Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

What to pack for a 18hr milsim???

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 15th, 2013, 18:47   #1
mike_sinyard
derp!

What to pack for a 18hr milsim???

I dont plan on going to any 18-24hr milsims for a little while. not until ive got a full uniform. Im just curious what kind of gear you would pack? i have read the newbie guide and it does say what to pack for a game, but im talkin 18 hours here.

So obv you need your:
-gun
battery - How many?? are there breaks in an milsim? charging stations? im going to assume no, so 3-5 batteries or what?
-eye pro
gloves

-bbs- 3-4 bags???
mags. Now ive got 3 mid caps but im gunna say you need alot. atleast 6-10

vest, dump pouch,
Glowsticks?? how many?
kill rags?? just a red bandana, cloth or old tshirt
bdus
good boots
a helmet??? everyone in the vids ive seen for.. lets say frmsc nightfall.. are wearing nice helmets and matching uniforms.
comms-- seems everyone is going to need a good radio since alot of teamwork, movement and coordination is over the radio.
some form of water bottle or camel back.. im assuming for an 18 hour your going to need a good camelback

food is another subject.. is there a lunch in the middle of these sims?? or are we going to need a pack to carry small lunches and snacks to keep our juices flowing throughout the day?
Old February 15th, 2013, 19:03   #2
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

wow 3-4 bags of bbs, are u running a saw?
yes as many mags you have the beter then you wont have to reload the mags you have used.
youll need food, at least 1 mre per day two is beter, mre heater or propane burner and a pot to heat the mre's and make coffee or tea,
a tent to sleep in and store gear in, extra socks, underwear, tooth brush, a garbage bag or two, lots of water, bug spray if the bugs bug you lol.
if yer boots arent either fast drying(like jungle boots) or goretex then extra boots.
if its a 24 hr game and youlo camp the night befor and after i suggest a cooler witu a nice steak to eat the night befor and bacon and eggs for the next day (i also suggest bringin an extra three or four pounds of bacon yer teammates will love you for it) and lots of instant coffee tea and sugar and whitener, (for you and to offer teammates) and any lil snacks like granola bars or power bars or whatever you may like to munch on (tho i personally bring the steak and bacon and eggs and then just use what comes in the mre's for the rest, they always have a snack and either bread or a "craker" type thing an PB and/or Jam so there is enough snacks to munch on
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoorn View Post
Thanks Hectic,
While your posts are sometimes a difficult read, you sure are helpfull
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Hectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 19:08   #3
mike_sinyard
derp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
yes as many mags you have the beter then you wont have to reload the mags you have used.
youll need food, at least 1 mre per day two is beter, mre heater or propane burner and a pot to heat the mre's and make coffee or tea,
a tent to sleep in and store gear in, extra socks, underwear, tooth brush, a garbage bag or two, lots of water, bug spray if the bugs bug you lol.
if yer boots arent either fast drying(like jungle boots) or goretex then extra boots.
if its a 24 hr game and youlo camp the night befor and after i suggest a cooler witu a nice steak to eat the night befor and bacon and eggs for the next day (i also suggest bringin an extra three or four pounds of bacon yer teammates will love you for it) and lots of instant coffee tea and sugar and whitener, (for you and to offer teammates) and any lil snacks like granola bars or power bars or whatever you may like to munch on (tho i personally bring the steak and bacon and eggs and then just use what comes in the mre's for the rest, they always have a snack and either bread or a "craker" type thing an PB and/or Jam so there is enough snacks to munch on
THANKS great info.. see didnt think about all that.. Sorry about the bb question lol. im just running an m4 I have no idea how much ammo your gunna go through in 18 hours.
but as for food.. nice info.. I think two mre's would be more appropriate since im used to eating every 2 hours its gunna be a change out there only eating 2-3 times in 18 hours.. but again its only once in awhile.

just curious because in the vids i seen for frmsc nightfall 1 only a few individuals had packs on... so whats up with that??

Are there break times where everyone eats or are some peole starving themselves??
Old February 15th, 2013, 19:10   #4
Hectic
Oh we do hate you, just never felt like wasting the time to give you a user title :P

and yes a radio.
you dont need a helmet, ive never used one in 6yrs just extra crap to cary, if yer accident prone ie trip n fall often maybe youd want one, matchin camo is good but you dont always need it for milsims depending on the rules for the game, they may need "contractors" or "terrorists" im actually gonna build a terrorist loadout especially now that i found Salwar Kameez in woodland camo
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old February 15th, 2013, 19:27   #5
Hectic

some folks just munch on the run, most sims you wont gunning the whole 18 or 24 hours, the command will assign you to do stuff like patroll or go hear find this and so on, there will ne times you are back at base camp you can take 15-30 min to grab some food. Than of course youll have some time to sleep and such you can eat then, the way mre's are you can really just stoo on yer patroll and load one into a heater pac throw it back into yer bag or dump pouch and then grab it when its heated and eat it up with the included spoon just dont litter yer crap around pac it back up.

as for how many to eat, there is enough calories in one MRE to feed you for a day, tho you wont really feeo full youll have energy. Ill give you an example of one that i have handy.
pork saussage patty x2(like at mcdonalds)
and a hashbrown type thing
it also has a "craker" thing its baisicly like a dry bread
has jam
peanut butter
hot/cold chocolate drink
two lime "sport drinks"
ketchup
salt
peppert
two instant coffee
sugar
whitener
small pack of oreos 4 cookies
Some gum (chiclet style x2)
a hard candy (red n white mint thing)
and a few lil other bits i missed im sure.

they pac alot of crap in a lil box/bag.
just be sure you ask around to find out what ones to buy some of em are good for nothin but the bread coffee snack n such
the entree itself is horrible a good examle would be the eggs, if you want breakfast get oatmeal lol.
good dinner is salsbury steak
ane chicken fajitas spaghettie n meatballs is doable,
more dinnes are good compared to breakfast
and the ones seald in a clear vacumme bag are the "cavillian" ones lotta those one are better then the older "issue" ones in the brown "paper bag" type wrap but the newish like 2008-2012 menu are much beter then the pre 2008 menu.
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old February 15th, 2013, 19:41   #6
Hectic

cpl of flashlights (one for on yer weapon is hand) extra batteries for flashlights and for yer gun, antifog forbyer goggles(even an extra pair of goggles for when/if you wanna clean yer main ones)
baisicly think your camping, then make the gear as light a possible but still have evrthing youll need incase of rain or if you stumble into aswamp or pond. I almost always wear goretex boots and pants so i can walk in te water and stay dry, i dont worry much in summer but spring n fall u can get cold an takea long time to dry. So extra pants, sock boots, or being waterproof is a must
Quote:
Thanks Hectic,
Lvl. 3 certified sniper
FinchFieldAirsoft
Old February 15th, 2013, 23:09   #7
Reaper87

Water and electrolytes of some sort. Gatorade is not amazing but its better than nothing. There are also electrolyte tablets out there that you can mix with your water.

What your packing also depends on the enviroment. If your in the woods an extra set of everything helps because if it rains your going to get muddy.

Urban you wont need two sets of boots. even if it rains.

As for batteries it depends on how much you shoot. I've had my battery last for a 24 hour game with no problems. The more you shoot the more the battery drains.

Eye pro you ll want to break in before hand you need a comfortable pair so your not distracted. You might also have to sleep with them on depending on the situation.

A vest helps but is not needed but recommended. You can easily carry all your mags on a belt. But if you have or want to carry more gear it is advisable to bring a vest. A camelpak is also helpful.

killrags are greeat for avoiding getting shot after you ve been hit. Same for a red glowstick at night time. Other glow sticks can be useful such as by throwing one to mark where an enemy is.

A matching uniform is usually required to be part of a mil sim it is a mil sim after all. Helmets are up to you. I wear a baseball cap usually. But if you want extra protection get a helmet.

Food bring a few things that are quick and easy to make. Cans of soup, granola bars , ect.
Reaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 23:25   #8
Forever_kaos

Spare boot laces,
Sewing kit,
First aid kit with crazy glue (good for patching up blisters quick and other minor cuts)
Tweezers (Thorns, small crap getting stuck in you etc..)

Look into Seal Skin socks, amazing water proof puppies that are truly amazing. Ebay is good for finding these for a good price.

Stick shit you want to keep dry, in a ziplock bag or two.

I always have trail mix in my pocket, munch on it when I can. Always keep small bits of nutrients flowing into your body, instead of one giant down poor.

It's better to have it, not need it then to need it not have it. Don't over-pack too much, but it's better to do that than under pack!

Other than that, pretty much as said above.

Last edited by Forever_kaos; February 15th, 2013 at 23:29..
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2013, 23:37   #9
horto

Following rough checklist for civil hornet in march:

Food:
- 3L water in a camelbak + additional 3-10L, and/or a few gatorade
- small camp stove/jetboil with mountain house meals - or whatever you want to eat for dinner
- food/snacks you can stuff in mag pouches for during the day e.g. cliff bars and jerky

Shelter:
- a tent (for you)
- a tarp (for gear or shade) + pegs/cordage
- warm sleeping bag
- thermarest/foam pad
- folding camp chair
- changes of clothes/socks/boots
- change of gloves!
- extra fleece
- extra super warm jacket
- goretex/rain gear
- sunscreen

Gear:
- Primary blaster
- Optional backup blaster for when the primary shits the bed (murphey's law of airsoft)
- 1-2 bags bb's
- Weaponlight
- small flashlight or helmet light with red filter
- red LED glowstick from crappy tire/mark's
- backup goggles/shooting glasses
- mesh face mask if you like your teeth
- first aid kit

Last edited by horto; February 16th, 2013 at 00:25..
horto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 00:32   #10
mike_sinyard
derp!

Wow that's alot of stuff. You guys have covered most of it. Just a few more questions
1. Do we have a base camp usually where we can leave our spare gear ie. backup gun. Camp stove. Tent. Food. Would clear up alot of things if the answer is yes
2. 3-10 liters of extra water??? How do u carry 10 liters of water unless the answer to question 1 is yes.
3. Sleeping bags?? For an 18 hour sim when are you going to sleep? Or why really. I mean you start at what? 8-10am and finish around 2-4am. Just stay awake. Battle. Play. Run hard. If it was like 30-40 hours i could see why
Old February 16th, 2013, 00:37   #11
horto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sinyard View Post
Wow that's alot of stuff. You guys have covered most of it. Just a few more questions
1. Do we have a base camp usually where we can leave our spare gear ie. backup gun. Camp stove. Tent. Food. Would clear up alot of things if the answer is yes
2. 3-10 liters of extra water??? How do u carry 10 liters of water unless the answer to question 1 is yes.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sinyard View Post
3. Sleeping bags?? For an 18 hour sim when are you going to sleep? Or why really. I mean you start at what? 8-10am and finish around 2-4am. Just stay awake. Battle. Play. Run hard. If it was like 30-40 hours i could see why
Milsims are more like start at noon and finish at 8am, then try to drive home without killing yourself. Sleep is necessary. (At least, the older you get it is....)

Last edited by horto; February 16th, 2013 at 00:41..
horto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 00:44   #12
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

It's not your gun that will give out in a long game it's you.

you need Water, Food, environmental protection, Ammunition, Batteries, Gun and an spare gun.
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 00:59   #13
mike_sinyard
derp!

Wow starts later than i thought. Thats a little different then

And if i dont have a spare gun? Am i SOL And best not to show up to a Milsim until i have one?
Old February 16th, 2013, 01:04   #14
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
It's not your gun that will give out in a long game it's you.

you need Water, Food, environmental protection, Ammunition, Batteries, Gun and an spare gun.
^
This

Don't over electrolyte yourself though. Gatorade and related is good during a break, or after; but you should be drinking water constantly throughout. Food is essential; start by having a good meal before hand, and only carry protein/energy based foods on your person. Remember that food is extra weight, so simple is good; but it never hurts to have a sandwich or something waiting back in your car.

- Extra socks and boots (dry footwear will change your life)
- Brimmed hat (keep sun and rain off your head, boonies work best)
- rain poncho ($5.00 at Canadian tire)
- small flash light (terrain can be dangerous in the dark)
- dead light (small red flashing light so no one shoots you in the dark)
- ranger blanket or barrier (sleeping on the ground can cause dehydration and hypothermia even during summer)
- radio with a spare battery (top notch for safety not just for gameplay)
- 2 - 3 full sized gun batteries (got to last the whole time)
- 2 bags of BBs (you won't see 18 hours of straight action, but have another bag in your car in case of spillage, lending, etc)
- 3 liter water bladder (you will need to refill a bunch, so have a lot in your car ...lots)
- extra eyewear (in case of serious fogging, etc)
- first aid kit (in your car should be fine)
- a warm layer (your body will release it's heat during dusk, and sweat will transition the cool air to your skin quicker)
- food plan (light weight, easy to eat, easy to carry, healthy, lots of energy)
- aerial map or compass (don't get lost, and always use the buddy system)
Old February 16th, 2013, 01:56   #15
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectic View Post
lightweight!
with my 249 I carry an extra 2500 round box plus 2 bags
or 4 bags without the extra box.
I like to have at least 9,000 rounds on me at all times lol
Plus an extra 4-6 bags in my ruck
I always overdo the ammo part though, usually have 4 bags left when I finish with the 249, but rather have too much ammo than not enough!

I've gone to maaaaany a 24 hour milsim, here's what I pack;

Food:
- 3L camelbak, plus extra 3-5L in my ruck. You can either drink water, or straight gatorade G2. I never had any dehydration headaches drinking G2 and I'm REALLY active during long ops.
-Jerky. Need protein. Protein bars, oatmeal bars, 2x 5hr energy, and 3-4 IMPs. Remember to stick to light carbs and fructose. Stay away from glucose and sucrose.

Arms:
Primary rifle, backup gun
10bags of ammo for the SAW, 4 for the PTW
Batteries - You should probably have at least 4000mah worth to last you through the day
Mags - used to carry 16x68rnds, now just 8x120rnds (PTW thing), or 2 2500rnd box mags incase one fails, which they do fail when you run them off a 3s lipo.
propane if I have my GBB
great big knife. Cause you do need it sometimes.

Gear:
PLATE CARRIER. Because they put foam where the kevlar should be, it keeps you WAY warmer than a flimsy cotton/mesh vest.
Flashlight
Red light for dead rag at night
Dead rag
Clear and red lens glasses
Night vision
softshell jacket - for cutting wind and 70% of rain (need some rain to cool you off)
shemagh
thermal shirt for warmth at night.....cause who has time to break out a sleeping bag?
at least 4 changes of wool socks
a compressed towel, cause you always need a towel
And of course a really awesome wouxun radio with high gain antenna
usually goretex socks if i know it'll be wet
....boonie hat

You don't need much for actual survival gear, it's not like survivor where you're out there for a whole week. I used to have a sterno cook stove and sleeping kit the first two 24 hr games i went to. The stove is useful if you don't have a thermal shirt. And I never ended up using the sleeping kit.

But the most important part.... BE IN GOOD PHYSICAL CONDITION
If you can't hack a 6hr op, no way you'll do 18-24. And it really does take a LOT out of you
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank