Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

SRC M4 R.I.S. (Gen 3) Problems - Need Help

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 15th, 2010, 06:51   #1
othellobloke

SRC M4 R.I.S. (Gen 3) Problems - Need Help

I bought a SRC M4 R.I.S. (Gen 3) from Ken at 007airsoft.com.

The thing that sucked is Ken said because a certain amount of time passed he couldn't replace my M4 even after having replaced two weapons before I thought he would see there's a pattern forming and that the weapon was defective... so when he put money over customer satisfaction and pulled that 15 day return thing I was extremely disappointed and thought that was just bogus. I get he's got a business to run blah blah - but THREE weapons, ALL had something wrong and I thought out of good faith, and in the interest of keeping a customer happy he'd replace it or at least do whatever it took to make it right.

I bought a G36K too and that seems to be working half decent so far apart from a few minor cracks in the upper receiver just below the front of the carrying handle.

The whole episode with this M4 has left me with a bad taste in my mouth and I'm probably going to start scoping for a different way of acquiring them - which sucks because I want to buy a G36 soon.

First M4 the tabs near the rear body pin were broken. Sent it back Ken sent me another one. That M4 - the tabs were broken so I sent it back and Ken sent me another one. Third one - one of the rear nubs/tabs that points in towards the barrel on the lower grip just beneath the slip ring were broken. I figured no biggie.

On closer inspection it turns out one of the rear tabs on the upper receiver near the rear body pin was broken off completely again and the other was cracked. I didn't want to have to send back a third time so I figured I'd leave it. Gun worked fine. One day the gun simply stopped firing. Heard a whirring sound when hit the trigger. I got mad and just left the damn weapon for nearly six months I think.

Eventually I took the entire thing apart. Now I have narrowed down a problem. The gun works FINE if I put my weight on a screwdriver and push the motor all the way down into the handle. But the second I put the grip base-cover back in screwed all the way, the motor obviously pops up a millimetre or whatever and won't engage the gears. Is something missing between the battery and the grip base-cover to push the motor down further so it goes into the gears?

So now I need to figure out a way to secure the upper receiver to the lower receiver with broken tabs (aside from using ducktape), AND to force the motor further down inside the grip.

Can anyone help please?
othellobloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:07   #2
cjboi

buy a metal receiver for your gun!
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:15   #3
HKGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjboi View Post
buy a metal receiver for your gun!
+1.

To OP: Don't go around bad mouthing Ken. He didn't make the guns, he just sells them. You never know, they could have left the factory like that. After all, it is a plastic body. He was nice enough to exchange your guns a few times without questions so the least you can do is appreciate his customer service. I don't believe he goes around and purposely break his guns.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:32   #4
baker_Jeff

Yeah, problems 6 months later are unfortunately up to the user to fix. We retailers have NO idea what may have happened to the gun in that time, hence the short warranty periods offered by the distributors of these toys.

Since you've got the gun apart, simply buy replacement parts and slap it back together.

Out of the Game 04/22/16
baker_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:42   #5
cjboi

Ken has done a great job bringing in SRC guns in Canada. Remember you bought a cansoft version of these guns, the durability of these cansoft crap aren't as good as the full metal ones. SRC gen 3 full metal guns are superb in my opinion.
Old November 15th, 2010, 12:54   #6
Kos-Mos

Is your M4 body a Canadian Forces one?

If so, the reason it keeps breaking is that the body is not made for the SRC upper receiver.

I worked at a surplus store here that carry the SRC line and I changed over 20 clear bodies because they literally explode in shipping. Temperature changes affect the plastic. Since the body was wedged-in, there was already some stress in the body.

If you had to remove the motor and remove the mechbox from the lower receiver before removing the upper receiver, that means you got one of the bodies I am talking about.

Seriously, the best solution is to buy a metal receiver set. I built a rifle over a SRC mechbox I had and it is a beast, with a KingArms metal body, ICS M4A1 front end, TM RAS panels and TM full stock. You can do the same by just changing the receiver, if you managed to get the gun apart like you stated, half the job is done.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2010, 18:19   #7
othellobloke

Hkghost - it's not bad mouthing. It's exactly what happened. Ask Ken and he'll tell you the same thing. In my opinion - customer satisfaction is more important than his $400 or whatever because now I'm going to look for other weapons elsewhere, whereas before I was going to stay solely with him.

The upper receiver is aluminum - not plastic and so it shouldn't be breaking.

BakerJeff - the problem started about four days after I got the THIRD one. So all three had the same problem.

Kos-Mos - you said a metal receiver set? I'm assuming you're referring to the upper receiver right? I thought lower receivers in Canada had to be tinted plastic? Where can I buy a metal upper receiver if aluminum isn't strong enough?

Also - any idea how to force the motor further down inside the grip so it can engage the gears? I think something's missing between the bottom of the motor and the grip bottom plate.
Old November 15th, 2010, 18:43   #8
cjboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellobloke View Post
Hkghost - it's not bad mouthing. It's exactly what happened. Ask Ken and he'll tell you the same thing. In my opinion - customer satisfaction is more important than his $400 or whatever because now I'm going to look for other weapons elsewhere, whereas before I was going to stay solely with him.

The upper receiver is aluminum - not plastic and so it shouldn't be breaking.

BakerJeff - the problem started about four days after I got the THIRD one. So all three had the same problem.

Kos-Mos - you said a metal receiver set? I'm assuming you're referring to the upper receiver right? I thought lower receivers in Canada had to be tinted plastic? Where can I buy a metal upper receiver if aluminum isn't strong enough?

Also - any idea how to force the motor further down inside the grip so it can engage the gears? I think something's missing between the bottom of the motor and the grip bottom plate.
If your 18 and over, you can get age verified. There's a couple of receivers in the classifieds. You have to get TM compatible receivers for your SRC m4.
Old November 15th, 2010, 19:00   #9
othellobloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjboi View Post
If your 18 and over, you can get age verified. There's a couple of receivers in the classifieds. You have to get TM compatible receivers for your SRC m4.
What's a TM compatible receiver? How do I get age verified if I live hundreds and hundreds of kilometres from the nearest dude?

The receivers... are you referring to upper or lower?
Old November 15th, 2010, 19:04   #10
cjboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellobloke View Post
What's a TM compatible receiver? How do I get age verified if I live hundreds and hundreds of kilometres from the nearest dude?

The receivers... are you referring to upper or lower?
I'm referring to both. Most retailers here in ASC sells both top and lower receiver for the M4/M16. Contact any verifiers that lives close to you or lives in the same province as you, then I'm sure you guys can work something out. TM compatible means tokyo marui compatible.
Old November 16th, 2010, 19:55   #11
LocoYokoPoco
a.k.a. ian209

Wow you're lucky he even replaced a few weapons. That's pretty much physical damage and most people wouldn't even replace it. Don't bad mouth Ken like that, it's very very disrespectful.

As for Age verification, contact the person nearest to you to work something out.
Here's a list of people"
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=74996

Armory
-KWA Tavor TAR21 GBBR
-TM PX4 w/Detonator Aluminum Slide
LocoYokoPoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 22:08   #12
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

dude... the SRC gen3 metal bodies in general dont need the tabs on the upper receiver, since they designed there own thing to that the upper is "locked" to the lower receiver when its assembled, tabs could break, gun would still hold, (unlike TM m4s, where the gun would split in half)

That's the reason why they are such a pain to disassemble....

PS: for your motor problem, its normal that when you dont have the motor grip base installed, you'll need to push the motor in to cycle the gearbox, motor tip has a spring!

And when the grip is installed and you have problem to cycle the gearbox, check the motor height adjustement!

PPS: I totally agree with Loco, you were lucky he did that for you... and he just said enough after the 4th time.... what's wrong with that?
Old November 16th, 2010, 22:34   #13
othellobloke

Gunny - What's wrong with it? I'll tell you what's wrong with it.

The buyer's responsibility is to pay the full amount - the supplier's responsibility is to provide an undamaged working product.

Regarding the motor - it doesn't cycle the gearbox when the grip base is on. Is there something I can do to push it further down?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Loco - it's not bad mouthing. Bad mouthing would be calling Ken an asshole. I didn't. I wrote down exactly what happened and ALL of it is true. Point out which part is bad mouthing. I fulfilled my end of the bargain by paying the full amount - I expect to get what I pay for.

If it is physical damage then it certainly was NOT by me - why should I have to pay for something I didn't do, as I am now? If the tabs are a design flaw (Ken told me after the third one that they are design weakness or something like that) then he should have stated that before I bought the product, and I would have bought something else.

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's quite simple - I want to buy and receive an undamaged product.
Old November 16th, 2010, 22:43   #14
Gunny_McSmith
a.k.a. Palucol

yep, unscrew the tiny little screw in the middle of the grip, that should lower the motor height,

Check on youtube,they are vids on how to do that

And yes, on the SRC gen3 m4/hk416, the tabs will break if you remove the mechbox, one broke on my full metal SRC hk416, and the upper receiver doesnt even wobble at all...

Last edited by Gunny_McSmith; November 16th, 2010 at 22:45..
Gunny_McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2010, 22:44   #15
BGrail25

Does the motor wind the spring and then lock at the end almost as if the battery died? Mine did that, and it ended up being a combination of a shitty battery, improper motor height, and the problem of the wires not being properly fastened to the motor terminals.

EDIT: You might want to double-check that last one, because it sounds a lot like the problem. But I could be wrong.
BGrail25 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner