Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Any silicon oil will do?

:

Newbie Tank

Old November 9th, 2009, 11:47   #1
mas_oyama

Any silicon oil will do?

2 questions:

1 - For using along with the propane adapter to fill the mags with propane, I've seen a can of silicon oil specifically for aisoft guns on the internet... will any bottle of silicon oil do? Like if I buy a generic one off canadian tire, It will do the job?

2 - Also, I am getting a GBB pistol. What kind of lube would you guys recommend me for maintenance on the gun? and what part of the gun should I lube? I know I should lube the slide (like between the frame and the slide). Is there any other parts I should lube once in a while?

Last edited by mas_oyama; November 9th, 2009 at 12:22..
mas_oyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:07   #2
BORDENSNIPER

silicone oil shouldn't really be used for slide lubrication. White Lithium grease is great for gbb slides, or any other machine oil that is not too thick.

Silicone however, should be used for o-rings, and the hopup rubber once every while so that it doesn't become too dry. Using silicone on orings such as the main one on the piston of ur gbb, makes for a good seal. Another good thing about silicone (light silicone) oil is that if your oring should decrease in size because of cold (I had a gbb and aeg orings decrease since I stored them in my basement were it is pretty cold) you can take the orings, soak them in the oil for a day or so, and they swell, providing for a good seal.

Get light silicone oil.

Ive used this before, gets good results: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...mbo%2BPack.jspy

OR just buy the AI silicone oil tube, itll last you long if u use it properly.

cheers

Last edited by BORDENSNIPER; November 9th, 2009 at 12:13..
BORDENSNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:21   #3
mas_oyama

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORDENSNIPER View Post
silicone oil shouldn't really be used for slide lubrication. White Lithium grease is great for gbb slides, or any other machine oil that is not too thick.

Silicone however, should be used for o-rings, and the hopup rubber once every while so that it doesn't become too dry. Using silicone on orings such as the main one on the piston of ur gbb, makes for a good seal. Another good thing about silicone (light silicone) oil is that if your oring should decrease in size because of cold (I had a gbb and aeg orings decrease since I stored them in my basement were it is pretty cold) you can take the orings, soak them in the oil for a day or so, and they swell, providing for a good seal.

Get light silicone oil.

Ive used this before, gets good results: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...mbo%2BPack.jspy

OR just buy the AI silicone oil tube, itll last you long if u use it properly.

cheers

I'll edit, silicon oil was to use along a propane tank adapter, it was meant for the mags. I wanted to know if any type of silicon oil will do the job for that. The question about lubing the slide and any other part was something else, I did not meant to lube with that!

edit:

jig-a-loo is actually silicon oil??? lol! didn't know that!

Last edited by mas_oyama; November 9th, 2009 at 12:31..
Old November 9th, 2009, 13:10   #4
Crunchmeister

For your mags, you need 10wt silicone oil. You can get either dedicated airsoft verion, or you can stop by any hobby shop. It's sold as RC shock oil.
Old November 9th, 2009, 13:35   #5
L473ncy

15 wt. oil works too (that's the highest I'd go, I wouldn't use anything above this), that was the lowest weight that the hobby shop that I went to sold (not a dedicated RC shop but the price was right, $5.00 for like 5 oz of the stuff). It worked decently well.

The AI silicone oil is actually 5 wt. or 2.5 wt. (or so I'm told)

For slide lubrication, lithium grease or possibly graphite powder (that can be a lubricant too, which I just found out this summer working on renos). The guy you'll want to talk to about graphite powder is Illusion as someone told me that he uses it on some of his custom built GBB's.
Old November 9th, 2009, 13:39   #6
mas_oyama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
For your mags, you need 10wt silicone oil. You can get either dedicated airsoft verion, or you can stop by any hobby shop. It's sold as RC shock oil.
10wt? copy that. I suppose the grade is mentionned on every bottle? I'll go check at canadian pif paf to see what theirs is... I suppose it it 10wt or lower? don't know if it even exists... lol.

Last edited by mas_oyama; November 9th, 2009 at 13:43..
Old November 9th, 2009, 14:28   #7
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Whatever you do, don't use anything with petroleum distillates as they fry your orings. Make Sure its 100% pure silicone oil. Your best bet is to grab some of the AI bottles. One of the small bottles will last you a LONG time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 15:33   #8
Dart

yah the only oil I have been able to find here ins 20wt and if you go to heavy on it in the adapter your shots get screwed up badly when it gets a little chilly the oil actually hinders the action *nozzle does not seem to want to slide back as easily*.
Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 17:31   #9
BORDENSNIPER

Quote:
For your mags, you need 10wt silicone oil.
exactly that^
BORDENSNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank