Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New players welcome!

:

Newbie Tank

Old February 4th, 2010, 20:38   #16
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
I am one to help but yet prefer to be cautious. I was abig fan of the mentoring idea that was surfaced awhile ago. I find if an old bastard like myself can help at least 3 to 5 guys then it will snowball over the following years to come.

I prefer to send private messages so they like as Seb says, remain for reference.

I did use the ASC search engine for everything I needed to look up. I also use other resources such as Arnies and a couple of other sites that have sadly closed down over the years. I still find mechbox.com useful and the NZ airsoft site has good info for senarios etc.

Oh yeah if you find a helpful fellow please thank them.

They are using their own busy time to help you.

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 20:45   #17
TechSeller

As a relative newcomer, and a non verified one at that, I have already received numerous helpful responses from some of the senior members here. So a tip of the chapeau for all the help so far.

I agree that questions should be researched first by searching the threads but if the information is dated, or not there at all, newbies should feel comfortable throwing it out there for discussion.

Cheers!

North Trail Sports - Mora, Motorola, Puxing, Fogtech & More! / Our ASC Retail Thread
TechSeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 20:45   #18
kalnaren

n00bs who complain about flaming tend to not make a correlation between something:

1) The amount of flaming recieved is inversly proportional to the amount of effort put into the question

2) The amount of flaming recieved is proportional to how much the newb whines, bitches, and complains about the advice recieved (see my thread on Elitists for a much more in depth explanation of this point)

Vets get tired of time and time again having to argue with newbs about why a broxa sucks for a new player. Yea, there's the occasional asshole who flames first and probably shouldn't. But the helpful thing works both ways.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 21:02   #19
skalnok

i posted the day i joined... but only after i had read through all the faq and stuff
skalnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 21:15   #20
Crunchmeister

I never got flamed as a noob. Why? Because I was lurking and reading the forums, soaking up every bit of info I could find for a couple of months before even starting an account. By the time I started posting, I didn't have any of the typics noob questions, because I had bothered reading the FAQs, stickies, and used the almighty search function to get my info.

That being said, when I did start posting and had questions, they were intelligently posted using full sentences and correct grammar. And they included references to other posts or threads where I had researched and generally, I just wanted clarification on something or extra input. As a result, I was always treated with the utmost respect by both new and veteran members alike.

I have no problems with new players. I welcome them. And if I see they have an eagerness and willingness to learn, I will go out of my way to help them out, either on the forum, or even in person. What I take serious issue with is the "I want it, I want it now, and I want someone else to do all the work for me" attitude that a high percentage of noobs have. That's why we see the same questions posted in the noob tank over and over. That seems to be a very prevalent attitude with kids these days that were brought up with the mentality of instant gratification on everything.

And usually, that attitude does indicate an underage kid, so it's not a stretch to assume that most of them are underage. Generally, that's something most will grow out of once they hit the real world and aren't living with mommy and daddy doing everything for them. And even an AV tag doesn't guarantee that they won't have this attitude either.

I get pissed at a lot of these noob threads, but rarely bother replying in them at all unless I see it's someone that's generally put some effort into trying to find their own answers before asking. Sadly, those seem to be a small minority of new ASC members.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank