Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Getting into airsoft...want gun advice

:

Newbie Tank

Old March 8th, 2010, 17:21   #1
fi3re

Send a message via MSN to fi3re
Getting into airsoft...want gun advice

So I've been wanting to get into airsoft for quite a while but never really got a chance with all my other hobbies...

Now me and my friend (both 18+ btw) have decided to dive into airsoft and hope to attend OP rise and shine in a few weeks...

I checked out torontoairsoft and find their prices very attractive. I realize they are JG rebrands, but I've heard decent things about JG. Would they be decent starting platforms for a beginner? What I mean is, I really want a Marui clone so I have the ability to upgrade the hell out of it with aftermarket parts.

G&G apparently not so good as for as cansoft version goes?

ICS pretty much proprietary gearbox and reciever?

What about SRC? I know ver.3 is good stuff but would it be marui compatible?

Until I get age verified I really dont know classifieds options...
Would getting a used marui be a better idea? Dont really want a used gun, nor do I want to spend 600 on new just quite yet...

I know I'm asking for alot of things at once but no matter how many posts i read I see mixed opinions about everything....=\

thanks,
Vincent
fi3re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:25   #2
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

A used TM beats a JG which clones TM guns, also the G&G guns are good and i haven't had any problems with mine such as compression but it's more of a hit and miss but i would trust G&G over JG any day.
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Harden the fuck up, you liberal pussies.
Shooting Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:29   #3
fi3re

Yea, I know TM is much better, but I still really want to avoid used guns tho...

Are the G&G's good? I've read SO many mixed opinions....are they TM compatible?
And aparently Frank at velocityarms tests and upgrades the guns? Would that mean anything better?
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:31   #4
Spike
Privateer Airsoft

You should wait until you do have access to the classifieds before making a decision. Those halfbreed clear guns are still overpriced; you'll be able to get metal guns in the classifieds for not much more.
Have you contacted your local AV rep yet?

PS if RITZ drops his mini noobie guide shpeal, don't be offended, he means well :P
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:32   #5
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

They decent guns not as good as TM, CA, RS etc but as far as compatibility goes for the most part they are TM compatible but they seem to like parts for CA guns better.
IMO there's nothing wrong with a used gun plus they come with extra stuff your going to need later anyway like battery's, mags etc.
You can tell a person over and over that 4 + 5 = 9 and show them the mechanics of how addition works, but at the end of the day when you look into their eyes you know damn well that in their heads they still see 4 + 5 = pineapple.
Quote:
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:35   #6
fi3re

Haha yea I've seen the RITZ thing quite a few times
Hope to think that i dont need it...

btw yea I pmd karnage last week but he hasnt told me where his showroom even is...=\

I read the "prices of guns in classifieds" but those prices are QUITE a bit more...my budget is around 400...
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:38   #7
Shooting Addict
* KNOWN LIAR *

Quote:
I read the "prices of guns in classifieds" but those prices are QUITE a bit more...my budget is around 400...
You can get a full metal ICS MP5 off of Mach1 for a little less then thathttp://www.mach1airsoft.com/web/cata...&id=281&cat=22
Quote:
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:42   #8
fi3re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Addict View Post
You can get a full metal ICS MP5 off of Mach1 for a little less then thathttp://www.mach1airsoft.com/web/cata...&id=281&cat=22

Oh right I should probably say I'm mainly interested in M4 becuase I REALLY like the floating rails that I could put on later down the road..

ICS cant take aftermarket metal bodies right?
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:42   #9
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw

Location: Mississauga, ON -- The Brotherhood Of Eternal Sleep
Why do you want to avoid used guns? 75% of guns used by people around here were previously owned and used by someone else. As long as the person didn't abuse their gun and didn't make sure everything they knew that wasn't perfect in their ad (which does happen once in a while but not often enough to be worried about) then your home free. You save money buying used and you get guns as package deals with a bunch of extras like mags, batteries, optics, upgrades, etc... All you have to do is make sure you look at the persons trader feedback rating.

I have bought and used a fair number of guns in games over the past couple years, and every single one has been bought used off the classifieds and have yet to have a problem with used guns. Sometimes used guns perform better than new guns as guns have a "breaking in" period to work out some kinks. Also once you get AV'ed you will have access to AV Retailers who sell new guns as well. So my advice is hold off from buying those nasty cancer ridden tainted cansoft guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi3re

You might want to either keep saving or reconsider jumping into airsoft as there is gonna have to be a bigger financial commitment in order to get the full experience out of playing airsoft. Besides a gun your gonna have to get the following items: extra mags (ballpark $60 for a set of 5), quality battery (around $50-$100), quality charger (around $50-$100), eye protection (lets say $50), good pair of boots (about $100). That covers all your essentials, then we get into secondary items like a vest to hold all your stuff like mags etc.. ($50-$200), BDU ($40-$130), upgrades/accessories (Im not gonna put a dollar amount here as this can only be as much as you want).

So keep your $400 and save it until you have more. Airsoft isn't cheap, so unless your willing to raise that number closer to $800-$1000 then you might wanna reconsider airsoft. Im not saying this to turn you away, its just so you understand the commitment involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
This is the equivalent to knocking on deaths door and blowing his head off with a shotgun.

Last edited by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw; March 8th, 2010 at 17:50..
Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:43   #10
L473ncy

Damn... I came into this thread expecting to be able to use that AOL translator thing....

Anyways, it's really up to you in the end. Sometimes $400 is a good budget for a used gun. I got mine for $450, not the greatest by any means but not "crap" either.

Used guns will sometimes be upgraded so you should put that into consideration as well. It's like buying a Civic DX vs a Civic Si or Type R. I don't know if that's a good analogy but still, either get an 'OK' car for $13,000 or w/e or a better one that's been upgraded for $21,000. You still might find that you want to upgrade it a bit later but with the Type R there's already some upgraded parts.

You could buy a new stock Civic DX or a used Civic DX with some mods and maybe a new engine (lets say a K20 vs the stock Civic DX engine).

In the end, again it's up to you but I know that I lean towards buying from the classifieds because it's more in my price range and I like package deals.

EDIT: Also if you're going to that op, I believe there will be rentals available so you don't need to jump in and buy a "cansoft" gun and after getting AV'ed find that you want to get rid of it and buy one from the classifieds.
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:45   #11
R.I.T.Z
Crackers

I am unavoidable

On topic, yes something in the classifieds can be quite pricy, as to be expected for the difficulty to acquire the guns, but there is quite the selection available, and to be honest 400$ can get you a decent gun, if you look around you'll have a chance at a package even.
as for age verification, more is always better, try contacting a few more reps.

off topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grattoj2 View Post
PS if RITZ drops his mini noobie guide shpeal, don't be offended, he means well :P
BOOM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fi3re View Post
Haha yea I've seen the RITZ thing quite a few times
Hope to think that i dont need it.....
you know what, you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders and everything, so i'm glad the typical response i post isnt needed in this case
R.I.T.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:47   #12
fi3re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'N' Roll Outlaw View Post
Why do you want to avoid used guns? 75% of guns used by people around here were previously owned and used by someone else. As long as the person didn't abuse their gun and didn't make sure everything they knew that wasn't perfect in their ad (which does happen once in a while but not often enough to be worried about) then your home free. You save money buying used and you get guns as package deals with a bunch of extras like mags, batteries, optics, upgrades, etc... All you have to do is make sure you look at the persons trader feedback rating.

I have bought and used a fair number of guns in games over the past couple years, and every single one has been bought used off the classifieds and have yet to have a problem with used guns. Sometimes used guns perform better than new guns as guns have a "breaking in" period to work out some kinks. Also once you get AV'ed you will have access to AV Retailers who sell new guns as well. So my advice is hold off from buying those nasty cancer ridden tainted cansoft guns

Mainly I'm concerned about people who dont really know or care much about airsoft who just want to get rid of their guns....but I certainly see your point

How much would a CA M4 go for? as a side note, I hear marui M4's are plagued with issues?

Just need karnage to PM me back so i can meet him up!
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:55   #13
GSK88

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi3re View Post
Mainly I'm concerned about people who dont really know or care much about airsoft who just want to get rid of their guns....but I certainly see your point

How much would a CA M4 go for? as a side note, I hear marui M4's are plagued with issues?

Just need karnage to PM me back so i can meet him up!
Regular proline m4 will run about $500 flat. That inlcudes 1 hicap mag and no battery. RIS versions or CQB are closer to $600-650
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:56   #14
fi3re

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
Damn... I came into this thread expecting to be able to use that AOL translator thing....

Anyways, it's really up to you in the end. Sometimes $400 is a good budget for a used gun. I got mine for $450, not the greatest by any means but not "crap" either.

Used guns will sometimes be upgraded so you should put that into consideration as well. It's like buying a Civic DX vs a Civic Si or Type R. I don't know if that's a good analogy but still, either get an 'OK' car for $13,000 or w/e or a better one that's been upgraded for $21,000. You still might find that you want to upgrade it a bit later but with the Type R there's already some upgraded parts.

You could buy a new stock Civic DX or a used Civic DX with some mods and maybe a new engine (lets say a K20 vs the stock Civic DX engine).

In the end, again it's up to you but I know that I lean towards buying from the classifieds because it's more in my price range and I like package deals.

EDIT: Also if you're going to that op, I believe there will be rentals available so you don't need to jump in and buy a "cansoft" gun and after getting AV'ed find that you want to get rid of it and buy one from the classifieds.

Yea, I guess I see what your guys are saying... I'd just hate to buy a used gun and realize it was tuned with mismatching parts etc..

haha your car analogy works just fine, but then again buying a new car is always more reliable then a used one =\

Would getting a rental be wiser? Not really sure who to ask but I think I'll try
Old March 8th, 2010, 17:59   #15
fi3re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSK88 View Post
Regular proline m4 will run about $500 flat. That inlcudes 1 hicap mag and no battery. RIS versions or CQB are closer to $600-650
Damn...a little outta my price range for now...
but that is BNIB right? Would used one dip down to 300-400 range?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank