Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Spring-Powered M4?

:

Newbie Tank

Old October 20th, 2011, 08:56   #16
AJam

Thank you R.I.T.Z. and Ghostrecon for being the only people with something constructive to say! I appreciate it.

Honestly, I may be mistaken here, but how can a number of you compare pellet guns to airsoft guns? I mean, how does the FPS of one compare to the other? And the ammunition? Get real. I don't want a pellet gun, I want an airsoft gun. There's a reason they call it airSOFT. For someone who's a newb at this I seem to grasp this concept better than a lot of you.

Thanks to those of you who have contributed.. I see what you are saying. You get what you pay for and if I don't want something that will break in a week I'm going to have to spend some cash, which I'm cool with. Just wanted to make sure that was my only option. I will check out classifieds for AEGs as that is what I originally wanted. I also considered a sniper rifle, but an M4 replica is my top choice.

If the M4 plan falls through I'll look into a spring sniper rifle. My initial thought was that if they could put that kind of power into a spring sniper, why can't I find the same mechanism in an M4? Just doesn't make sense to me. I want a $300 / 350FPS / Spring / M4. Is that too much to ask? Apparently it is!

Thanks for the help guys!
AJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:00   #17
Juke16

We CAN put the power of a spring/BA sniper RIFLE into an M4, we just don't do it because it's like putting a turbocharged engine from something like a Mustang into a Smart Car, and it increases wear and tear on your gear box. Believe me, airsoft is not soft at all; if you want soft go Nerf. Should you still feel that airsoft won't break walls or break skin, I believe there's a picture of someone who got a really bad bleeder at OP Rhino lying around somewhere.
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 09:39   #18
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

I have seen a spring powered m4. It was clear plastic, and you pulled the charging handle back to cock the spring. Cheap garbage really. If you want power, accuracy, or distance prepare to spend a few bucks. Either get an M4 AEG, or a spring sniper. As your just plinking you can buy a cheaper version. If you get AV'ed you may find something suitable on the classys. Otherwise it's brand new from an airsoft shop, or a Canadian Tire special. Honestly find a used M4 with a high cap mag to plink with. Spend between $250-$400 on it. That way you can upgrade or repair it at your convenience over time. A standard internal M4 like a TM, CA, JG, G&G, ect. Also you can find parts and people to fix them more easily. A spring sniper is better for accuracy, and power. But they are just a bolt action system.

BB's will stick into skin. My friend Dave took a BB to the cheek From a G36 shooting 360 FPS. The BB stuck into his cheek, and had to be pulled out. Anytime you shoot a real steel, BB, or pellet gun you and your friends should wear appropriate eyeprotection. CSA/ANSI or ballistic approved glasses or goggles with side shields. On another note a few friends of mine bought walmart AEG to shoot at each other at home. The guns came shooting around 240FPS. After a week or two the whole apartment including walls and furniture had the texture of a golf ball.

Food for thought my friend. Be safe, and don't waste tour time or money.
Old October 20th, 2011, 13:09   #19
Con Murder

haha canadian tire! Christ, if the tri-shot and c11 never got the ok by CDN_stalker we could all just blow this off!

Super cereal here bud. I had a few friends that got permission to play in a couple of churches with springers. Fun in thought, sucks in reality. Cock and shoot means getting shot. Especially if everyone has aeg's. Think this through, would you want to be out gunned with no advantage? Thats a bolt action for ya. Maybe some extra range if your certified and even then, can you stop a five man charge with your extra 40ft of range?

Crappy tire measures the fps with .12g bbs. That should make you run. Run fast. See the certified BA users have very heavy ammo to stay true. When you shoot a .4g bb you need 450 fps just to shoot out as far as the rest of the players.

Go get a cheap entry level AEG. Get cansoft if you don't know how you'll like it. AND DO NOT LET YOUR FRIENDS HANDLE UNLESS YOU PLAN TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY!
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 14:32   #20
AJam

Haha I think that you guys took my friends handling my gun comment too seriously. I was mostly just kidding. They may be stupid but they're not children.. lol.

So I guess I will be searching for an affordable AEG. Probably gonna grab a Velocity Arms M4, unless the King Arms M4 I was looking at is still on sale for the same price. Checked out the classifieds.. not much selection. Plus, I don't want to buy other people's problems.

Thanks for the help guys!

PS- It shocks me that they simply haven't put the spring sniper mechanism in other bodies. I wouldn't say that a mustang to a smart car is analogous of a sniper to an M4.. If products like what I was looking for don't exist, maybe there's some room for us to fill that void. If anyone's interested in starting a business where we put the spring-powered power of sniper rifles into other styles of guns, let me know! lol
Old October 20th, 2011, 14:58   #21
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJam View Post
I have been looking for a good quality (reliability, power, etc) spring-powered M4 style rifle.
No such thing. Doesn't exist on this planet.

Quote:
Turns out the CX4 Storm is a real gun? I'm looking for something under $300 that shoots plastic BBs.
Yes, the same way the M4 is a real gun, the CX4 is a real gun too. It fires 9mm rounds.

There is a pellet version of the CX4 Storm as well. Actually, there are 2 versions of the pellet version. One shoots 495 FPS that anyone can buy, and one that shoots I believe 650 FPS that you need a PAL to purchase.

Just a tip - if you're going to ask for advice, you should actually listen to what some of these guys who've been playing airsoft for years have to say. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience on ASC. You really should take advantage of it.
Old October 20th, 2011, 15:23   #22
surebet
Vicious MSPaint Wizard

Quote:
Checked out the classifieds..

Stop American Censorship
surebet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 14:18   #23
Ricochet
How much sand CAN you fit in your vagina!?

Actually there is great selection on the classys. Question is how did you view the classifieds without being age verified?
Old October 21st, 2011, 14:26   #24
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Checked out the classifieds.. not much selection.
I call BS.

1. You can't see the classifieds because you're not age-verified.
  2. If you actually had access and could see them, you'd see there's actually a crazy selection of all kinds of stuff in there. Generally, if someone is looking for something and it isn't there now, wait a few days and it'll show up. Don't want used? There's a retailer section with a wide selection of NEW items as well.

Now, that's assuming it's something that actually exists. A good quality springer M4 doesn't exist.
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:12   #25
AJam

Sorry to mislead you. When I said I checked out the classifieds I meant craigslist, kijiji, etc.. not the forum's classifieds.
And I don't really have the time to meet up with some random stranger to show them my ID and prove I am as old as I say I am, so don't worry about it. I've made my decision and decided to get an AEG.. Velocity Arms to be specific.

And the "wealth of knowledge and experience" you speak of took 23 posts before I was informed that what I was looking for simply did not exist. Instead, I was bombarded with a bunch of irrelevant suggestions and negative comments.

Thanks to everyone who had something helpful to contribute! :tup:
Old October 24th, 2011, 14:37   #26
Amos

Lets just hope you end up getting into airsoft, come a long way as a player and a member of the community and can look back at this thread and apply your face to your palm.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 15:33   #27
Crunchmeister

Not telling you what you want to hear does not equate to posts being irrelevant. All replies to your post were very valid. They just don't fit your preconceptions therefore you dismiss them as irrelevant. There's a big difference between the two.
Old October 24th, 2011, 16:39   #28
AJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
Not telling you what you want to hear does not equate to posts being irrelevant
...pretty sure it does.
I asked about spring powered airsoft guns, not pellet guns, not to discuss who uses it, not $3000 guns.
When replies lose sight of the topic at hand, that seems like irrelevance to me.
Old October 24th, 2011, 16:56   #29
Cpt- Lovegrove

if you have a princess auto or a canadian tire or walmart near you they have a large selection of cheap guns including full auto AEG (walmart) for 100, there are also assorted spring loaded ones
Cpt- Lovegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 17:35   #30
Amos

Quote:
...pretty sure it does.
I asked about spring powered airsoft guns, not pellet guns, not to discuss who uses it, not $3000 guns.
When replies lose sight of the topic at hand, that seems like irrelevance to me.
Getting from A to C requires knowing were B is.

You're looking for something that doesn't exist for a purpose that isn't suited to it... Everyone else is just offering other suggestions.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank