Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

too much voltage?

:

Newbie Tank

Old June 8th, 2009, 21:14   #1
Slangtime

too much voltage?

Hello, i just bought a new gun, its a Dragunov AEG with some unknown upgrades. I need a strong enough battery to compress the spring fully, but im not too sure how much is too much. Im looking at getting an 11.1v 1300Mah crane LiPo battery but i need the go ahead of some smart people before i potentially screw up my gun. At the moment i am using an 8.4v 1500Mah battery that died after about 1000rnds and the Rof was pathetic.

Some intelligent input would be much appreciated.
Slangtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 21:18   #2
Midgetkid

Well, what brand is it? Most AEG's really arent suited for a lipo without proper upgrading. It will strip your piston most likely.
Midgetkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 21:22   #3
Slangtime

Im pretty sure its a CYMA.
Old June 8th, 2009, 21:36   #4
Midgetkid

Yea, to be completely honest, i dont think an 11.1v Lipo is gonna work, Maybe go with a 9.6v. That will raise your ROF.
Old June 8th, 2009, 21:58   #5
Slangtime

thank you very much.
Old June 8th, 2009, 22:08   #6
Tankdude

a better motor will help as well. Find a TM motor.

My rof of fire jumped by over 300 rpm just by putting in a better motor
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 22:15   #7
Midgetkid

If you dont mind spending a bit extra go with a systema turbo motor
Old June 8th, 2009, 22:20   #8
theguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgetkid View Post
If you dont mind spending a bit extra go with a systema turbo motor
??

Why would you need a high-speed motor for a sniper rifle? If you really want the best, get a systema Magnum, but unles your running an insane spring, Gaurder, TM and G&P are all good choices

Chinese proverb
theguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 23:54   #9
RockinShaun

Just make sure you don't increase your rate of fire to much or your mags won't be able to keep up. You end up firing a large burst the dry fire then a burst. Believe it or not there is such a thing as too fast
RockinShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:10   #10
sortie39
Banned

pretty sure its JG!!best for upgrading to RPK or RPD if you change battery,but keep in mind that 9.6v is the most optimum voltage range.
sortie39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:23   #11
Jimski

to crank a bigger spring for more shots you need more CAPACITY, voltage will help but it's not the main parameter.
Capacity cranks harder, voltage will rise the ROF.

Capacity is not enough to tell the crankage power since it's the related DISCHARGE RATE that's gonna make the work.
(usually, bigger capacity with bigger cells= greater discharge rate)
So if you take a 2000 mAh battery with a very poor discharge rate (smaller cells usually) you'll get no improvement.
So if you have enough room, you want a 8.4 or 9.6 Nimh pack with BIG cells and a capacity bigger than 2000 mAh.

Last edited by Jimski; June 9th, 2009 at 08:28..
Jimski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:01   #12
m102404
Tys

Not uncommon for those setups. Mini batteries (stick/rectangle/butterfly/etc...) suck for extended usage and "snappy" trigger response.

A big motor will not be the best bang for your buck...it'll just use up your battery faster. (i.e. better response for fewer shots).

Jimski's got it nailed...you need a pack that can supply more Amps than a mini pack.

Unfortunately...a large sub-C cell sized battery will not be able to fit a dragunov. (the only guy I saw who had one "hidden" modded the stock and hid the pack under a cheek pad).

So you'd be looking at a lipo stick. Look at the C rating of the pack...that's how many factors of it's discharge rate that it can "dump" on demand. Take the capacity (in your example 1300mAh) and divide by 1000 (so 1.3A). Then multiply by the C rating (i.e. 12C, 15C, 20/25/30/35/etc....). AEGs normally use 13-18A (and the startup is a little higher than when it's running up to speed). So you're looking for a C rating of 12-15 (1.3x12 = 15.6A...1.3x15=19.5A). LiPo's have both peak and sustained C ratings (peak is the max it'll put out...sustained is sustained). Take the lable with a grain of salt...and the fact that it's a bit of marketing...if it's only got one C rating labled it's probably the Peak rating (and it might be "generous"). So I'd aim for a 15C or even 20C (1.3x20 = 26A...which is pretty stiff!!!) if I wanted a "snappy" setup. Remember it's a factor of the mAh and the C rating....not just voltage or amps on their own.

But....you can't expect a tiny slim stick lipo to SUSTAIN the same power draw as a 2200 mAh LiPo brick. Under heavy sustained drain...the little LiPo's will get really hot (not a good thing). They'll be fine for semi-auto (which is more suitable for a Dragunov rifle)...and they last for a lot of shots.

Best of luck finding a match for your rifle,

Tys

Last edited by m102404; June 9th, 2009 at 09:06..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank