Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Message to the community: "about respect"

:

General

Old October 29th, 2005, 00:23   #1
kymoz

Send a message via MSN to kymoz
Message to the community: "about respect"

In the last few weeks, it occurred to me that the respect took a serious drop on this board. We witnessed people swearing, swearing at others, calling each other “fu**tard”, “fu**head”, “assholes”, etc, FOR ABSOLUTELY NO VALUABLE REASON.
I could quote a lot of posts here, but my goal is not to point out some individuals as “disrespectful ASC users”. Just let me remind you that we stand here as a community of people sharing a common interest: Airsoft. You have to understand that a community is composed of DIFFERENT individuals having DIFFERENT opinions. So if you found that somebody made a bad joke, you don’t have to call him an asshole for doing so. If you really feel in your heart that telling the guy’s joke lacked of humour will bring some positive to the thread, go on. But do it politely.
The Off-Topic section is particularly subject to those useless flames. If you aren’t interested by a thread’s subject, DON’T READ IT. Nobody cares that you don’t care. Don’t burst in and say how much the guy who started the thread is “gay”, or idiot, or girlish or whatever you think he is. The majority of the ASC members are mature enough to tell by themselves if the thread is worth to be read. You don’t care? FINE, don’t lose any more time by posting pointless hate stuff. You still want to say it? Again, do it politely.
Now, I have to say, I don’t really mind the swearing. It just diminishes the credibility of the “swearer”. If somebody wants to impair its own image, I have no problem with that. But when the swearing is directed to another ASC member, this is totally unacceptable. I’d like to quote HonestJohn (in the rules of this Forum).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestJohn
3. Avoid personal attacks.
Sadly, this rule isn’t really applied. And we can’t blame the Moderators for that. I guess that they are quite busy. Every member here has the duty (this sounds like Bush’s speech) to let know the disrespectful members that we don’t agree with their behaviour. I shut up too many times on this matter. I posted my opinion about respect two times and it sort of closed the debate.

For the newbies issue: I know these days are filled with noob questions, non-reading posting newbies. Yes, this is irritating. But it doesn’t excuses in any way the disrespect some people shown here. I know some newbies insisted too much, haven’t listened after two pages of posts telling them to read the FAQs. In those cases, the Moderators are there to use the “ban button”. I don’t know if it’s possible to ban for a week, just to give the time to the guy to read and stop posting and wasting our time. But in most cases, the simple “read the FAQs please” is sufficient. Maybe a good solution would be to send an automatically generated PM to the newly registered member that would point him to the FAQs and would tell him that if he posts a question already answered, he’d get banned for a certain amount of time, just to give him the time to read a bit.
I’m just throwing ideas here. But until we find something, it would be nice from all of us if we could make some effort to respect each other. Sometimes you’ve had a bad day and the “flame switch" is easier to turn on, but think a bit: others didn’t ask to suffer from your bad day. BREATHE.

I know the “respect each other” speech is not very popular, as some people will find this kiddy I guess. But I sincerely hope that I am not the only one thinking that way.
Have any thoughts about this? Feel free to post what you think. Any other “newbie solution” would be nice, since I have little knowledge about Forum Administration, if we could find something intelligent to do about that, it would be great.

Thanks a lot for having read this. Wish it will change some things.
Kymoz
kymoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 00:36   #2
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

Swedish women are hot.
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 00:46   #3
pokey

Send a message via MSN to pokey
"3. Avoid personal attacks "

Although it is a good "guideline", It doesent state they arent alloud, just to avoid them.
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 00:58   #4
Dozer_01

This is similar to a huge shit in a small toilet. This shit just aint gonna budge. No matter how hard you pump, the shit will only liquify. When you pull out the plunger, the shit will go all over.
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:07   #5
Kedirkin

You all suck at the internet.

KD
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:11   #6
Soulja

Soulja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:20   #7
ssp21

i do agree with you that there are more members behaving like little kids and acting out. there really is no way to stop these kind of members, unless the moderators step in. one thing i really hate to see is a new airsoft player, who may not be familiar with using forums post a quote, "newbie" question and get called nasty names and made fun of. while i am not a very experienced player, i feel the when you slam a new player interested in the game for asking questions, you are only encouraging a lack of growth of our sport. in the interior of BC, we need new players to help this sport grow and become publicaly accepted. i am trying to start a kamloops club and its an uphill battle and when i see people flaming newbie players i am not impressed. yes, it is annoying when a newbie doesnt read the FAQ and user guides, but its up to all of us to try to help them out and get them the info they need. on the main topic, it is very poor form to spew out a stream of curse words and to be disrespectful to other member, that kind of stuff makes us all look bad.
ssp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:45   #8
Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer_01
This is similar to a huge shit in a small toilet. This shit just aint gonna budge. No matter how hard you pump, the shit will only liquify. When you pull out the plunger, the shit will go all over.
Aw dood I'm eating here when I read that!! :smack:

And on yeah, be nice to each other everyone!!

Mississauga & Brampton Regional Representative. Need to get verified? Send me a PM
Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:19   #9
GMTII
WW2 Airsofter

I really dont get why, if you ask a newb question on asc, you will get flamed. But when you go to our local fourms such as joc and the tac ops fourms, and ask the exact same question, you will get a polite reply. Here's an example from today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk
Hi all,

New to airsoft in calgary here, Looking for some advice on how to get started, where to buy a gun , what gun to buy...

Not sure standards in the area, do i need a permit for a gun? I don't want to start with a beginner gun I think it ruins the first experience so im willing to shell for a good gun what do you guys suggest? also i have a pellet gun i got from canadian tire can i use the bbs in that? it's c02
Now if you ask me, this thread would be locked and trashed (well at least on asc) now take a look and see what people said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyGunner
www.007airsoft.com
www.rangersairsoft.com
are some nice local calgary places. um to answer the pellet gun. no. you have to use an airsoft gun lol, because the pellet gun shoots over our club fps limit.
as for starter guns. lots of people have m4's or mp5's both guns are awsome i would sugest the m4 because it is most versitile. or get a shotgun cause they are tight too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone
Welcome to the club! always nice to see new faces. Tiny's right, co2 usually shoots to hard for our clubs limit. But also all of our "airsoft" guns that you will find that those sites have a hop up system which gives the bb backspin making it really accurate... soft air and what not, does not have one. So I'd ditch that thing. You can rent guns to if you want to try one out before you buy. not a bad way of doing things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
As far as guns go they are all created equel. Its really a matter of what turns your crank. You can go with the Civic of guns and get an "M" or a MP5 series gun or you can go odd ball like me and get a bullpop (not sure how to spell that). Those are the Augs and others with the magazine behind the triger, you usualy get alot longer barel and a smaller body gun, i love my Aug more than anyother gun out there. Shotys are prity nice too, most shoot 3 bbs in a triangle formation and are hella arurate but have a slower rated of fire.

As you can see your choices are really open
Have fun and hope to see you soon in my sights
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGUE
for a beginner i would either go G36c, m4a1 or mp5. They are all basically same m4 can get barrel wobble and broken tabs but nice range and accuracy indoor and out and tons of accessories, mp5 is nice but plasticy if its TM its really light and sometimes double feed and what not, also low range and accuracy for out doors. The G36c is great for out door and in and a solid design with a nice weight, not to long for indoor but also just as great for outdoor also lots of mods for the gun you just gotta get used to the futuristic look of the newer Hechler and Koch guns.
If everyone made replys like that/or didnt reply at all we wouldent have a problem. Now I know i'v said some things to people before myself that might have not been the nicest things, so I'v decided If I dont have something nice to say, I wont say it.
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:32   #10
FieroGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssp21
in the interior of BC, we need new players to help this sport grow and become publicaly accepted.
That will never happen. There is nothing acceptable to the general public about this sport. We also have a small player base on the island. The best thing to do is just let it grow the same way it always has.
FieroGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:05   #11
Dirty Deeds

Send a message via MSN to Dirty Deeds Send a message via Yahoo to Dirty Deeds
FUCK YOU, YOU FUCKIN' FUCKER!!!

Seriously, you have some valid points, and newbs aren't the only ones who get shit on for the smallest of things.

Group Hug.......

Those that wear the "Tin Foil Hat" stand on guard for thee. All others stand on guard for themselves.

Dirty Deeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:32   #12
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Rite of Passage

As far as the noob thing goes...it's just a matter of what annoys you..

I find it annoying to come to a forum and start asking questions without doing SOME research. It IS a bit disrespectful in it's own right. I am still pretty new to this sport and I don't think I was EVER flamed. I read three posts of people getting nailed for not reading the faqs, so I read the faq.

I found almost everything I needed. And I was so terrified (LOL) of getting flamed, I researched what I didn't find on ASC elsewhere and did pretty well.

All remaining questions were answered, you guessed it...at a game directly from players. ( If you are too lazy to go to a game and see for yourself, how motivated are you to contribute to the sport? )

In general, about 80% of the new people on this board who do this are, in my opinion, not suited to the sport, so from that perspective, flaming is kind of a filtering process. But I agree that sometimes it gets taken too far. (I have taken it too far once or twice myself...it really depends on what mood I am in when I am online, but, mea culpa)

On the other hand, if it pisses you off that much, just ignore it....Greylocks is always around to take care of them.. :-)
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:44   #13
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
Look a newb thinks this ohh a forum...its there to help me and I can ask repetitive questions that people asked before me and I can read in the FAQ but thats too damn difficult to do beacuse I can't read the FAQ but I can use my zero knowledge to advise other noobs about guns and such...I've seen this happen in this board and the ASF(u.s.) board. However we have to keep in mind that some people that are new could be long time airsoft players but just found this site.
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 11:30   #14
cratedriver

:kill:
cratedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 14:07   #15
SF

Too many self elected wannabe mods & admins here. They think they know it all & it is their jobs to be rude & set standard for newbie & others on this board. My question is: who appoints them in the first place?

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General