Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Recommended Silicone Oil for GBB

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 24th, 2006, 12:18   #1
iarenick

Question Recommended Silicone Oil for GBB

I am waiting for my KSC Glock 18c to come through the mail right now (Just ordered from PrecisionAirsoft.com), and decided to use PC Duster gas to power my gun. It was recommended to me to use 100% Silicone Oil to lube the magazine before I fill it with the gas. What grade of Silicone Shock Oil is recommended?
They seem to cary from 10 - 70 (Weight). What is the difference in using each one for your gun? Do diffrent types of guns use different grades?
iarenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 12:47   #2
Treadstone71
Ain't gay, but $20 is $20

Send a message via ICQ to Treadstone71 Send a message via MSN to Treadstone71
Use 70wt on your moving parts (think of it like an engine...heavier lube is beneficial) and 10 or 5wt on your mag seals.

Those are the standards...as you use your gbb more, you can buy other weights to try and find your own ideal, but I use those standard ones, and I've never had a problem.

Here's a sharp knife, have fun!

Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 13:09   #3
BloodSport
Traveling Man

I use the stuff MadMax at Airsoft Innovations sells. You can find a link to his site at the top of the page under Canadian Retailers.
Old February 24th, 2006, 16:30   #4
v82slo

Actually, I wanted to clarify a common misconception. I'm hoping Mad Max can clarify chime in as I intrepret this from what he has told me at last years orientation.

Silicone oil is not a good GBB luber in regards to the moving parts! My understanding (from MM) is that it is molecularly thin and when put on metal or moving parts thins itself out providing very little lube for metal on metal rub.

Silicone oil is great for keeping your plastic and rubber seals intact though (that's why we drop it into the gas chamber). For metal on metal parts use Lithium or Silicone grease instead. Just wipe it on sparingly and clean it once in while to remove dust, dirt and other contamanents (sp?).
Old February 24th, 2006, 16:33   #5
Homewrecker

I would think that using any sort of grease on a GBB would tend to slow the mechanical action (slide recoil, etc) down slightly due to the viscosity.

I've been using silicone oil on my GBB and have had no problems thus far.
Old February 24th, 2006, 16:34   #6
iarenick

so... basically, I should get 10 (for my mag seals) and 70 (for the actual gun's parts?)?
Thanks guys.

Wow, these forums are so much better than the forums at ArniesAirsoft.co.uk. Geez, hehe, I made a little joke (nothing bad) and I got instantly temp. banned! :banghead: .

North America > United Kingdom :nod:
iarenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 16:37   #7
Greykin

You'd be suprised dude, that can easily happen here too.
Old February 24th, 2006, 16:41   #8
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iarenick
Geez, hehe, I made a little joke (nothing bad) and I got instantly temp. banned! :banghead: .

North America > United Kingdom :nod:
Before you make that assumptoin, you should really try that joke out on us. :grin:
But yeah, I use really any weight, I found that the lower needs to be reaplied more often, which is a given, but none of it is overly affective, it all just gets dragged off anyway...

Heavier = Less need to reapply
Lighter = Faster kick, but isn't affective for long...
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 16:53   #9
v82slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewrecker
I would think that using any sort of grease on a GBB would tend to slow the mechanical action (slide recoil, etc) down slightly due to the viscosity.
I suspect the opposite is true. The grease will help lube (slippery surface) the metal on metal contact causing the GBB to speed up it's action. Using silicone is pretty much like using nothing and the metal on metal rub would cause wear and slow down. That's if I am correct (If I'm wrong on silicone being bad, then your assumption is more accurate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homewrecker
I've been using silicone oil on my GBB and have had no problems thus far.
Goes to prove that many of our GBB can take a lot of abuse. They don't need to have a lot of lube and will function with the little that we give.
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:16   #10
Dog Face Killer

Is there anything avaiable at your local hardware or Homedepot you can use as oposed to ordering it?
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:24   #11
Ph0_Eat3r

Send a message via MSN to Ph0_Eat3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Killer
Is there anything avaiable at your local hardware or Homedepot you can use as oposed to ordering it?

usualy hobby shops all carry silicone oil
Ph0_Eat3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:33   #12
Dog Face Killer

k
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:51   #13
Janus

Send a message via ICQ to Janus Send a message via MSN to Janus
Light silicone oil is a commodity that should be available anywhere.

Any hobby shop worth their salt can get you your appropriate wt.
Janus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:49   #14
JohnnyDo

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyDo
Quote:
Originally Posted by v82slo
Actually, I wanted to clarify a common misconception. I'm hoping Mad Max can clarify chime in as I intrepret this from what he has told me at last years orientation.

Silicone oil is not a good GBB luber in regards to the moving parts! My understanding (from MM) is that it is molecularly thin and when put on metal or moving parts thins itself out providing very little lube for metal on metal rub.

Silicone oil is great for keeping your plastic and rubber seals intact though (that's why we drop it into the gas chamber). For metal on metal parts use Lithium or Silicone grease instead. Just wipe it on sparingly and clean it once in while to remove dust, dirt and other contamanents (sp?).
agreed, grease for metal on metal. oil for the seals, although i use lithium grease on everything and add a drop of oil from mad max to the mags when i fill them up
JohnnyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:37   #15
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
Silicone oil has the strange property of not staying in place. It will spread continuously until it has become a molecularly thin layer. This is a good property for penetrating cracks and spreading evenly (good for rust protection), but it's kind of crap for providing higher pressure lubrication. Perhaps it's most useful property in airsoft is that it's inert and doesn't attack many plastics or rubbers. It's good for conditioning rubbers and preventing them from cracking which is why I recommend it as a seal conditioner only.

I find that a very light application of teflon or white lithium grease works much better for slide rails. I dab on a bit onto slide rails. Install the slide and cycle it a bunch of times to spread the goo then wipe it off with a paper towel to leave a very thin film. Gobs of grease can pick up sand and dust which makes for an abrasive emulsion I call "gun smegma". I am also experimenting with graphite powder which I lightly dust onto the rails before the cycle and wipe. The graphite makes for very dry film. You can wipe nearly all of it off after cycling the slide. The only downside is that you have to thorougly wipe it out of the external surfaces because it can transfer to holsters, gear, and eventually smudge things like a sofa or your face. You can find graphite powder at Crappy Tire in the automotive section. It's used as a door lock lubricant.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner