Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

questions about paint the stocks and such on my kraken

:

Newbie Tank

Old December 28th, 2008, 23:44   #1
Dirty harry350

Question questions about paint the stocks and such on my kraken

ok im going to paint my ak-47 kraken's stock fore grips and pistol grip flat od green, the way they are now is shiny od green. i plan to sand the stock for grips and pistol grip down wth 1000 grit sand paper and then prime it with palstc primer then paint it od green; im using rattle cans. Dose anyone see any problems with what im doing or any type of paint to use or stay away from any other info will help too ty.
Dirty harry350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 00:05   #2
L473ncy

Only thing I can input is that you should make sure the spray cap for the paint sprays evenly. Some I've found are really fucked up and spray in an uneven pattern. no not like a hard centre soft edges kinda spray (I consider that "even"), I mean like a really fucked up spray pattern (culprit was dried paint and dirt or something stuck in the spray cap).

I'm not sure what "rattle cans" are so I can't really say anything about that (if they're the paint with metal "marbles" inside to mix the paint before spraying they should be fine at least that's what comes to mind when you say "rattle cans").

Krylon (from Canadian Tire (or Walmart)) works wonders from what I hear from other kraken owners on the forum. Basically any mediocre paint should be fine. Remember lots of thin coats is better than one heavy one and also helps to prevent drips. You should have all the knowledge to do all this since it seems like you know a bit about painting (with the roughing up with sandpaper thing).
Old December 29th, 2008, 00:18   #3
Dirty harry350

yes, thank you for your input and yes i know a bit about painting i paint cars, im a sineyor in high school and takeing auto body in my shcool, im the seconed best painter in my class, but i have never painted this kind of plastc before and really ment it to last and be perfict, ive just blitzed shit before fucking around. and yes rattle can is what i call spray paint cans cuz thay rattle when you shake them.
any other help or seggetions would be help full ty =)
Dirty harry350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:20   #4
Azuki

Sorry dude but you could please fix up the spelling and grammar a bit? It's kinda difficult to read :s.

Getting back to the topic, the type of primer you use is somewhat important for wear. Using craft sprays will shorten the life of your paint job. If you want a matte look, there maybe multi-surface heavy duty paints that replicate a matte finish. If you've already primed it I don't know if its smart to remove it, but just try to make sure your primer is a type that is recommended for outdoor/heavy duty use, even if it means the finish will not be exactly how you want. Function>Form.

If you want actual products, stuff like this -> http://www.krylon.com/products/matte_finish/ works for most plastics. Just not sure if it will work with a primer.

WA SV Infinity 5" Classic
Azuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 10:07   #5
Jimski

yeah, also gloss paint is tougher, so painting with gloss solid color + matte varnish is tougher than just matte paint, or matte paint+matte varnish.

1000 sandpaper is a bit fine for that kind of work, I found that 400 and 600 give sufficient result and doesn't get clogged as fast.
Old December 31st, 2008, 16:51   #6
MadMorbius
Just use Krylon Camouflage System paint. No primer or sanding needed.
Old January 7th, 2009, 16:44   #7
johjoh

Send a message via MSN to johjoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMorbius View Post
Just use Krylon Camouflage System paint. No primer or sanding needed.

+1 gives nice finishes and pretty durable let it dry for a couple of days tough
johjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank