Silencer Question

:

Accessories Discussion

Old February 21st, 2007, 14:22   #1
Vindicator

Silencer Question

Hey there
Checked the FAQ and general discussion.

So from my understanding of what I have read and heard, one can increase the barrel length of their gun by just installing a longer barrel and hiding the protruding end with the appropriate silencer.

But could this be done by another approach, such as installing a fixed barrel to fit the length of the silencer, separate from the guns barrel? Are there any complications with such an approach? This way I could use my MP5 for CQB games and for open field games simply attach the silencer, thus increasing barrel length without going through the tedium of completely refitting the entire barrel.

Might as well ask another question I haven’t seen pop up. Could increased barrel length also increase FPS, as a longer barrel may give the BB a longer acceleration time? Or is it the longer barrel will cause more friction over acceleration (I can imagine so with very long barrel lengths but maybe not so with shorter barrel lengths).

Appreciate any info or directing to the appropriate thread/s
Vindicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 14:31   #2
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

two problems I can think of off the bat;

1) The two inner barrels would have to mate exactly, otherwise the bb would end up being deflected off the leading edge of the 2nd barrel. Most likely not too hard to do, just make sure both ends are chamfered.

2) when you put the silencer on, you would be increasing the volume of air inside the inner barrel, and you depending on the total length, would more than likely need to change out your cylinder to a non-ported model.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 15:00   #3
thephenom

What's wrong with buying an outdoor AEG? (More the better )

Longer barrel won't necessary increase your velocity unless you are using a tight bore. The long barrel just means you're getting a better grouping at mid/long range because the BB stabilize more before it exits the barrel. To increase distance, what you're looking at is a fps upgrade, not a barrel upgrade.
thephenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 15:17   #4
Stonewall

extended barrel

Hi,

Funny you should ask. I had this conversation with our own ASC Myles about a month ago and asked exactly these two questions about the silencer and extending the barrel to increase the FPS.

I suggest you contact Myles directly. The gist of our conversation was the extended barrel changes the internal dynamics of the gun. Therefore, if you do, there are internal changes to be seriously considered.

As well, I had contact with someone who had done this type of modification by extending an AK47 from 455 to 650 (Don't quote me on this, been a while). Whatever max barrel length you can buy. See tables.

He advised me he made several changes to acommodate the longer barrel length. If I can find this correspondance I will send it to you. He is based in the eastern USA and a member of this website. If you're lucky you may hear from him. He did a beautiful job on the upgrade. Made a monster AK if I ever saw one.

Long story short. Little bit of information available to me suggests it is doable, but do your homework first. Which you are doing now.

For myself. At this time I elected not to pursue this experiment. I have an AK74, AK47 and M4. Right now there are other irons in the fire. Possibly later. Good luck. Let us know what you do.

Regards,
Old February 21st, 2007, 17:52   #5
Vindicator

Alright thanks for the input all. Yeah I guess theres more to it than I initially expected. At least it may be possible it seems.
Vindicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 14:23   #6
TROOPERUSS

Hey Stonewall, in your talks with Myles, did he mention if there was an increase in FPS?

To anyone who can answer:

I'm considering doing this in a stock tm MP5 RAS with a 140mm (I think) king arms silencer, and a M4 twist barrel.

What other upgrades should I be looking at to keep it working properly?
Is there is a noticable improvment, or should I just go with the stock length twist barrel and upgrade the internals to 330?
TROOPERUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 14:55   #7
AvroAero

Send a message via AIM to AvroAero Send a message via MSN to AvroAero
Pratically, having a silencer with the inner barrel mounted inside it to extend the barrel is impossible. The only theoretical way would be to thread the outside of the gun's barrel and thread the inside of the silencer's barrel (both inners). Then mount it in the silencer as to make it exact such that they screw in in sequence. Then only will it be exact to make it even functional without significant loss of reliability. Problems are that the barrel MUST be exact, it weakens the structure (prone to high damage with less impact), and since the barrel is made of a soft metal it will easily be destroyed in the event of a cross thread which I'm SURE will happen at one point.

They don't even do this on real steel, which deals with only one barrel. Your better off making it either decent to crap in all situations, or good in one general one. There would be no point in jacking some shitbox civic up 9 inches to make it off road would it?

Old User Rating

Last edited by AvroAero; February 27th, 2007 at 14:58..
AvroAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 15:13   #8
Jugglez

Location: Swimming in a pool of Xpresspost receipts.... Toronto - 400/401
Something like this actually exists, it's made by KSC for their MK23 series GBB

http://www.uncompany.com/pageproduct...sp?prodid=1407

Inside is an inner barrel retained by a spring mechanism.. the spring keeps the inner barrel inside the silencer aligned with the inner barrel on the gun once installed.

I dont' have a picture of the inside but have sold a few of these with very positive results reported from the buyers. Unfortunately it only comes in 16mm+ thread for the MK23 series.
Old February 27th, 2007, 15:18   #9
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Worked fine for me. Took my KSC M11A1 (I know, it's not an AEG) from 330fps up to 400fps on some readings.

CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 15:20   #10
TROOPERUSS

Well thanks Avro I'm sure your right, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe your thinking I want a detachable silencer with a barrel extension built in, correct?
I actually just want a longer one peice barrel that is covered by a silencer.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
Just trying to see if that is feasable, and if I will have substantial (if any) gains, to make it worth trying.
Old February 27th, 2007, 15:32   #11
Nova316

My buddy has that done to his MP5 he has a much longer barrel thats covered by a silencer, it works well except for if u extended it to much u just need to upgrade your cylinder to match the new barrel length. It increases FPS a little bit when u use a tightbore but its more or less just to get your groups closer together
Nova316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 15:35   #12
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPERUSS View Post
Hey Stonewall, in your talks with Myles, did he mention if there was an increase in FPS?

To anyone who can answer:

I'm considering doing this in a stock tm MP5 RAS with a 140mm (I think) king arms silencer, and a M4 twist barrel.

What other upgrades should I be looking at to keep it working properly?
Is there is a noticable improvment, or should I just go with the stock length twist barrel and upgrade the internals to 330?
Just a toss in, my TM MP5 was shooting 365fps with the stock 229mm inner barrel, and because I had the SD front end on it, I decided to cut a custom length that'd fit inside the SD supressor, settled on a 330mm length cut out of my stock M24 barrel I replaced a couple years ago with a tightbore. Next time I chronied it, my fps had gone up to 387fps. So a rough guess, 100mm = 30fps. Not a set in stone method, but a very rough one anyways.

Last edited by CDN_Stalker; February 27th, 2007 at 15:39..
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 16:01   #13
TROOPERUSS

Thanks CDN, well, I'm pretty much sold on the idea.
Now I just need to figure out what other upgrades I need to do to make the longer barrel function properly.
It will be about 145mm-150mm longer (I'll have to measure that to be sure)
Can anyone tell me where to look, or who to talk to to find out what else I need to upgrade to make this work properly.

Last edited by TROOPERUSS; February 27th, 2007 at 16:08..
Old February 27th, 2007, 16:10   #14
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

No other upgrades are required to upgrade to an M4A1 Carbine length inner barrel (363mm).
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 16:46   #15
AvroAero

Send a message via AIM to AvroAero Send a message via MSN to AvroAero
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPERUSS View Post
Well thanks Avro I'm sure your right, correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe your thinking I want a detachable silencer with a barrel extension built in, correct?
I actually just want a longer one peice barrel that is covered by a silencer.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.
Just trying to see if that is feasable, and if I will have substantial (if any) gains, to make it worth trying.
Well I extended my inner and upgraded my internals at the same time, coming to 340fps with .25s and it shoots nice and consistent for me. Nice long accurate range. Although I can't say how well each improves it since I did it all together.
I can't see the detachable spring loaded silencer working as good as said, but then again I may not be following the construction completely. Stalker's pretty good with that so I'd take his word on it.

Old User Rating
AvroAero is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion