Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G36C or L85 A2?

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old March 20th, 2010, 17:57   #16
heyds

I really like the look of the L85A2. I've seen a video or two and I saw that it has blowback aswell. Can anyone support this? And as for rate of fire, are the two about equal?

heyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 18:04   #17
Moose29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep in the bush View Post
g36 is the easiest AEg i ever had to get into for upgrades. It takes about 10 minutes to swap a spring.

I also have 9 of them.
as for the G36c, first AEG ive owned... sadly i believe the KWA version i bought had a lemon for a gearbox.. but other than that... be warned... they are heavy!!
Moose29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 18:19   #18
Eien

I tried out the L85A2 over at TAC-10. It's fun to shoot and personally i'm a bullpup guy. I would get the L85A2 just to be unique from everyone else but then it depends if you like using bullpup guns... don't just go over for the looks.. try out the guns too see which one is more comfortable.
Eien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 18:31   #19
Kos-Mos

G36C

But get a Star/ARES one if you can.

Build quality is far better than any other.
And you get a quick swap spring guide like on the L85.

But the most important thing ever: Go meet people that have one and try it. More than just 5 minutes. Game with it at least once.

Then you will be able to make a choice.
You can have the most reliable, best looking rifle in the world, but if you don't like the feel/shape of the rifle, you won't use it.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 18:35   #20
heyds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eien View Post
I tried out the L85A2 over at TAC-10. It's fun to shoot and personally i'm a bullpup guy. I would get the L85A2 just to be unique from everyone else but then it depends if you like using bullpup guns... don't just go over for the looks.. try out the guns too see which one is more comfortable.
Yea I know lol, performance Is much more important than looks, but its not like they don't matter. At least to me haha.

Old March 20th, 2010, 18:39   #21
theguy

If you going for the G36 route, Try to get your hands on a CA.

You might have to pay a little more up front then the cansoft brands, but their bodies are awesome,

Plus, internals can be imported without hassle, bodies can't, if you decide you don't like the body on your SRC or KWA, your kinda stuck with it. CA bodies are a really nice nylon fiber, unlike most other brands.

L85s are cool, really unique, and ISC is pretty easily available through Mach1. Theres a really extensive review of the internals of the ICS here somewhere, I'll see if i can dig it up, but it goes through each mechbox components and confirms what works with what (for replacement/upgrade parts)

A few other brands make L85s, but I have no experience with them. I would probably just stick with ISC.

EDIT:

heres that review of the ISC, check it out,

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...hlight=ICS+L85

Chinese proverb

Last edited by theguy; March 20th, 2010 at 18:41..
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 19:04   #22
The Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
If you going for the G36 route, Try to get your hands on a CA.
Having experience with both the ARES and CA G36s, I'm going to have to say the new ARES G36s with their one-piece body are definitely better than the CA.
Old March 20th, 2010, 23:31   #23
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Having experience with both the ARES and CA G36s, I'm going to have to say the new ARES G36s with their one-piece body are definitely better than the CA.
is the Gen 1 Differ from Gen 2? (blow back vs non-blowback)
Old March 20th, 2010, 23:38   #24
Kos-Mos

G36s don't have blowback (yet).

ICS L85 have some light bolt that rock back and forth... makes more noise than actual blowback... similar to AK blowback kits (not GBB).

The newer Ares G36s (compared to the Star) has a better body (the first gen was already a lot better than anything, even CA. People where finding it to be too greenish vs the pitch black of CA... the real HK plastic is that color), and better internals. The Star one (1st gen) had 6mm hybrid bearing/bushing (bearing only on bevel) and some decent parts. The Ares (2nd gen) has on top of that a microswitch instead of the regular trigger setup and better quality internals. Not that the Star ones where bad.

I had the chance to handle all 3 CA, Star and Ares. I can tell you, the Ares is the best available in G36s. Ever.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 00:00   #25
kalnaren

I have both a CA G36 and an ICS L85A2. The only L85s that have blowback are G&G and Army Armament ones, and neither of those are worth owning IMO. I had an AA one and it was a fucking nightmare. Everything I've heard about the G&G L85A1 is terrible, I've heard the A2 is improved. I wouldn't trust the blowback though.

As a first gun I would go with a G36. Deep has pretty much already hit the highpoints. I'd also go with a CA or a STAR/ARES, again for reasons already mentioned. The L85, while an awesome gun, (and especially the ICS one) is FAR from standard. It has a proprietary mechbox and proprietary trigger mechanism, and is harder to find parts for. IMO not a good gun to be learning about AEG's with.

The G36 is an excellent reliable gun. Very easy to dissasemble and perfom maintenance on.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 00:09   #26
The Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by kullwarrior View Post
is the Gen 1 Differ from Gen 2? (blow back vs non-blowback)
Gen 1 ARES G36 is more or less the same as the original STAR G36s, except that gen 1 ARES G36 is suppose to have a better integrated scope than the STAR G36s and better QC.

Gen 2 ARES differs from gen 1 in the following ways:
- Permission to use the HK marking and G36 trade dress (a big deal, HK and its friend Umarex have a team of lawyers and they're not afraid to use them)
- One-piece upper receiver
- One-piece outer barrel (with barrel lock closer to the real G36)
- More realistic gas block design
- New shoulder stock (with lock closer to the real G36)
- New magazine (50rd locap with fake bullets)
- Locking bolt cover
- Electric blowback system (for the haters, it can be disabled)
- Couple other little things

Kos-Mos: STAR had the microswitch design from the beginning, as did gen 1 ARES.
Old March 21st, 2010, 00:10   #27
T-Hell

Never had a G36 so cant comment there but have an ICS L85A2

The good

Adjustable FPS via a pin in the back.. the spring guide has 3 positions on it so you can CQB and Outdoor field the gun.

Nice to hold Like the bullpup design (have an L85 and Tavor) just like that design.

Easy to take apart.

Trigger system is unique and not as affected by the arcing like other triggers.

The Bad

Damn hard to get parts (Mach1 is the only place) Mechbox is about 200 for example

Unique inner barrel (Can't just load up a Promethisus or Systema Tight bore.
in fact forget about changing the inner barrel unless you like machining an inner barrel

shape takes some getting used to

Can't mount a torch there is no rail

All in all the ICS version of this gun is fantastic provided you know it's shortcomings and dont plan to do any major upgrades....

Rhino Living

http://www.nordicbattlegroup.ca
T-Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 00:25   #28
heyds

Well I think I'm leaning towards the G36C now, thanks guys. Not as bad a dent in my wallet I will definatly try to look out for an Ares. Thanks for everyones input, and the more it comes, the better.

Thanks and Regards,
heyds

Old March 21st, 2010, 12:31   #29
heyds

One more quick question...

Between Star and Ares, which, in your opinion, is better?
Thanks Again

Regards,
Heyds

Old March 21st, 2010, 12:37   #30
The Saint

AFAIK, STAR no longer produces airsoft guns. All STAR stock still in circulation are old stocks from before ARES acquired STAR's gun manufacturing assets. There is little chance and even less reason to buy a STAR gun at this point.

Gen 1 ARES G36s have been discontinued in preparation for gen 2. They are out of stock in most places.

If you're looking for a gen 2 ARES G36, they're not available yet. Closer to the summer is when they will hit the market.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion