Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Canada Safety Council pushing replica registration

:

General

Old April 27th, 2010, 18:59   #1
shaharov

Canada Safety Council pushing replica registration

I read this CBC Article http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...earms-act.html and really in some ways kinda agreeing. I guess We'll wait and see but basically the Canada Safety Council has starting looking at having Replica Firearms as a registered weapon (I guess the illegal outright thing really hasn't worked well) I'm not sure of what that would mean for airsoft.. but thought I'd ask peoples opinions.
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:02   #2
pugs144

I highly doubt this'll be taken seriously. It's bad enough when the cost of the (real steel) gun registry is in the billions and now the CSC want us to register toys? Good luck.
pugs144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:06   #3
The Saint

Repost.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=99128

Let me sum it up: the people calling for this have no idea what they're talking about or how Canadian law works.
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:06   #4
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaharov View Post
I read this CBC Article http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...earms-act.html and really in some ways kinda agreeing. I guess We'll wait and see but basically the Canada Safety Council has starting looking at having Replica Firearms as a registered weapon (I guess the illegal outright thing really hasn't worked well) I'm not sure of what that would mean for airsoft.. but thought I'd ask peoples opinions.
Registration means control. There's no need to register them. If you care so much about safety, why not issue a license?

I don't want anyone being able to know what I have by typing my name into some national airsoft gun registry () ... It didn't really work for real guns... Just allowed criminals a shopping list....
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:15   #5
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Besides the registery part, isn't this what most of us want? I remember many thread with people suggesting that airsoft guns and replica firearms be made "firearms". So that with a Pal one could legally purchase and import them.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:24   #6
The Saint

What people want is for airsoft to be legal. The current law's interpretation and implementation now supports that, well, maybe except for pistols.

To introduce licensing for airsoft would dramatically change the legality of airsoft, paintball and airguns in Canada, and it will unlikely change for the better. The law would require major rewriting to support licensing and registration of airguns, to the point that it'd be easier to put a ban in place.

Look at it this way, has progressively more complex licensing cemented gun ownership in Canada? Hell no.
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:24   #7
shaharov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
Besides the registery part, isn't this what most of us want? I remember many thread with people suggesting that airsoft guns and replica firearms be made "firearms". So that with a Pal one could legally purchase and import them.
Thats my thought.. Besides the registery not working well and being highly expensive. If we just needed a PAL to get airsoft guns I'd do my firearms licencing in a heartbeat
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:32   #8
13Fido13

OH NO! The sky is falling!

/scarcasm

Level 2 BA Certified
13Fido13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 19:44   #9
L473ncy

<Insert generic yearly "the sky is falling airsoft is no more" post here>

Seriously this pops up every year at least 2 or 3 times it's not going anywhere and airsoft is pretty much here to stay unless we instill some sort of Big Brother Orwellian society with the liberals (far left authoritarian liberal I mean, I consider myself a left of centre liberal with a libertarian tilt) being Big Brother.
Old April 27th, 2010, 20:17   #10
jamuke

s
Old April 27th, 2010, 21:11   #11
Jeff Chen

Hmm... so airsoft guns are legal? I thought it's always prohibited, expecially the replicas like the KSC ones from Japan?
Jeff Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 21:13   #12
Thenooblord
Can't fix my own guns. Willing to fix yours.

Send a message via MSN to Thenooblord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Chen View Post
Hmm... so airsoft guns are legal? I thought it's always prohibited, expecially the replicas like the KSC ones from Japan?
you can own them, you just cant import them or buy them or sell them

Words to live by
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The apartment I am in right now costs $100 a month.
My average spending on food per day is less than $4.
My airsoft spending in the last month and a half has totaled over $1400.
They're called priorities. Get yourself some.
Thenooblord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 21:23   #13
shaharov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenooblord View Post
you can own them, you just cant import them or buy them or sell them
I don't believe it's legal to posses them either (If I'm wrong a correction is welcome) but as it's close to impossible to prove that they wern't aquired after Jan 1 1999 (and likewise impossible to prove that it is.. I mean, who keeps recipts for an AEG 11 years) so that possesion is just overlooked and shoved away. Law enforcement has just focused on the aquisition of replicas
Old April 27th, 2010, 22:20   #14
kullwarrior

For those who think this is beneficial... you're dead wrong.
These guys are trying to make registeration for the current legal definition of uncontrolled firearms. Basically they want to control the uncontrolled.

Replica will still be band, the exception will be registered.
You think it will be legalize? Wendy Cukier of Coalition for Gun Control is part of IANSA (International Network on Small Arms) led by Rebecca Peters. For those who don't know IANSA is a recognized UN Organization that moves to remove firearms from the people (replicas included, see Youtube vid of Replica into firearms by Mothers Against guns a group supported by IANSA. These guys are not the ones to be friend with, in fact they will take away your rights to get it done. They're trying to do that using UN treaty to override UN Consitution. They did it with Britain, now they're trying to ban airsoft.
Old April 27th, 2010, 22:21   #15
Rugger_can

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post
<Insert generic yearly "the sky is falling airsoft is no more" post here>

Seriously this pops up every year at least 2 or 3 times it's not going anywhere and airsoft is pretty much here to stay unless we instill some sort of Big Brother Orwellian society with the liberals (far left authoritarian liberal I mean, I consider myself a left of centre liberal with a libertarian tilt) being Big Brother.
[cue airsoft messiah entrance..... waiting....]

Seriously, its gotten substantially easier to get Airsoft in Canada, sadly some retailers still cling to the notion that 300% markups are justified (it's their right to sell for whatever they want) but with an increase of retailers selling for as low as a 50% price disparity with HK the future is looking bright.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > General > General