Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

newbie looking for some 1st gun advice

:

Newbie Tank

Closed Thread

Old October 15th, 2012, 13:53   #1
B-Jewell

newbie looking for some 1st gun advice

Hello this is my 1st time on this forum! I must say its rather informative. I would just like to say, I really enjoy the idea of the sport, however I have yet to get on the field.

okay so I'm looking into purchasing my 2nd airsoft gun. I had a cheap Canadian tire one that i shot off for target practice a few times before it started leaking C02 out of the barrel and its now scrapped.

So im looking to buy a pistol. I'm firm on that. It will mainly be used for target practice, cure some boredom, and potentially used as a deterrent. I don't plant to use this in an actual airsoft game.. but who knows things always change. I however would like the strongest one I can find that is legal (under 500FPS I believe). I cant quite nail down the laws regarding steel BB's however I'm pretty sure that's a no go zone.

suggestions, questions?
Old October 15th, 2012, 13:56   #2
HackD

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Jewell View Post
Hello this is my 1st time on this forum! I must say its rather informative. I would just like to say, I really enjoy the idea of the sport, however I have yet to get on the field.

okay so I'm looking into purchasing my 2nd airsoft gun. I had a cheap Canadian tire one that i shot off for target practice a few times before it started leaking C02 out of the barrel and its now scrapped.

So im looking to buy a pistol. I'm firm on that. It will mainly be used for target practice, cure some boredom, and potentially used as a deterrent. I don't plant to use this in an actual airsoft game.. but who knows things always change. I however would like the strongest one I can find that is legal (under 500FPS I believe). I cant quite nail down the laws regarding steel BB's however I'm pretty sure that's a no go zone.

suggestions, questions?
It sounds like a good quality marksman pellet pistol or BB gun is more your thing, not airsoft. Deterrent? You plan to use this to threaten people in some manner? WRONG thing to do. Good luck with your future firearms-offense criminal code charges, or worse... that sort of comment indicates that you shouldn't be near anything more lethal than a spit-ball straw.

Last edited by HackD; October 15th, 2012 at 14:03.. Reason: major re-edit.
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:02   #3
B-Jewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
It sounds like a pellet rifle or good quality BB gun is more your thing, not airsoft. Deterrent? You plan to use this to threaten people? WRONG thing to do. Good luck with your firearms-offense criminal code charges.
I was thinking more coons ripping up my garden, just the noise of the shot in the air use to scare them off.... but you know I though a bb gun would be a better way to hurt humans than real guns.. -.-
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:02   #4
FirestormX

Quote:
It sounds like a pellet rifle or good quality BB gun is more your thing, not airsoft. Deterrent? You plan to use this to threaten people? WRONG thing to do. Good luck with your firearms-offense criminal code charges.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Plastic BBs aren't as accurate as proper metal BBs or pellets. And you should keep in mind that threatening someone with a toy that looks like a real gun, is still treated as threatening someone with a real gun. Self defence doesn't fly as well as in the US.

Edit: Ninja'd with B-Jewell's clarrification.
A short bang like a GBB would make probably wouldn't do too much for racoons, if they're brave enough to come into your yard.
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:08   #5
B-Jewell

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestormX View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.
Plastic BBs aren't as accurate as proper metal BBs or pellets. And you should keep in mind that threatening someone with a toy that looks like a real gun, is still treated as threatening someone with a real gun. Self defence doesn't fly as well as in the US.

Edit: Ninja'd with B-Jewell's clarrification.
A short bang like a GBB would make probably wouldn't do too much for racoons, if they're brave enough to come into your yard.
my cheap one use to scare them off for the night. if they start coming back again in the spring, I will be using alternate methods for dealing with them anyway, hence why I said potential, not the main reason I'm buying one
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:13   #6
MultipleParadox

Regarding those racoons: Buy some airsoft claymore, fill with flour, and lay them around; Top this off with a Timelapse Camera or Infrared Video Cam Triggered by movement for some good laugh

GBBR- bang bang -- Giggle

AEG-- merrrzip merrzip -- meh
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:14   #7
HackD

Quote:
I was thinking more coons ripping up my garden, just the noise of the shot in the air use to scare them off.... but you know I though a bb gun would be a better way to hurt humans than real guns.. -.-
BB gun, pellet gun, airsoft gun - none of them should be used to intentionally hurt humans, defensively or offensively. intended purposes like that, are what get things outlawed.

Check your local bylaws also - if you discharge any firearm in most municipalities in your backyard - you are breaking the law, and that is an emergency response unit call just waiting to happen.

BB guns, and pellet guns - for target practice/competition, and airsoft guns in an appropriate gaming environment with appropriate safety equipment being worn - that is what these guns are for.

Last edited by HackD; October 15th, 2012 at 18:08..
Old October 15th, 2012, 14:19   #8
B-Jewell

Quote:
BB gun, pellet gun, airsoft gun - none of them should be used to intentionally hurt humans, defensively or offensively. intended purposes like that, are what get things outlawed.
I was being quite sarcastic.. sorry for the confusion.
Old October 15th, 2012, 15:23   #9
Jimski

Quote:
I really enjoy the idea of the sport, however I have yet to get on the field.
Quote:
I don't plant to use this in an actual airsoft game
it doesn't really make sense.Is that also sarcasm?
Old October 15th, 2012, 16:28   #10
L473ncy

Quote:
No. Period. Check your local bylaws.

Secondly, never shoot to wound, shoot to kill. Whether it's .22 pellet, .22 LR or whatever. If it's for pest control there are rules and regs around that too. It may be a animal rights case if you intentionally shoot to wound (yes, animal rights do extend to "pests").

Either that or pest abatement such as bear bangers or whatnot (again, check local bylaws prior to using noise for pest abatement).

I highly recommend the Remington Airmaster or a Daisy air rifle for target practise and pest abatement (although this is more for smaller pests, for coons you might have to go to something like a 700 FPS .177 or a high powered .22 air rifle).

Last edited by L473ncy; October 15th, 2012 at 16:31..
Old October 15th, 2012, 18:50   #11
B-Jewell

okay, never mind guys. everyones missing the point and thinking im running around a residential suburb shooting racoons. which A) is not at all what is meant and I thought my posts showed that and B) total retarded.. but i said Im a newbie which i guess means i have 0 knowledge of society. C) not even close to the relevant information.

but thanks for the little information I did acquire.
Old October 15th, 2012, 21:01   #12
Jimski

it's because you should have said that the only thing you plan on doing with an airsoft pistol is playing airsoft.
Anything else will not gather any help from this community; that's why.

But then again your intentions according to the first post are unclear.
Old October 15th, 2012, 23:46   #13
Aquamarine
PanSexual

Send a message via MSN to Aquamarine Send a message via Yahoo to Aquamarine Send a message via Skype™ to Aquamarine
If the 'point' was missed, then the OP can start over again. Thread closed due to complete idiocy.

Note to OP: Sarcasm doesn't show on the internet.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank