Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

A few questions on mp5

:

Newbie Tank

Old April 28th, 2009, 17:47   #1
Rubs

Send a message via MSN to Rubs
A few questions on mp5

I'm still debating on whether my frist AEG will be an mp5 or an m4, any insight, suggestions or comments would be greatly appriciated.

I'm looking at a few mp5s.

G&G GMP5 SD5 (H&K MP5 SD5)

From what I can see, its a solid stock. Does that mean the battery is in the stock?
Are you able to put a rail system on this gun? (big thing for me)
And are you able to get a solid metal top instead of the clear plastic?
How does the gun perform?

G&G GMP5 SD6 (H&K MP5 SD6)

I think the only difference between these two guns is that this one is a retractable stock, so there must be a PEQ on this weapon, I assume.

CAS Version: MP5 G5

Now, I've heard a lot of good things about G&G mp5's but I havn't heard too much about CAS versions. How is it in terms of performance?

I know this model has cheaper parts like outside barrels and what-not but does those stuff really make a performance/quality difference? Do they break easier?

If you had a choice between these 3, which would you chose?

Thanks again for the advice in advance, this will really help my decision between an mp5 and m4.
Rubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 17:59   #2
Crunchmeister

IN terms of quality, I'd look at the ones 007 are selling. But after owning an MP5 for a while now, I would definitely prefer something with a railed front end like the CAS version. SD models are too restrictive in terms of getting attachments, lights, etc.
Old April 28th, 2009, 17:59   #3
Moderate

Full stock would be my choice, large battery right out of the box.

Second gun, the battery is a mini and in the foregrip.

Don't know anything about the third gun.

EDIT: As Crunchmeister said, the SD models are very restrictive when it comes to attachments/accessories. I'd personally buy the MP5A4 if I had the chance to, I've owned a TM MP5A5, and I didn't like the stock was more a machine pistol than a proper gun. My roommate had an A4 and it was very nice with the full stock on it.

Last edited by Moderate; April 28th, 2009 at 18:02..
Moderate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 18:02   #4
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by moderatesniper View Post
Full stock would be my choice, large battery right out of the box.
Having run my MP5 both with a small battery in the grip and now a large battery in the new full stock, I can definitely back this up all the way. Full stock is the way to go IMO. Large battery ftw.
Old April 28th, 2009, 18:18   #5
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

I also own a Mp5 with a full stock. Trust me you want a full stock. You can also put a Ris on the mp5 sd just like I did. Not to expensive.
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 18:27   #6
gmds44

Send a message via MSN to gmds44
I own a G&G mp5 sd5 and,

I can tell you its a very good starting gun.
Yes, you may not be able to mount as much accesories, but still (it only comes with a low-profile mount, enough for a reddot)

And yes, the solid stock is very confortable. The silencer, however, doesnt really "silence", it's just a fairly quieter sound.
gmds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 18:38   #7
Rubs

Hmm... Good info, thanks guys. Really helping..
Old April 28th, 2009, 20:15   #8
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
M4 or MP5 is really just a matter of preference, the difference in barrel length is small, and parts and upgrades are easy to get for both, slightly easier for the M4 but only slightly.

I definitely agree with several of the above, full stock all the way. Large battery ftw. That said, if you're a small guy a full stock might not work for you.

As to mounting surfaces, you're probably going to want to pimp out your MP5 so yeah, a SD is probably not what you're after. As the quote goes: "If there's a tactical need for it, the mp5 has an accessory to do it, and the more you put on it, the better it looks."

Metal bodies can be acquired fairly easily, there's at least two in the classifieds right now. But they're not cheap (think at least $150), so if you're going to want a metal body then you might as well just get one of the brands that come with a metal body. I'm an M4 man myself so I can't really tell you which mp5 manufacturers make ones with metal bodies, though since I'm also a big CA fan I can tell you they do. G&P probably does as well and possibly ICS. If all you want to do is take care of the clear though, a can of flat black Krylon spray paint works just as well.

Of course acquiring either a metal body or any guns by the manufacturers I mentioned above would require you to get age verified.

Kuro_Neko
Kuro_Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 20:21   #9
Crunchmeister

Best MP5 metal body = Classic Army. No question in my mind...

And note that if you get a metal upper, you'll more than likely want a metal front end / cocking tube as well. Those are separate from the upper. However, you can import those yourself. I got a nice complete CA metal front end, including the internals, with a flashlight foregrip. It was about $90US...
Old April 28th, 2009, 20:26   #10
Rubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro_Neko View Post
M4 or MP5 is really just a matter of preference, the difference in barrel length is small, and parts and upgrades are easy to get for both, slightly easier for the M4 but only slightly.

I definitely agree with several of the above, full stock all the way. Large battery ftw. That said, if you're a small guy a full stock might not work for you.

As to mounting surfaces, you're probably going to want to pimp out your MP5 so yeah, a SD is probably not what you're after. As the quote goes: "If there's a tactical need for it, the mp5 has an accessory to do it, and the more you put on it, the better it looks."

Metal bodies can be acquired fairly easily, there's at least two in the classifieds right now. But they're not cheap (think at least $150), so if you're going to want a metal body then you might as well just get one of the brands that come with a metal body. I'm an M4 man myself so I can't really tell you which mp5 manufacturers make ones with metal bodies, though since I'm also a big CA fan I can tell you they do. G&P probably does as well and possibly ICS. If all you want to do is take care of the clear though, a can of flat black Krylon spray paint works just as well.

Of course acquiring either a metal body or any guns by the manufacturers I mentioned above would require you to get age verified.

Kuro_Neko
That gives me a lot to think about. Thanks for the great insight. A metal body wouldn't be hard to get, I just need to get age verified. But from all the responses here say to go with a solid stock. If I go down the mp5 route, I'll defently be getting a solid stock, and probably won't be getting an SD. As you said mentioned Kuro_Neko, an mp5 with full accessories does look bad ass.

I think I'm going to go down the G&G m4 route, I got a wicked deal on one. Came with a lot of items I desired on an AEG, silencer, red dot, metal body. Just need the flip magnifer and I'm all set. But my second AEG will definetly be an mp5. Love both guns, this one in perticular I couldn't pass up.

Last edited by Rubs; April 28th, 2009 at 20:33..
Old April 28th, 2009, 20:34   #11
Rubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Best MP5 metal body = Classic Army. No question in my mind...

And note that if you get a metal upper, you'll more than likely want a metal front end / cocking tube as well. Those are separate from the upper. However, you can import those yourself. I got a nice complete CA metal front end, including the internals, with a flashlight foregrip. It was about $90US...
Hmm.. not bad.
Old April 28th, 2009, 20:38   #12
The Saint

All else being equal, I'd recommend a M4 over a MP5.

M4s are IMO, more newbie friendly. First of all, almost all M4s have an adjustable stock, which allows for better adaptation of new player to new gun. Comparatively fewer MP5s have adjustable stock.

Second, M4s are easier to accessorize, because of the sheer availability in variety and quantity of grips, stocks, etc. This makes the M4 a little more "forgiving" as a first purchase, in the sense that if something isn't right ergonomically and/or functionally, it can probably be readily replaced.

Third, pouches for M4/16 magazines are more common with more varieties.

Of course, the ease of accessorizing sometime turns into a curse, when people just can't stop doing it...
Old April 28th, 2009, 20:43   #13
Kuro_Neko

Send a message via ICQ to Kuro_Neko Send a message via AIM to Kuro_Neko Send a message via MSN to Kuro_Neko Send a message via Yahoo to Kuro_Neko
If you decide on the M4 route, here's some more info. Since I'm a big Armalite fan I know more about them.

If you're willing to spend up to $300 you could get a JG. Yeah JG's are China clones but they're getting quite respectable nowadays. JG's M4 runs about $290. You could get one of the G&G cansoft (clear receiver) M4's for about $340. G&G is the cheapest of the midgrade guns. $400-$450 would get you an ICS which is a higher end midgrade gun. $450-$550 would get you a G&P, there's some debate on whether this is the highest of the midgrade guns or the lowest of the higrade guns. Either way they make nice guns.

If you can afford it highgrade guns such as Tokyo Marui or Classic Army are the way to go. They're going to run you $550-$700. Though if the M4/M16 style is what you want then I'd recommend staying away from stock TM's, the barrel wobble and creaking are pretty bad on the stock TM M4/M16's.

I did extensive research and settled on the Tactical Carbine version of the Classic Army M15A4 as my first gun. If an Armalite is what you're looking for then I think it's the best of all possible versions. You have the shortened (but still decent length) M4 carbine barrel, which makes you less likely to smack your barrel off something when turning quickly, combined with the full stock which houses a large battery. Small batteries don't have near the run time of a large battery, not to mention that the reinforced slip ring (the ring that keeps the fore-grip on) is really stong. While this is mostly a good thing and a big step up over CA's previous M15 versions, it makes changing small batteries in the field very difficult if not impossible.

CA's M15A4 series in general is a big step up over their previous versions and as far as stock armalites go they're probably the best. All metal where the real steel version is, the plastic parts where the real steal version is plastic are made of high quality enhanced nylon fiber rather then abs for great texture and feel. Classic Army has a deal with Armalite so you get all the proper markings. Plus that deal also goes to show the quality of the manufacture, Armalite wouldn't put their name on a shoddy product.

Internally the gearbox is reinforced metal and all the gears are metal as well. It fires hotter stock then Tokyo Marui's as well, firing at 300-320 fps where your average TM only fires 280-300 fps.

All in all this is a great starter gun if you can afford it. Because it's all metal you don't have to worry nearly as much about breaking it and you won't get any of the wobble or creaking that is infamous in stock TM M4/M16's. Unfortunately affording it is the biggest problem, they're not cheap. For reference I got my CA M15A4 from the classifieds, upgraded with a bunch of Systema internals to fire 390fps, for $600 shipped which was a great price.

One of the perks of going with an M16/M4 variant is that mags are dead easy to come by and dirt cheap. You can get Star brand mags for like $5 a mag or less, plastic yeah but sturdy none the less (Star is also the only brand that makes realcaps too). Metal mags will run you a fair bit more, $15 to $30 a mag. There's no real reason to go with metal over plastic for mags except looks/realism. Though of course if you're going to go hicap then you might as well get metal ones. As to Brands, TM and CA make good mags. I've heard pretty good stuff about MAG brand mags as well (though recently several of my friends' MAG mp5 mags have been spliting down the seams, don't know if this also affects m4 mags). King Arms not so much, especially for M4/M16 mags. Star is always a good affordable fallback too.

Now for alittle Gun pron:

When I got it:

Now (=^_^=):

edit: I agree with Saint that m4 pouches are much easier to get, mp5 pouches are a pain in the ass to find. That said, I have a MP5k for CQB and I've found that a pair of mp5 mags mag-clamped together fit great in most m4 pouches.

Kuro_Neko

Last edited by Kuro_Neko; April 28th, 2009 at 20:50..
Kuro_Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 20:52   #14
Crunchmeister

I'd also agree the M4 is a better starter gun than the MP5 for all the reasons listed above. And I also highly recommend Classic Army.
Old April 28th, 2009, 21:07   #15
Rubs

this is the m4 I am purchasing.

It's a G&G, shoots at about 350fps. It only comes with one high cap mag, but I'm going to be getting some real caps (thanks for the advice on star mags, and others), comes with 1 twin 9.6v 1700 mah NIMH battery, for $450, which seems to me is a pretty good deal considering all the improvements to the gun.

Will be upgrading to a flip magnifier, cause imo, thats badass outdoors. And a grenade launcher aswell. Love what you did with your gun there Kuro.

Are flashlights useful? I could see them being used in a night game, but doesn't that give your position away?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank