel stamping combined with electro-spot welding techniques instead of machine steel, the first use of a polymer (bakelite) in the construction. It was a revolutionary design that inspired both soviet and american - PPS-43 and M3 grease gun respectively during WW2 - and the AK-47s folding stock - post war

Last edited by BoGrain; December 15th, 2010 at 17:02..
BoGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 17:06   #35
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming_Eagle View Post
Crunchmeister- Thanks for the info. Most of the reviews I have read about the AGM M14 say that it is good, but the reviewers probably have never handled a TM or other High quality one.
The problem with reviews is their source. It's the same for anything, be it airsoft or anything. Every noob that thinks his new cheapo item is hot shit writes a glowing review of it 10 minutes after unpacking the item. And they have no experience with their item in the first place, so have no idea what to really look for when looking for problems or flaws.

I don't know how many times I've seen noobs here on ASC calling their cheapo gun "awesome", only to be told by others it was crap. Then they defend their position about their awesome new gun and the thread turns into a shitstorm of name-calling, etc. In a couple of weeks, said noob is starting a thread in the gun doc section because their awesome new gun is now badly broken after only a few test shots at home.

That being said, I also think a lot of the older guys have have thousands of dollars invested into their top of the line guns are sometimes overly harsh and get extremely butthurt when they see an upgraded "cheap" gun that cost 1/5 the price of their masterpieces that outperform them and are more reliable. But that's the other end of the scale and it doesn't apply here.

That aside, the lower end M14s really are junk. Anyone here on ASC who's owned one for a while will tell you they're very problematic. While they may perform reasonably well with internal upgrades, the externals will fall apart in no time.
Old December 15th, 2010, 17:17   #36
BoGrain
représentant officiel de
     WW2Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
The problem with reviews is their source. It's the same for anything, be it airsoft or anything. Every noob that thinks his new cheapo item is hot shit writes a glowing review of it 10 minutes after unpacking the item. And they have no experience with their item in the first place, so have no idea what to really look for when looking for problems or flaws.

I don't know how many times I've seen noobs here on ASC calling their cheapo gun "awesome", only to be told by others it was crap. Then they defend their position about their awesome new gun and the thread turns into a shitstorm of name-calling, etc. In a couple of weeks, said noob is starting a thread in the gun doc section because their awesome new gun is now badly broken after only a few test shots at home.

That being said, I also think a lot of the older guys have have thousands of dollars invested into their top of the line guns are sometimes overly harsh and get extremely butthurt when they see an upgraded "cheap" gun that cost 1/5 the price of their masterpieces that outperform them and are more reliable. But that's the other end of the scale and it doesn't apply here.

That aside, the lower end M14s really are junk. Anyone here on ASC who's owned one for a while will tell you they're very problematic. While they may perform reasonably well with internal upgrades, the externals will fall apart in no time.
+1 Chinese clone are hit or miss (cheap clearsoft are always a miss) - the AGM M14 are no exception. Except that in the case of M14, chinese clones have yet to produced and reliable copy of the m14 internals; while chinese brand AKs like CYMA/Dboys are very popular because they have achieved a decent levels of hit relative to the miss over the years. So for now, it is safer to stick with a Tokyo Marui M14 until the clone company step up their quality control so that buying one results in a relatively safe calculated risk.
Old December 15th, 2010, 18:13   #37
Screaming_Eagle

Since it will be a starter weapon, I probably will go with the MP40 or maybe the CYMA Thompson.

Thanks for all of the info everyone.
Screaming_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 00:08   #38
shiftsup

Hey, what kind of fields do you play at?

If they are heavily wooded areas you might want to avoid the M14. It's a Battle Rifle and akin to carrying a fishing pole in the forest. I have done that and it's not so much fun.

IMHO the AGM MP40 is wanting. I have had two of them. They are creaky and the shot per shot perfromance is horribly inconsistent. The Cyma Thompson is a better choice for a WW2 airsoft SMG. Besides that, the MP40 isn't the best to use when prone due to the long magazines.

I have participated in a few WW2 milsims in Ontario. I can barely recall anyone using an AGM MP40 in recent memory.

The MP44 shoots a wee bit hot for most fields. It has its' faults too (hop up and fastener issues come to mind immediately). But out of the three I would recommend the MP44. The hi cap mags haven't been much of a problem from what I witnessed at WW2 milsims. Most players only have one and fill it will the appropriate bb's.

Don't worry about that period appropriate nonsense either. WW2 airsoft is in it's infancy in Ontario. And besides that most of guys that have allied impressions are either 101st or British / Canadian Airborne. This makes the games ETO and Normandy or Post Normandy or "what ifs".

Given that the price point for these three AEG's is roughly the same I recommend you go with the MP44.

How the Axis AEG goes over with your Allied impression is another story

Anyways, it's not my problem. Enjoy your overpriced shaving acessories.
shiftsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 22:07   #39
Screaming_Eagle

Oh, I intend to liberate it from an enemy. That along with a WE Luger

Thanks shiftsup, for the respone! I appreciate your input. I am seriously considering the MP44. I am guessing that they run in the $350-450 range for the gun itself?
And one more question: How much does it cost to fix the fps on the mp44 so that it meets the ASC rule for 400? (Its 400 right?)

Thanks!
Old December 16th, 2010, 22:10   #40
pusangani
Official ASC "Dumb Ass"

it's not an ASC rule, it depends on where you play, talk to your local community. to lower or raise the fps, you will need to change the spring.
Old December 16th, 2010, 22:20   #41
HauntedTank

Quote:
@ Strelok Makes sense.

The reason for me being specific is because I am creating a ww2 US Airborne impression. I want to have a 'captured gun' complete with mag pouches

I know the CYMA Thompson is very solid from what Ive heard. Its just that Im looking for something different.

@ Donster

Thanks. Yeah, I am going with a ww2 impression.
Congrats trooper welcome to WWII... well soon.
Here is a great site located in canada for WWII uniforms.
http://www.militarytour.com/

Haunted Tank
HauntedTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 22:24   #42
shiftsup

Quote:
Oh, I intend to liberate it from an enemy. That along with a WE Luger

Thanks shiftsup, for the respone! I appreciate your input. I am seriously considering the MP44. I am guessing that they run in the $350-450 range for the gun itself?
And one more question: How much does it cost to fix the fps on the mp44 so that it meets the ASC rule for 400? (Its 400 right?)

Thanks!
Like Pus said, you just have to change the spring.

That being said, plenty of MP44's at ww2 games are running stock internals.

I got my MP44 for <$400 including shipping.

Anyways, it's not my problem. Enjoy your overpriced shaving acessories.
shiftsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 22:29   #43
Screaming_Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HauntedTank View Post
Congrats trooper welcome to WWII... well soon.
Here is a great site located in canada for WWII uniforms.
http://www.militarytour.com/

Haunted Tank
Tank, I already have all of the gear! I ordered from Atthefront.com- they're great to do business with.

@Shiftsup and pusagani- Thanks. $400.00 isnt that bad.
Old December 16th, 2010, 22:36   #44
Crunchmeister

Quote:
That along with a WE Luger
I have a WE Luger. The gun itself if actually quite well built for the most part. It's your average WE pistol "default" paint job, but it's well done. The plastic grip feels cheap, but looks ok. Otherwise, it looks great. and functions well. The only problem I've ever had with the gun is the front sight broke loose after a lot of shooting. However, it can easily be glued back on with any adhesive that bonds metals.

Otherwise, the gun has always performed flawlessly. and I haven't had any failures. That being said, I don't game the gun. Mine is a plinker but has been shot a lot. It still functions lilke it's supposed to. IMO, the WE is the only real way to go for a gaming Luger. That's the gun.

The magazines, however, are another issue. I've had 2, and both sprung massive leaks repeatedly. Every seal, from fill valves, to main body valves has burst massive leaks. I've managed to temporarily get them working again either with silicone oil or sealing the mag with a gasket sealer, but they always end up failing again somewhere else. Your results may vary. I haven't really looked into the Luger mags in a couple of years, so they may have improved since I got mine.
Old December 16th, 2010, 22:43   #45
Screaming_Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
I have a WE Luger. The gun itself if actually quite well built for the most part. It's your average WE pistol "default" paint job, but it's well done. The plastic grip feels cheap, but looks ok. Otherwise, it looks great. and functions well. The only problem I've ever had with the gun is the front sight broke loose after a lot of shooting. However, it can easily be glued back on with any adhesive that bonds metals.

Otherwise, the gun has always performed flawlessly. and I haven't had any failures. That being said, I don't game the gun. Mine is a plinker but has been shot a lot. It still functions lilke it's supposed to. IMO, the WE is the only real way to go for a gaming Luger. That's the gun.

The magazines, however, are another issue. I've had 2, and both sprung massive leaks repeatedly. Every seal, from fill valves, to main body valves has burst massive leaks. I've managed to temporarily get them working again either with silicone oil or sealing the mag with a gasket sealer, but they always end up failing again somewhere else. Your results may vary. I haven't really looked into the Luger mags in a couple of years, so they may have improved since I got mine.
Thanks Crunchmeister!

Im not too focused on a side arm right now, but I have always liked the look of the WE Luger. Ive read that it can shoot 300 on a warm day- do you think that is true?

Thanks once again for sharing.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion