Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Need advices for buying my first gun.

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:41   #31
coach
aka coachster

You can also install a scope directly on the carry handle provided it has the right mount.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:49   #32
Gulag

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
You can also install a scope directly on the carry handle provided it has the right mount.
Yep, but, personally, I think it's very uncomfortable.

Just goes to show, people with brain damage are the real heroes.
Gulag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 13:43   #33
Amberclad

Alright i should go for something not on the carry handle
Amberclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 13:59   #34
coach
aka coachster

Why? Have you already tried it and found it uncomfortable as well?

IMO, it's not uncomfortable at all. I'm not even sure why it'd be uncomfortable.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 14:01   #35
Amberclad

Just that I don't really think im gonna get a M4 with the carry handle. I may be wrong but with a RIS system its more easy to mod ?
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:32   #36
ImpactBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberclad View Post
Just that I don't really think im gonna get a M4 with the carry handle. I may be wrong but with a RIS system its more easy to mod ?
I just picked up a VFC HK416 as my first gun, I did a lot of research and I did want an M4 platform. RIS gives you more options to throw on optics, accessories, etc. I like the way the 416 has a full rail front to back so allows me to position my red dot without the gap from the D ring. I made the decision to go full metal based on the durability factor, I know polymers and plastics have gotten much stronger that what they used to be but I have that peace of mind that my 416 can take a bit more abuse when I go to use it.

Whether you get a carry handle or not it's up to you, you gotta' figure out what sort of style you want to go for, I've got bare bones accessories on my 416, a hand me down Magpul AFG2 grip and an NcStar 1x40 red dot. For what it is, it's versatile, I can use it CQB or outdoors, although I still have yet to take it to a game so I'll find out how well it does in a few weekends.
ImpactBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:41   #37
Amberclad

Well talking of Jing Gong i found that http://torontoairsoft.com/product.php?id_product=1650 do you guys think its a good one , its only compatible with SR25 Mags right ? I know A&K does one too i just need to find the best out of the 2 , I think i prefer outside play but if I can go inside il go too.

Last edited by Amberclad; March 15th, 2012 at 15:53..
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:48   #38
HackD

I've got both an M4A1 (ICS) and an MP5 (TM).

Both have their uses, in the right environment. Both are interchangeable within those environments.

The M4A1 is my primary outdoors field weapon. I've got it set up so that i can have an aimpoint on it for CQB'ish/short range engagements (with handle removed), and a 4x32 Telescopic scope on either the removable handle via a dovetail mount, or mounted directly on the rail, with the handle removed. I can throw a tactical flashlight (surefire clone) on it for night events, or a Harris bipod, if i feel like camping in the weeds with the telescopic scope. In short, it's my do it all, swiss army knife of rifles for airsoft.

The MP5 comes into play, when i'm tired of toting the M4A1 around. I'm currently playing airsoft for an unusual reason. Physiotherapy, post double hip replacement. After a while the M4A1 can get on the heavy/unwieldy side if i am getting tired... and the MP5 can be quickly switched to for a package that is much more compact, and lighter by a good margin - allowing me to stay in play for a little while longer. It's got pretty close to the same range as the M4A1.. i'm not really at a disadvantage with it, in terms of engagement effectiveness at all. I've also equipped it with an aimpoint sight, and I have also got a flashlight for it (integrated into the forestock of the Navy version MP5A4) so i'm not at a disadvantage at night-time with it either.

The advantage of having two - beyond the advantage that each may possess over the other in any given situation, is that you have a back-up rifle close at hand, should one go down for whatever reason. Both are equally as comfortable in my hands.

So in short, i ain't got an answer for you as to which is the better rifle to pick.. I like 'em both, pretty much equally.

Last edited by HackD; March 15th, 2012 at 15:53..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 15:56   #39
Amberclad

With an M4 CQB maybe I can achieve both , outdoor plays and inside?

As for the SR25 i saw that mags were not compatible with M16 ones and its a designated marksman weapon (wich can be interesting) and the barrel is unscrewable(A&K).

M.D
Old March 15th, 2012, 16:07   #40
HackD

Quote:
With an M4 CQB maybe I can achieve both , outdoor plays and inside?

As for the SR25 i saw that mags were not compatible with M16 ones and its a designated marksman weapon (wich can be interesting) and the barrel is unscrewable(A&K).

M.D
It's advisable for new entrants into airsoft to stay away from DMR's/Sniper rifles as a first weapon - the role that they can play is somewhat limited in a given game, and require patience.. they are more of a stand-off weapon. It's better to get something a little more well-rounded in capability when starting off in the sport, and entertain getting one of the sniper rifles/DMR's as a secondary weapon later, should you so choose to do so.

My M4A1 is a 14.5" version, as are most. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for indoor events, if needed.
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 16:14   #41
Amberclad

Yeah thats what im thinking , i need to get used to airsoft before go '' marksman '' . So far my choice is a Classic Army M15A4 CQB X-series , im thinking to add a ACOG scope on it. http://www.revolutionairsoft.com/Cla...ies_p_145.html , what kind of battery would be needed for that?

M.D

Last edited by Amberclad; March 15th, 2012 at 16:17..
Old March 15th, 2012, 17:13   #42
Kozzie
a.k.a. Greedy

Quote:
Almost all M4's have removable carry handles, look for the large round screws on the side. This will give you plenty of rail to mount any optic you want. A rail system can be useful but most people just use them to mount a flashlight and a vertical grip that they don't use anyways. It's a lot of weight when you can simply mount a couple of small rail sections to the handguard to achieve the same effect.

Though rail systems are cool, I want one

* edit: Rail systems can be bought and added after the fact. Sometimes it's better to buy a base M4A1 and add the components you want. It will allow you to customize every part to your desires. May also be cheaper depending what you want. Unless you can find one that is very close to or exactly what you want.

Non removable

Removable

Quote:
Yeah thats what im thinking , i need to get used to airsoft before go '' marksman '' . So far my choice is a Classic Army M15A4 CQB X-series , im thinking to add a ACOG scope on it. what kind of battery would be needed for that?

M.D
An ACOG scope is generally magnified. I would strongly recommend against it for a CQB weapon, unless you like the look and get one that is simply a red dot, not magnafied. Otherwise I would recommend an aimpoint or an eotec.

If you want a gun that will be good for outdoors and indoors you should get one with a 14.5" (M4A1 length) barrel not a CQB length. An upgraded CQB length gun can be made to shoot well for outdoor but all things being equal the longer barrel will keep you from being outranged.

That gun takes it's battery in the stock. A crane stock battery.

Last edited by Kozzie; March 15th, 2012 at 17:43..
Kozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 17:58   #43
LongStone

I picked up an ICS M4 last year have since upgraded to metal receiver (upper and lower) and RIS. it is a little tight for CQB
there are a few minor compatibility issues but overall the gun is easy to work on with the separate upper and lower mech box. if you switch between indoor and outdoor a lot you can have 2 upper mech boxes (takes about 1min to switch), you can also easily hopup/barrel swap to use a tight bore for out doors

the stock gears are decent, I would replace the piston (poly-carb but full metal slice), nozzle with an o-ring, (consider the piston head and cylinder head)
if you can afford it go metal up front, it's more expensive to do it later, ICS at least uses better parts for metal (primarily upper gear box) than they do for "dark tint"
LongStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 18:03   #44
kalnaren

Here's a novel idea:

Go to a game, handle some guns, see what you like. Get AV'd at the same time.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 21:08   #45
Amberclad

Yeah already got contacted for my AV just need to set up a meeting. for the guns M4 seems to be the perfect fit for me , I know I would be pleased with a AK model . I just need to find a good model but a good brand. Being AVed will help a lot.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank