Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ICS M4 shoots down

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 14th, 2011, 20:32   #1
georche

ICS M4 shoots down

Hey guys,

my ICS M4 is having some issues with hop-up. It started out of the blue during a game a couple of weeks ago. When I shoot, the bb's look like they have "reverse" hop-hop...the sink like crazy...even with the hop-up on max and completely off.

I have replaced the hop-up rubber and complete hop-up assembly with brand new ones (from ICS). I also replaced the inner barrel with a new ICS inner barrel. Still nothing....bb's do the same thing no matter how much I turn on the hop-up. Everything was installed properly.

I made sure the inner barrel is not wobbling anywhere and that it is nice and snug inside the outer barrel (thought maybe it wobbled a bit and would bounce the bb around before it left the berrel) but still nothing.

I looked at my loading nozzle and upper gear box and they look fine.....

This gun would always shoot super straight....

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be??
Old May 14th, 2011, 20:49   #2
FACE
a.k.a. Phoneguy

Silly question, but did you make sure the "nub" was put back in when you replaced the hop-up rubber. This is what controls how much the rubber pushes on the bb when it enters the barrel from the mag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoSeven View Post
Long story short:
If your gun is in Canada, leave it in Canada.
If your gun is not in Canada, leave it outside of Canada.
FACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 20:50   #3
Rooster
a.k.a. flamethis

My ICS did something similar at our season opener. Was shooting down after only a few feet out of the barrel, I messed with the hop up and it started hooking up and to the right. After that it had a loss of over 100 fps and misfeeds. Turned out to all be due to a rip in the hopup rubber.

I know you replaced the rubber but I'd just double check for a tear. Mine was tiny but more than enough to mess things up.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 21:03   #4
georche

Quote:
Originally Posted by FACE View Post
Silly question, but did you make sure the "nub" was put back in when you replaced the hop-up rubber. This is what controls how much the rubber pushes on the bb when it enters the barrel from the mag.
Yup.. the nub is there FACE....wasn't silly at all.

Rooster I will check my hop-up again to see if there is any tear...
Old May 14th, 2011, 21:26   #5
georche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
My ICS did something similar at our season opener. Was shooting down after only a few feet out of the barrel, I messed with the hop up and it started hooking up and to the right. After that it had a loss of over 100 fps and misfeeds. Turned out to all be due to a rip in the hopup rubber.

I know you replaced the rubber but I'd just double check for a tear. Mine was tiny but more than enough to mess things up.
Nope....no tear at all....
Old May 14th, 2011, 22:19   #6
Rooster
a.k.a. flamethis

Hmmm.. well just tossing out ideas now, but could there be an obstruction on the outer barrel? Maybe something caught between the outer and the flash hider?
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 22:02   #7
georche

Nope...no obstructions. I'm super stumped. what would cause this? Hop up just doesn't work...
Old May 16th, 2011, 22:30   #8
HKGhost

Do you know what FPS you're shooting at? If replacing all the parts you've listed and still having the same problem, it may be caused with a drop in fps. I think you should open up the upper and check the piston head and it's seal.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 23:38   #9
captainafternoon
mrlexmark

Hkghost has the right idea, those parts were all new. When you say a few feet, sounds like there just isn't enough energy behind the bbs and they kind of lob out like a springer from ct
captainafternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 00:03   #10
voorhees -FWA-

Send a message via MSN to voorhees -FWA-
... just a shot in the dark... Try to replace the air nozzle with a known good one or a brand new one.
voorhees -FWA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:51   #11
Kos-Mos

Double check for a cracked hop-up (the plastic part) just in front of the barrel clip. I have a friend that had the same issue this week-end... his barrel was twisted because the clip could move, and the hop-up was then useless... on top of creating a huge airleak.

Second would be the nozzle too.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:53   #12
bangzilla

yeah try to get a fps reading if you can, that would make trouble shooting a little easier.
bangzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:32   #13
kiru

If you already replaced your hop up assembly and your problem still persisted, I'd take a look at your upper gearbox and check your o-ring for any deformity and check for air leaks. And chrony your gun to see if the fps loss and pin point whether it is improper air compression or something else.

I had a problem with my ICS m4 before and it was because of a bad air compression in the upper, caused by a messed up o-ring not giving a proper seal.
kiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2011, 18:40   #14
georche

guys thanks so much for all the ideas. I will check the fps, check my air nozzle, and check all my seals...especially in my cylinder. I will also check that my barrel clip is holding the barrel in place properly. I`ll post back what I find. Hope with all the help thawe can get to the bottom of this!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 15:01   #15
georche

So it looks like my loading nozzle has a small crack around the lip where it attaches to the tappet plate. Hoping this could be it so I ordered a new one...along with a new cylinder, cylinder head, and piston head. figured might as well since i have it opened. I'll update once I receive it and get it installed!

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner