Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Fun with mag-azines, mag-pouches, and mag-nets!

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old December 15th, 2005, 20:52   #1
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Fun with mag-azines, mag-pouches, and mag-nets!

Creatively worded title, eh?

So, back in the summer I had a custom triple SMG mag pouch made by Tactical Tiger, OD, with Fastex buckles instead of noisy Velcro. Because the pouches are kinda loose when only holding one MP5 mag (seems enough room to hold 1.5 mags, more than enough to hold a single mag, but not enough to hold two mags), and while Fastex buckles are quiet (yes, am a sneaky bugger), they tend to slow reloads down by a second or two. And unbuckling prior to intense action (usually involves running), I thougth there must be some minor mod I could do to help me out. I thought about using magnets, since most mags are steel outer shell anyways, but had to figure out where to actually place them because, while "rare earth" magnets are super strong ($1.20CDN from Lee Valley Tools, $0.95 for 10 and over), the shell of the mags are thin steel, not a lot to grab onto, add in the separation by having a single layer of Cordura takes away the holding strength, I came up with this:

Notice the very slight round shape in between the stitching that holds the top part of the Fastex buckle on the flap? I sliced it at the side, then slide a 1/2" rare earth magnet into each spot, then sew'd it back together. Then, on each of my mags, I stuck another magnet on the side of my mag, then wrapped gun tape around it to hold it. This way the flap is held doen solidly (enough that I can hold the undone mag pouches upside down, with mags in place, and shake the heck out of it and the mags stay in place), yet are super easy to open and remove the mag.

Point being, there are times when extreme intense reloading is necessary, so all I have to do in advance is unbuckle my Fastex buckles on my mag pouches, do what I need to do, running, crawling, etc. without worry of losing a THIRD mag (one hicap early this year, mid season a 28rd locap), yet have very fast mag withdrawal and reloading. Hey, added benefit I didn't think of that reared it's head, since the mags have magnets already attached, my spent mags will stick to each other in my dump pouch, keeping them together even more to prevent losing them.

Thoughts? 8)
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 20:55   #2
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Can't See Pictures

Neither pic sems to work for me in Firefox..

Sounds like a neat idea.
Old December 15th, 2005, 21:09   #3
yanhchan

Send a message via AIM to yanhchan Send a message via MSN to yanhchan
Very interesting.

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country ~John F. Kennedy
yanhchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 21:10   #4
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Just uploaded, seems ASC uploads need to be verified before able to be viewed. Will go to the Warmonger's website, upload again, and change the pic links. Faster that way.
Old December 15th, 2005, 21:38   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Again, Warmongers rule! Uploaded the pics on our website, posted the URLs and presto, now visible and don't have to have mods allow the pics to be shown!
Old December 16th, 2005, 00:19   #6
ColtFarmer

Send a message via MSN to ColtFarmer
wow very cool indeed... i wonder if this might be a genesis in mag holding technology...
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:47   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

As long as you don't store your credit cards in the mag pouch, you are fine.

Hehe, played more with it this morning, they hold pretty good. Shaking it vigourously upside down with all the mags in place, nada, yet fast to open and withdraw. Glad I figured how and where to put the magnets. Unfortunately, need two of them, one per mag and one per flap, but am glad I bought 10 of them. Have 1 left.

Speaking of mag holding technology, found this on the lightfighter forum (not sure if the link will show up for those that don't have an account, but it's a great forum and well worth the registration!)

http://lightfighter.net/groupee/foru...3/m/3881025771
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications