Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

I don't run a MOSFET because...

:

Upgrades & Modifications

View Poll Results: I don't run a MOSFET because...
I lack the tools/skills/knowledge to solder 33 18.03%
I don't run high-voltage LiPo batteries and thus do not see a need 42 22.95%
I find the MOSFET wiring intimidating 24 13.11%
MOSFETs are expensive relative to a new set of trigger contacts 27 14.75%
I think MOSFETs can be unreliable 13 7.10%
I DO run MOSFETs in my AEGs 83 45.36%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27th, 2012, 11:00   #16
m102404
Tys

Certainly...if you're dealing with a switch unit for a sten/psg1/KSC HK33/some of the Real Sword stuff/TM Type 98/Thompson/etc...then I'd consider prioritizing the longevity of the harder to get parts as well.

I'm referring to "run-of-the-mill" v2/v3/249 mechbox based guns...which makes up a huge portion of what's out there and what commonly hits the field.

I don't doubt you could get a mosfet to fit just about anything (I've seen and built some very small ones)...I said that I thought that the expense, effort and opportunities to work on the mechbox relagate the "necessity" of a having a MOSFET to a trivial point for most guns and some people.

While it's nice to see some guns come out with a MOSFET in place...and some complete mechboxes have had MOSFETs prewired for a long time now...not all things are created equal and some of the stuff is boarderline enough to not be worth the while.

With regards with plasti-dipping a MOSFET...I have not done so...would it not adversely affect the heat dissipation of the unit? (I'm thinking of the plasti-dip I've used for plier handles...so maybe there's a different material?)
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:18   #17
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

I think he's referring to this in a spray/dip form:
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Yes I would think that would affect the heat dissipation properties of the FET, but most of the FETs I've built/seen (with the exception of the Infected Armoury FETs) run quite cool.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:43   #18
L473ncy

My mom uses some marine coating stuff on the electronics at her workplace (I think she called it "Conformal coating"). It's great for coating PCB's and making them waterproof to the elements you subject them to on the ocean (water, salt, T-storms, etc.). Not sure if it's readily available for consumers though but it should be available commercially.

I don't think this stuff will affect the heat dissipation characteristics too much if at all since marine autopilots should be capable of pretty high voltage/wattage/amperage (IIRC pulling up to 30A sometimes).
Old July 27th, 2012, 13:05   #19
ThunderCactus
Not Eye Safe, Pretty Boy Maximus on the field take his picture!

Id say don't coat it directly
Run the mosfet under your feed tray cover, or in your stock, or cover the RIS if it's in there, but coating the unit will seriously reduce it's cooling ability

And I HATE HATE HATE changing batteries.
I install mosfets, simple or comps, JUST to increase my battery life.
Since every electric gun I own is well over $1000, I wanna make sure I'm getting everything I can out of them lol
ThunderCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 13:20   #20
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

if a gearbox capable of shooting 200k rounds can be built mechanically, and the trigger contacts burn out at half of that... I'd kinda be loathe to open the gearbox at all until absolutely necessary. A mosfet would go in just so I wouldn't have to tear it all apart. What can I say, I'm lazy, I'd rather spend my time doing something else.
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 13:44   #21
m102404
Tys

I use this spray stuff called...creatively..."Electrical Tape Spray". Applied as directed...even 4 coats leaves a very thin (as in transparant scotch tape thin) coating. (I think the last pics that TC posted of his PTW electronics had it done...looked a bit goopy though). I did that to my PTWs years ago and it's worked out well through thick and thin. Sort of the same stuff as marine electronics spray.

If anything, I'd use that on a MOSFET. I don't think that I'd encase it in rubber/silicone (you might as well use silicone caulking then), put it in a rubber balloon (RC guys do that with ESC's and stuff) or anything. The various ones I've used do get warm/hot and I'd rather that/any heat be dumped as quickly as possible. I know ExtremeFire's stuff comes in pretty thick shrinkwrap...but that's still more so for contact protection vs. humidity/water proofing.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 14:14   #22
ShelledPants

The only mosfet I'd be willing to try is the Raptor. I've used the Trigger Master years ago, and while it worked, it was unneeded.

The Raptor cannot be coated, there is just too many things going on with it, exposed switches being among them.

As for the comment about running a battery peq box... Sorry, I don't want a fake peq box getting in the way of my real one.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 16:36   #23
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Is t the raptor site offline? Project dead?
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 16:44   #24
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post
Is t the raptor site offline? Project dead?
Advanced Wargame Systems has discontinued their manufacturing operations and all Raptor and Stealth units are being manufactured by AWS' then-largest distributor Mod My Airsoft.
Old July 27th, 2012, 16:47   #25
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Something to look forward to is the BlackTalon Chimera units. From our beta-testing it seems to be a worthy Raptor replacement with at least 2x beefier switches and electronics and a lot more features. The form-factor is not as sleek as the Raptor (not self-contained within the mechbox), but what you lose out in package size, you make up for in robustness and modularity.

They're also working on a Stealth-replacement unit as well, although why they didn't bring this to market first is beyond me.
Old July 27th, 2012, 16:48   #26
Ozone06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelledPants View Post
As for the comment about running a battery peq box... Sorry, I don't want a fake peq box getting in the way of my real one.
This!
Ozone06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 17:27   #27
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Advanced Wargame Systems has discontinued their manufacturing operations and all Raptor and Stealth units are being manufactured by AWS' then-largest distributor Mod My Airsoft.
Hmm Links? hoping they get in gear and support more mech boxes. the P90 gearbox would lend itself nicely. and have a crap load of room for it
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 17:54   #28
L473ncy

Quote:
Originally Posted by takagari View Post
Hmm Links? hoping they get in gear and support more mech boxes. the P90 gearbox would lend itself nicely. and have a crap load of room for it
It's all over Airsoft Mechanics. Basically from what I understand "Black Talon Concepts" is partnering up with Extreme Fire and combining the features of the Cheetah FET's with the original Raptors and it will be called the Chimera.
Old July 27th, 2012, 18:01   #29
kalnaren

Where's the "Because I'm fucking lazy?" option?

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 18:11   #30
Basic-Wedge

AEGs are for noobs. Real players use GBBs.

How do you like that for an aswer? LOL!

Basic-Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications