General

Old January 6th, 2010, 11:34   #16
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Imagination land

is the best place to run the game.

before you do it for real ..

A couple of things.

AMMO LIMIT - Critical... people MUST have to think about their ammo .. They need to be concerned about running out because that will affect how they deal with problems

Use the ammo Mag count system or just limit initial loadouts Civilians should have VERY Tight ammo limits so they don't think they are soldiers.. I mean really tight like 100 rounds FOR THE DAY unless they attack and take a specific objective or intercept a drop

Host.. needs to be able to insert himself into the game through issuing orders or providing intel to sides to keep the game balanced and moving.. you MUST define Radio frequencies and monitor ALL radio traffic

HOST does not "play"

Host needs 3 or 4 people to help who can be inserted into the game to provide intel or to cause pressure.

You need to DEAL with issues right away and decisively
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 11:59   #17
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

the more i think about it the more i think the ammo count is a great idea, the refill would be the supply drop near the middle-end of the day. but if this gets big, then I'm going to try and get them "dropped" throughout the day.
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:02   #18
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.T.Z View Post
the more i think about it the more i think the ammo count is a great idea, the refill would be the supply drop near the middle-end of the day. but if this gets big, then I'm going to try and get them "dropped" throughout the day.
Too much access to ammo can ruin a good game

The best games have people pushed to the wall with dwindling resources

Don't try to run too large a game for your first one.

Keep it less than 50 people and you will do fine

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old January 6th, 2010, 16:55   #19
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
Too much access to ammo can ruin a good game

The best games have people pushed to the wall with dwindling resources

Don't try to run too large a game for your first one.

Keep it less than 50 people and you will do fine
well I'll probably stick to flag raiders
the ammo dump will be mid way through the day
and i'll implicate the points system for mags

i'm hoping for some more experienced players to show up, so that the game goes a tad more as planned. but you never know what happens. Thank you all for the help so far
Old January 6th, 2010, 21:52   #20
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
well I'll probably stick to flag raiders
the ammo dump will be mid way through the day
and i'll implicate the points system for mags

i'm hoping for some more experienced players to show up, so that the game goes a tad more as planned. but you never know what happens. Thank you all for the help so far

FR is a crap field during the day... you can see from one end to the other..

But at night!! it is punishing.. and complex.. do a late afternoon into evening game

OPERATION WOODSMAN

Old January 6th, 2010, 21:57   #21
Steven

So unlimited re-spawn for everyone? somethings wrong here....

I would say at least some sort of Timed respawn.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 22:12   #22
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
So unlimited re-spawn for everyone? somethings wrong here....

I would say at least some sort of Timed respawn.
well there would be respawn rules, and there are stringent medic rules as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
FR is a crap field during the day... you can see from one end to the other..

But at night!! it is punishing.. and complex.. do a late afternoon into evening game
would they allow games that late?
Old January 6th, 2010, 23:24   #23
georgehutchison

dont count out Barrie

Dont forget RITZ, who has 130 acre private airsoft field with lots of great players out your back door.

I would let you get some practice running a game with our crew. It would be good practice for you before doing a very large game.

We are in the planning stages of another huge invite summer game right now. Its alot of work and takes a team to pull it off. Its the same weekend as border wars was. There is alot to plan for from the pig roasts to the scenario details. Your idea is good and sounds fun to play.
Old January 6th, 2010, 23:25   #24
Zeonprime

Location: Waterloo, kitchener, guelph, mississauga, north east toronto
Quote:
well there would be respawn rules, and there are stringent medic rules as well

would they allow games that late?
Joe does allow games run late. HOWEVER I do know he has some bad experiences with some of the newer hosts and has started limiting who hosts outside of his normal business hours. Ask him if he is open to it. worst case is that he says no.

The civilians role has alot of options to it. The leader of the civilian group could be a true wildcard and not cooperate with either of the opposing teams. We had one game where the federal team had to actually come into the civilian "town" arrest and detain the civilians until a legally binding agreement could be achieved *note to future hosts, never let yourself get filmed
The deal the civilians made with the federal forces in that game, essentially forced the federal team to loose a 1/3 of its total fighting force to protect the civilian interests.

If you placed the game in May (not the 24 weekend though) I would be willing to help with the game, and know that Joe would sign off with after hours field use with me involved in the game. Renegade would also be very useful in helping make this work, so you might want to approach him as he is a wealth of information. The best games dont simply have one host running the whole show, but a team with a common goal working together for the enjoyment of the players attending. Krusty, Brian, Scarecrow and many others who have hosted large scale and very popular games know this already.

It has been discussed amongst senior players that maybe some mentoring amongst our newer brethern migth be in order. So I'm asking you, would you like some help? This will be your show, your game and your rep but I'm sure a few of us can help you make this work.

Quote:
Be safe not just with yourself, but those you play with. If you are reckless with other peoples safety then you will leave.
Zeonprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2010, 04:50   #25
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeonprime View Post
Joe does allow games run late. HOWEVER I do know he has some bad experiences with some of the newer hosts and has started limiting who hosts outside of his normal business hours. Ask him if he is open to it. worst case is that he says no.

The civilians role has alot of options to it. The leader of the civilian group could be a true wildcard and not cooperate with either of the opposing teams. We had one game where the federal team had to actually come into the civilian "town" arrest and detain the civilians until a legally binding agreement could be achieved *note to future hosts, never let yourself get filmed
The deal the civilians made with the federal forces in that game, essentially forced the federal team to loose a 1/3 of its total fighting force to protect the civilian interests.

If you placed the game in May (not the 24 weekend though) I would be willing to help with the game, and know that Joe would sign off with after hours field use with me involved in the game. Renegade would also be very useful in helping make this work, so you might want to approach him as he is a wealth of information. The best games dont simply have one host running the whole show, but a team with a common goal working together for the enjoyment of the players attending. Krusty, Brian, Scarecrow and many others who have hosted large scale and very popular games know this already.

It has been discussed amongst senior players that maybe some mentoring amongst our newer brethern migth be in order. So I'm asking you, would you like some help? This will be your show, your game and your rep but I'm sure a few of us can help you make this work.
When any senior member of the site, offers help especially ones that have a ridiculous amount of experience in these sorts of things I'm sort of inclined to accept the help!

George have I told you how much i love you recently? I mean in a purely plutonic hetero sort of way. honestly man thank you, I'll be trying to get to a few of your games for sure.

honestly this is turning out way better then i could have ever hoped!

Right now I'm going to try my hand at a few small games, little scenarios more skirmish like so i can get some hosting under my belt.

BUT i am more then willing to accept any and ALL help to make this game turn out amazing, THANK YOU ALL! (your going to be hearing that a lot from me)
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:34   #26
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

alright people new idea for the bomb,
its either going to take alot of custom wiring or a computer program but here it goes

once the timer reaches 00:00 an alarm will sound to notify that the bombs gone off as well as a model rocket will be launched (little more drama and notification for everyone else)

but heres my dilemma, I have no idea how to make either work.. input on how to design said system would be greatly appreciated.

P.s i have a laptop which i could use for the program to run in the field.
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:53   #27
L473ncy

Well.... I could probably try making something for you but it would only be a basic terminal based program. Can't do any fancy GUI stuff mainly because I don't know how to use the libraries (I'm thinking QT library will be needed).

Anyways.... Barring that it should be simple enough to rig a program up that counts down. Now as for the launching when it reaches 0 thing. That might be a bit more involved. Maybe sending some sort of output from the terminal to set the rocket to launch. I'm thinking you'd probably have to have some sort of hardware solution for that to send the signal to launch the rocket.

Something more low level might be to get a protoboard, some 74SL series logic chips, an lcd output and physically making a counter that counts and when it reaches 0 then you send a signal (1) to the model rocket which fires. You'll probably need some sort of microcontroller though and as for programming you have to do it at a very low level so someone who knows ASM or C should be able to program it.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:43   #28
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Well.... I could probably try making something for you but it would only be a basic terminal based program. Can't do any fancy GUI stuff mainly because I don't know how to use the libraries (I'm thinking QT library will be needed).

Anyways.... Barring that it should be simple enough to rig a program up that counts down. Now as for the launching when it reaches 0 thing. That might be a bit more involved. Maybe sending some sort of output from the terminal to set the rocket to launch. I'm thinking you'd probably have to have some sort of hardware solution for that to send the signal to launch the rocket.

Something more low level might be to get a protoboard, some 74SL series logic chips, an lcd output and physically making a counter that counts and when it reaches 0 then you send a signal (1) to the model rocket which fires. You'll probably need some sort of microcontroller though and as for programming you have to do it at a very low level so someone who knows ASM or C should be able to program it.
thanks by the way, I guess i should learn some programming :s

well heres how its "supposed" to work
countdown timer from any time to 00:00
Valid code = disarm
invalid code = alarm + missile launch
timer 00:00 = alarm + missile launch

basically a full screen timer, with a textbox that you insert the code into.

i'm assuming (considering I've done very little programing) that the countdown and code and alarm would be relatively easy, its the sending a pulse/command through a device to launch the rocket.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:57   #29
Con Murder

Perhaps start the timer and a stop watch at the same time and have the person setting off the rocket (in a safe place where no one can get hurt) take the stop watch with them.
Con Murder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:59   #30
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Murder View Post
Perhaps start the timer and a stop watch at the same time and have the person setting off the rocket (in a safe place where no one can get hurt) take the stop watch with them.
people are unreliable and there would be either a early or delayed launch. also i would be willing to remove the rocket, but only if no other option is presented
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General