Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

New, looking for first airsoft rifle

:

Newbie Tank

Old July 24th, 2015, 20:44   #16
Kanuk

Wow... 😐 Didn't know that airsoft could be THAT expensive. And I'm sure that some people can even spend more. Anyway I'll keep it reasonable for the beginning as I have yet to play my first. I'm not to concerned as I have searched, read, and watched for several months now.

First step will be to first try it a couple of time and to get age verified. Anyone has an hint of how long it can take? Are we talking days, weeks, or months? I have sent a PM to the age verifier in my area two days ago and I feel like it's not going fast enough (I know I know it's just me being patient, honestly I'm quite eager to get my gear and staprt playing for real)! 😅

After I've played my first game I might try to buy the used Top Tech TR16 I saw on Kijiji. According to the comments I received it looks like a good deal! Of course that's if the rifle is in good condition and working. If that deal doesn't work I'll wait to be age verified and look at the classified section for other good deal. How is it usually working for shipping? Is it easy to arrange it? Is it expensive? Or should I try to find a deal in my region to pick it up?

I have started getting some protective gear as it's the most important thing. Only thing I'm still trying to figure out is the vest. Of course I still have time. I like the Condor Gunner Lifhtweight Plate Carrier as it looks to be a good starting player carrier. I was thinking to start with just a belt with a dump pouch and mag pouch. I would look like a total noob but would allow me to start somewhere while I found a good deal on a carrier. And I will already have some pouches and a belt that I can use. I don't really want to buy a 30-40$ cheap vest if I know I'll buy a new one for 70-80$ a few months later. Good or bad idea? Should I just go with a cheap vest in a different colour that I plan my "future" load out so I'll have two coulour option?
Kanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 20:57   #17
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuk View Post
Wow... 😐 Didn't know that airsoft could be THAT expensive. And I'm sure that some people can even spend more. Anyway I'll keep it reasonable for the beginning as I have yet to play my first. I'm not to concerned as I have searched, read, and watched for several months now.
Airsoft isn't expensive, when some of us started, it was insane compared to today. When I started in 05, CYMA were commanding between $350-$500 depending on the gun and retailer.

Quote:
First step will be to first try it a couple of time and to get age verified. Anyone has an hint of how long it can take? Are we talking days, weeks, or months? I have sent a PM to the age verifier in my area two days ago and I feel like it's not going fast enough (I know I know it's just me being patient, honestly I'm quite eager to get my gear and staprt playing for real)! 😅
Age verifiers are volunteers, it could be days, weeks or months for a meet depending on where you are and then week to months for it to be put through the system to your account

Quote:
After I've played my first game I might try to buy the used Top Tech TR16 I saw on Kijiji. According to the comments I received it looks like a good deal! Of course that's if the rifle is in good condition and working. If that deal doesn't work I'll wait to be age verified and look at the classified section for other good deal. How is it usually working for shipping? Is it easy to arrange it? Is it expensive? Or should I try to find a deal in my region to pick it up?
Shipping is based on dimensions and weight of the package. KIJIJI isn't what most view as a legitimate place to buy good stuff for airsoft.

Quote:
I have started getting some protective gear as it's the most important thing. Only thing I'm still trying to figure out is the vest. Of course I still have time. I like the Condor Gunner Lifhtweight Plate Carrier as it looks to be a good starting player carrier. I was thinking to start with just a belt with a dump pouch and mag pouch. I would look like a total noob but would allow me to start somewhere while I found a good deal on a carrier. And I will already have some pouches and a belt that I can use. I don't really want to buy a 30-40$ cheap vest if I know I'll buy a new one for 70-80$ a few months later. Good or bad idea? Should I just go with a cheap vest in a different colour that I plan my "future" load out so I'll have two coulour option?
Just get a basic CONDOR plate carrier for the time being. Don't buy a ton of crazy shit. Get some mag pouches, 4-6 magazines on you is a good number for a new player, maybe 4 in the vest and one to put in the gun at game start. Other than that, get some boots with ankle support, camo, a way to carry water (Hydration pack on back of vest is popular and easy), mouthguard and eye protection
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 21:12   #18
Kanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
Route 2, G&G is trash...... buy something half decent, these days, VFC are in a fairly cheap price range.

As suggested though, try the game first before you go buying anything.
Yes I'll try the game first before buying anything.

Why is G&G trash? I have read and watched a lot of reviews, comments, and feedback and the general consensus was that it is good for the price. Weak parts are apparently the gearbox and the hop up but other than that you could buy one and be good for a couple of years. I'm not saying you're wrong I am only curious to know why it's crap? Is it the internals? The externals? The durability or the accuracy? Did you have bad experience? You see a lot of people with issues? You saw bad reviews on that? Thanks for giving a bit more info before I decide to buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
Age verifiers are volunteers, it could be days, weeks or months for a meet depending on where you are and then week to months for it to be put through the system to your account
Wow months would take a long time. But I get that it's voluntary so I won't complain. I hope I can wait that long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datawraith View Post
TopTechs are actually quite a step up from Combat Machines. The build quality of the TopTechs are also supposed to be better than the Combat Machines. I don't remember if the blowback is pneumatic or mechanical, but if it is mechanical (I think it is pneumatic though), you may want to disable it to extend the life of the rifle.
All G&G blowback on their AEG are now pneumatic. Apparently it gives less stress on the gear but you can lose around 20fps.

Last edited by Kanuk; July 24th, 2015 at 21:14..
Old July 24th, 2015, 22:44   #19
Chillyrabbit

Little surprised at how popular plate carriers are to carry gear. I think for someone new a basic 50$ chest rig could work just as well since unless you milsim, all you really need on the field is magazines of bb's. Since basic skirmishes don't last too long, and you can water up whenever you take a break.
Chillyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 00:13   #20
Datawraith

I wouldn't even get a rig at all to begin with. Just go and try playing a few games and see how you like it. New players can run around with tactical maracas (high-caps) or get a few midcaps and stuff them in your pockets or something.

AV'ing can take a while, give it 2 weeks to a month.

Yes, airsoft can be pretty expensive, but only after you JUST start getting into it. It is the startup cost that is pricey once you decide this is a worthwhile hobby and investment. Then the price of the gear really starts becoming apparent.

G&G TopTechs are actually compared quite often to higher end brands like VFC. Don't confuse them with Combat Machines which are a good beginner gun, but don't hold up against a VFC.

FYI, kijiji's policy actually bans replica firearms, airsoft included.
Datawraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 02:12   #21
8bitninja

New, looking for first airsoft rifle

If you have money and are sure you want to play, get a few form factors to try out. I picked up a EBB TM G36, CYMA MP5K, TM G26, WE M84, KWA G17 and WE G27. Tons of mags and accessories. Played a little and found my sweet spot.

If you don't have the dough, go to your desired events/fields and see what everyone else runs. Doing armchair reading I thought my EBB TM G36 would be king, but ultimately finding the MP5K more my style.

Good luck and have fun! Don't get too hung up on what to buy yet unless you're an impulsive shopper (unfortunately I am). I dropped around $2500 before my first game, and a lot of it will soon benefit AVers... Once my AV status changes
Old July 25th, 2015, 10:40   #22
Kanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillyrabbit View Post
Little surprised at how popular plate carriers are to carry gear. I think for someone new a basic 50$ chest rig could work just as well since unless you milsim, all you really need on the field is magazines of bb's. Since basic skirmishes don't last too long, and you can water up whenever you take a break.
I don't know for everyone but personally I think the plate carriers look tacticool. I'll definitively not start with one in the beginning so I'll look for something on the cheaper side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datawraith View Post
I wouldn't even get a rig at all to begin with. Just go and try playing a few games and see how you like it. New players can run around with tactical maracas (high-caps) or get a few midcaps and stuff them in your pockets or something.
Good advice, I think I'll start with nothing but the highcap for the first few games I play. I'll continue to look for maybe a belt with a 2 mags pouch and a dump pouch so I can carry a couple of midcap mag without spending too much. It will allow me to see others looks and talk with people so I can see what are my options and what I ultimately want to go with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitninja View Post
Good luck and have fun! Don't get too hung up on what to buy yet unless you're an impulsive shopper (unfortunately I am). I dropped around $2500 before my first game, and a lot of it will soon benefit AVers... Once my AV status changes
I would say that I am the opposite of an impulsive buyer. Always reading reviews, trying to verify if the deal is worth it, changing my mind a hundred time, and finally buying it (or not) after hundreds of hours of deliberation. But in this case looking at all the rifles, all the gears, and all the accessories, I wished I could have a few thousands bucks to spare and just go all in in this! Unfortunately I don't and will go step by step.
Old July 25th, 2015, 13:24   #23
mrfister
AV Revoked

my G&G top techs had for long time. still game them or rent them. i would say 4 years of dependable playing. havent dropped a dime in them yet
Old July 25th, 2015, 14:37   #24
Zfurlong

Wait for the new version of the cm16 by g&g the new ones coming out really soon are full metal and are only about 50-75$ more than he poly body counterparts
Old July 26th, 2015, 09:22   #25
Kanuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfurlong View Post
Wait for the new version of the cm16 by g&g the new ones coming out really soon are full metal and are only about 50-75$ more than he poly body counterparts
Really? I thought that the GC16 were the metal version of the combat machine series? What will be the difference between CM16 and the GC16 then if both are made with metal receiver?
Old July 26th, 2015, 15:00   #26
Slodin

Quote:
Really? I thought that the GC16 were the metal version of the combat machine series? What will be the difference between CM16 and the GC16 then if both are made with metal receiver?
Its called the G&G CM16 SRL..
I dont know when it will come to canada or pricing in canada....
Old July 27th, 2015, 20:06   #27
Gato
ASC's Whiny Bitch

Quote:

Why is G&G trash? I have read and watched a lot of reviews, comments, and feedback and the general consensus was that it is good for the price. Weak parts are apparently the gearbox and the hop up but other than that you could buy one and be good for a couple of years. I'm not saying you're wrong I am only curious to know why it's crap? Is it the internals? The externals? The durability or the accuracy? Did you have bad experience? You see a lot of people with issues? You saw bad reviews on that? Thanks for giving a bit more info before I decide to buy one!
Their materials are low quality, the end product is just as bad and their QC is a joke. I know many people out of Hong Kong, who can get them INSANELY cheap who won't touch them. I've seen many of them fail, I've seen their internals and held/tried their flimsy, weak products. I'd even take an ICS over a G&G, and I believe that ICS stands for It Cant Shoot

Quote:
Wow months would take a long time. But I get that it's voluntary so I won't complain. I hope I can wait that long!
Just the way it is, but in the end, most find it to have been worth it

Quote:
All G&G blowback on their AEG are now pneumatic. Apparently it gives less stress on the gear but you can lose around 20fps.
Which is noticeable and an issue if something goes wrong with it, when you chrony or if you get spot checked.
Certified Level 3.1415926 Sniper Certified
Certified Level 3.1415926 Orbital Weapons platform Certified
Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 20:09   #28
Juke16

Quote:

G&G is trash because it's got a plastic body with proprietary dimensions along with a gearbox which also has some proprietary dimensions that is neither robust, nor dependable in harsh conditions.

It is for these reasons that even in Hong Kong, NOBODY buys these rifles (and KJW M4 GBBs for that matter).

Even if you buy under the assumption that you'll use it till it breaks and then replace parts, you'll save more money by buying something a bit better such as a VFC. At the very least, if you try out airsoft and think you like it, grab a King Arms M4 which is at a comparable price and has a full metal body. King Arms dimensions are compatible with 90% of the manufacturers out there minus Ares, VFC, G&P, and obviously G&G though you can modify G&P uppers to fit on KA lowers.

Having bought plastic and metal guns before, I can tell you that plastic guns feel very unsatisfying and are definitely not very durable in the long run if you intend on playing outdoors a lot. Therefore, it's much better to buy a full metal rifle in your price range rather than buy a plastic rifle if you plan on staying in this hobby.

Edit: I recommend staying away from most EBBs as well since they tend to invite dust and dirt into your gearbox and don't offer as much realism as an EBB with recoil mechanism.

Last edited by Juke16; July 27th, 2015 at 20:20..
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 20:28   #29
Kanuk

Hey thanks a lot Gato and Juke16 for the detailed feedback! Would you put the TopTech series in the same category of shit gun? I'm not talking full price (400$) but for a used in good condition (220-240$)?
Old July 27th, 2015, 20:31   #30
Juke16

I wouldn't say it's a bad gun, but it definitely isn't the best for the price of $400 by far, you can definitely buy a VFC with that sum of money.
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank