Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

CBSA and my Experience Importing from Hong Kong

:

General

Old December 4th, 2013, 18:51   #1
CriticalBill

CBSA and my Experience Importing from Hong Kong

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...highlight=cbsa

So on Nov 17, 2013 I posted the above thread, with the title "CBSA and my Experience Importing from Hong Kong". One day later some administrator on this forum closed the thread and re-titled it "The woes of one who tried to import the wrong way".

What exactly was done "the wrong way" ? I did everything by the book so please explain this stance, whoever changed the title.

Secondly, I don't know why it was closed on me because there was activity and I now have new information I want to add.

Last week I got the notice from CBSA that my LM4 was released and ready for pickup. Only 2 weeks detention. So, a good end to the story after all and I now have the rifle at my house and love it. I spoke to a few CBSA agents when picking it up and they were awesome and friendly. First time in 20 years they had seen anyone import an airsoft rifle like that through Pearson Airport.

I also got a contact name of the person that makes the decisions on these things in customs and I intend to follow up with a good natured chat about how to best do this in the future if I ever choose to.

Still a hassle and nerve racking. Easier to buy locally and highly recommend supporting local business. But, the point is that the option is there if you do it the right way and by-the-book. Declare everything and read the memorandum.

I have also already been through Pearson Airport customs just yesterday without any red flags popping up, so no I do not appear to be on any high-alert list. No extra body cavity searches for me thx.

Last edited by CriticalBill; December 4th, 2013 at 18:55..
CriticalBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 18:58   #2
Jbone 11 11

Glad it worked out for ya Bill. Just goes to show things are slowly changing...and maybe for the better. There are definitely some good folks in the CBSA, just gotta find em. Sounds like you did.

As for your prev. post, locking it was a given the way the thread was going....but I do think the title change was a bit naff. my 2cents.
Jbone 11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 19:02   #3
badbin

Good to know, thank you for the information.
badbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 19:17   #4
itiloh

Awesome! Good to hear it worked out. But I'm not surprised since you did everything the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalBill View Post
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...highlight=cbsa

So on Nov 17, 2013 I posted the above thread, with the title "CBSA and my Experience Importing from Hong Kong". One day later some administrator on this forum closed the thread and re-titled it "The woes of one who tried to import the wrong way".

What exactly was done "the wrong way" ? I did everything by the book so please explain this stance, whoever changed the title.

Secondly, I don't know why it was closed on me because there was activity and I now have new information I want to add.

Last week I got the notice from CBSA that my LM4 was released and ready for pickup. Only 2 weeks detention. So, a good end to the story after all and I now have the rifle at my house and love it. I spoke to a few CBSA agents when picking it up and they were awesome and friendly. First time in 20 years they had seen anyone import an airsoft rifle like that through Pearson Airport.

I also got a contact name of the person that makes the decisions on these things in customs and I intend to follow up with a good natured chat about how to best do this in the future if I ever choose to.

Still a hassle and nerve racking. Easier to buy locally and highly recommend supporting local business. But, the point is that the option is there if you do it the right way and by-the-book. Declare everything and read the memorandum.

I have also already been through Pearson Airport customs just yesterday without any red flags popping up, so no I do not appear to be on any high-alert list. No extra body cavity searches for me thx.
itiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 19:43   #5
beta678
ASC's navel of the year!

Send a message via MSN to beta678
I don't think the previous thread being closed has anything to do with you doing anything the "wrong" way. It just seems like ASC doesn't like encouraging the behavior which is completely understandable as not everyone will do things the right way like you did.

It might have an adverse effect on the community if some 12 year old kid decides he wants an airsoft gun for Christmas and somehow convinces their parents who knows little to nothing on the matter to purchase one for him and bring it over the border incorrectly, leading to various potential charges, smuggling, etc.. which could lead to the sport and items related to the sport being blacklisted by CBSA completely.

Also threads like those usually go off topic pretty quickly... there's an AV'd section for discussions related to this but you'd need to get AV'd to see it.

Anyways good to hear you received your LM4, post up a review if you have time, I'm interested in getting a GBB M4 sometime in the future as well.
beta678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 22:54   #6
Swattiger

Good you got the item.

But I must say everyone has a different perception of time and effort. What you think is well worth may not be same as how the others feel.

To be frank, for a model as common as M4, I will simply buy or order from a local retailer.
Swattiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 23:48   #7
_Whiskey_

How Does one go about importing airsoft rifles from the US? I have my PAL & RPAL Can it be done if so how? Always wondered and as I go over to the US quite often was thinking of picking up a KWA over there and bringing it over.
_Whiskey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 00:03   #8
slowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalBill View Post
Good to hear. Looking forward to hearing about your discussion with this "descision maker"
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:18   #9
Danke

2 weeks is pretty much record breaking for the CBSA.
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:05   #10
Danke

From the chatter on here clearing a seizure is at least months normally.

A simple inspection is a day, it won't even ripple the normal transit time.
Old December 5th, 2013, 15:51   #11
Jbone 11 11

Things seem to be getting a bit better the more familiar Canadian authorities become with the sport. Good now that its happening but bad in the sense that there is a lot of "hey whats that? I don't know....Ok ban it!" type attitudes in this country.
Old December 6th, 2013, 07:19   #12
ManuGod

Interesting to know, happy for you dude! Maybe if importing become easier with time, local prices will start to drop according to that. I still can't believe that the King Arms FN FAL is around $450 here and $250 in US (last time I checked for both).

Anyway, congrats again man

-Murphy's war law-

///////////////////
ManuGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 05:49   #13
-=ArchAngel=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuGod View Post
Interesting to know, happy for you dude! Maybe if importing become easier with time, local prices will start to drop according to that. I still can't believe that the King Arms FN FAL is around $450 here and $250 in US (last time I checked for both).

Anyway, congrats again man
they've already been dropping for quite a while now.
-=ArchAngel=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 13:36   #14
ManuGod

Yeah indeed, that's a good sign, this will make the market healthier, since people will buy a bit more.

-Murphy's war law-

///////////////////
ManuGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2013, 18:19   #15
Jbone 11 11

Dude..It ain't just airsoft that's boatloads cheaper in the states. It's most things....dare I say all things. I ride a lot and on average motorcycle parts, apparel, tools etc, etc are 35-50% cheaper in the states...add to that free shipping in CONUS with a lot of retailers and that shipping address I maintain in Ogdensberg is more than paying for itself. And paying duty is well worth it as brokerage is fucking straight up criminal.
EDIT: FREE TRADE MY ASS!!!!

Last edited by Jbone 11 11; December 8th, 2013 at 18:21..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General