Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

BB ?

:

General

Old September 11th, 2006, 16:47   #1
Jayhad

BB ?

So why don't we use bbs with dimples like golf balls. I saw this report on tv a while ago that showed golf balls go 85% further when they have dimples on them vs balls without dimples when the same impact force is applied to them.

Doesn't it make sense then? Unless it is virtually impossible to manufacture dimpled bbs. I don't want to take my dremmel and start drilling 3000 bbs.

Greylocks if this question had come up in the past I am sorry that I made you flame me................
Quote:
Originally Posted by kos View Post
I swear, I didn't find out about it till I got home from bangin' little miss rotten-crotch!
Jayhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 16:54   #2
PTE. Pyle

Send a message via MSN to PTE. Pyle
it has come up in the past although i dont recal a spasfic thread. the reason im sure is 1) the size of the bbs and 2) the dimples would probably damage the hopup.

with a proper hopup you can acheive max range anyways.
Old September 11th, 2006, 17:05   #3
Jayhad

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTE. Pyle
with a proper hopup you can acheive max range anyways.
well we really don't know that, we can acheive max range as the hop up allows us to. the only way to qualify your statement is a test. Golf balls have spin on them regardless of dimples or not.

i find it very diffucult to believe that the hop would be ruined by the dimples, they would be "soft edged" like a golf ball and miniscual. (hope thats how you spell it)
Quote:
I swear, I didn't find out about it till I got home from bangin' little miss rotten-crotch!
Old September 11th, 2006, 17:12   #4
PTE. Pyle

Send a message via MSN to PTE. Pyle
well then as you said take out your dremmel and start drilling lol you would only have to do several to test.
Old September 11th, 2006, 17:14   #5
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
You sitting with a dremel will not get it precise enough. All you would do is make the bb uneven and thus give it an irregular flight path.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 17:20   #6
Greylocks

If I remember right, the concept was interesting but not worth making.
When you have a smoothbore barrel, it's the quality of the barrel and the hopup that counts.
The BBs themselves just have to be well made.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 17:35   #7
Jayhad

I really wasn't going to dremmel bbs.

I'm not trying to argue a moot point, just trying to get an understanding, what would a smoothbore barrel have to do with the bbs once it has left the barrel. (i just know some idiot is going to take this to literally)
The point for the dimples is to minimalize the turbulent fluids around a sphere when it travelling thru said fluids (I use the term "fluid" as we are discussing fluid dynamics)

I can't see why this wouldn't be an advantage, regardless of barrel or hop up.
If it is technically not feasible due to manufacturing restaints, i can accept it but aren't bbs molded.
Quote:
Old September 11th, 2006, 19:52   #8
Dracheous
Lego Head

I just think that cost wise makes it not worth doing. True that the lil divets WOULD increase their stability, but at the cost of BB's I doubt it would be worth while for anyone other than people with a single shot sniper rifle.

Besides the only way that these could be made to any "precision" is in the moulding, which would require detailed modifications to the moulds themselves. Which is also very costly.

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 20:53   #9
Gryphon

The problem is that BBs turn out smooth and uniform because they go through a polishing process after die forming. Assuming you made dimples on the die it's likely they'd be polished out or severely degraded in effectiveness after the polishing process. Adding dimples after polishing would ruin the smoothness and likely the sphericity of the BB.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 21:18   #10
Greylocks

It's not worth while because of the manufacturing issues. There's also some extremely strange things about airsoft ballistics that I certainly dont have the time to write about.

Nutshell; would cost far too much to do, and would have marginal effects because of the ballistics involved.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 21:20   #11
Kid

Since I'm a bit confused on this and I'm sure a few others are two... I will put in my request for the MadMax signal to be put into the sky.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 22:10   #12
Vladthecossack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad
(i just know some idiot is going to take this to literally)
The point for the dimples is to minimalize the turbulent fluids around a sphere when it travelling thru said fluids (I use the term "fluid" as we are discussing fluid dynamics)
Wow. I would have been really impressed if you hadn't said "minimalize".

But to a serious note, I think the reason BBs aren't dimpled is 1. Way to small, and thus would cost a fortune. (As was mentioned before), and 2. The weight of a BB is not enough to make much of a difference. A golf ball has some heft, and so dimples add a very nice tag to the end of a drive. Same with a Baseball Bat. When it's dimpled, it can be swung for much greater effect. But when you have a .2g sphere, dimples can only do so much (Which in this case is not a whole lot) for your range. So I believe that dimpling would not increase distance nearly as much as hopup.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General