:

Gear Discussion

Old November 1st, 2009, 21:17   #1
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Importing knives

I want to import this knife.

Amazon.com: Ka-Bar Black Cutlass Machete: Sports & Outdoors

I'm not sure if it will get through or not. I've checked the laws on the cbsa's website and it doesn' seem o be a prohibited item.

Anyone import knives from the US before? Or anyone have a good Canadian site for knives?

Thanks.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 22:26   #2
notec

http://www.houseofknives.ca/customerservice.php
http://www.knifezone.ca/
http://www.knifezone.ca/

There are more, and I know you can get that knife in Canada.........Ill have to see if I can find my catalogues. I collect knives.....alot of custom made ones, and ones I have made myself.
notec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 22:57   #3
canadian guy

I wouldnt really see you having any problems importing it as I see alot of machetes and that type of equipment everywhere and readily available.
canadian guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 00:02   #4
Tyrarn

I also do Viking reenactment and we buy real swords for live blade , scramasax and other knives froms de States without problems.
Tyrarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 00:03   #5
Assault Pioneer
formerly haakon45

Swords are ok? I thought they may be considered as weapons, there is a Falcata I'm eyeing up from the states
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Don't take weapons training from a book. It ranks right up there with people who think they know guns from watching a Chris Costa video.
Assault Pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 00:09   #6
Tyrarn

Yep swords are ok. I have always buy from kult of athena in the states and we never had any problem. I even buy a viking knife (scramasax) from Germany without problem
Tyrarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 00:28   #7
Jonboy2312

Send a message via Yahoo to Jonboy2312 Send a message via Skype™ to Jonboy2312
Holy cr@p! I had no idea someone was actually doing Viking re-enactment around here... I would have brought my gear when moving from Europe

Anyway - if there are no real problems importing swords and knives, how about a bayonet? It's one of those things I'd like to bring back from visiting my parents back in Poland this Christmas - an M9 bayonet... any idea if that would be OK in my main luggage? (NOT carry-on, duh!)
Jonboy2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:43   #8
Frozen Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy2312 View Post
Holy cr@p! I had no idea someone was actually doing Viking re-enactment around here... I would have brought my gear when moving from Europe

Anyway - if there are no real problems importing swords and knives, how about a bayonet? It's one of those things I'd like to bring back from visiting my parents back in Poland this Christmas - an M9 bayonet... any idea if that would be OK in my main luggage? (NOT carry-on, duh!)
No problem with knives in checked baggage. I EDC a Spyderco Endura Wave, Leatherman Wave, and a mini Swiss Army knife, and when I fly they go into an easily accessed compartment on my suitcase, and as soon as I claim my baggage at my destination, I pull out my gear, put it in my pockets/belt pouch, and I feel secure again
As for international purchasing, it can depend on the shipper the seller uses. Years ago I tried to buy a Heavy Cavalry sword from USCAV.com, but they wouldn't sell it to me because FedEx refused to ship a sword across the border.

Delenda Est Carthago
Frozen Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:57   #9
MoreToasties
Art affectionado

Frozen Tex, sorry to derail, but what are the laws on EDCing in Canada, anyways?

I've always wanted to know.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:49   #10
DaRkCoMmAnDo

My buddy bought a sword while in England got it in just fine.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:45   #11
Pivot
formerly OlUncleGearHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreToasties View Post
...what are the laws on EDCing in Canada, anyways?
Under the Criminal Code, a knife is a tool until by word or action it is turned into a weapon. Carrying a knife in your pocket is not a concealed weapon, it's a tool in your pocket. Under the CC, there are no limits on blade length. That means you could carry a Daito down the street, and as long as you're carrying it for the purposes of scraping under your fingernails, you're okay.

That being said, local statutes may apply. For example, here in Calgary, there's a local bylaw that can be a $50 fine for carrying a knife in public. The local blues don't issue the fine unless you've done something stupid and earned it. It's just there if they need it.

The only knives that CBSA get twitchy about are gravity assist (eg: balisong AKA butterfly knives), mechanical deploy (eg: switchblades), and knives where your finger passes through the frame of the knife, (eg: karambit, trench knives) although they seem to make exceptions for very utilitarian knives like rescue tools and gut hooks. Importing a machete should not be an issue.

In my long winded way, I guess I mean "Yeah, shouldn't be an issue".

(I'm a retailer who sells knives for a living. CYA: I'm not a lawyer, and this shouldn't be taken for legal advise. I accept no liability.)

Check out my Gear and Clothing Sales thread, and my Parts and Accessories thread.

Last edited by Pivot; November 2nd, 2009 at 12:56..
Pivot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:51   #12
Lakonian
kos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
Under canadian law, a knife is a tool until by word or action it is turned into a weapon. The only knives that CBSA get twitchy about are gravity assist (eg: balisong AKA butterfly knives), mechanical deploy (eg: switchblades), and knives where your finger passes through the frame of the knife, (eg: karambit, trench knives) although they seem to make exceptions for very utilitarian knives like rescue tools and gut hooks.

In my long winded way, I guess I mean "Yeah, shouldn't be an issue".

(I'm a retailer who sells knives for a living. Fact.)
Oh? Details? Do you carry any Zero Tolerance? Looking for a ZT0350, but can only pay EMT
Lakonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:59   #13
Pivot
formerly OlUncleGearHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakonian View Post
Oh? Details? Do you carry any Zero Tolerance? Looking for a ZT0350, but can only pay EMT
We do carry ZT (some beautiful kit) and the ZT 0350 is a knife we do carry in stock, but we don't accept EMTs.

Check out my Gear and Clothing Sales thread, and my Parts and Accessories thread.
Pivot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 13:43   #14
MoreToasties
Art affectionado

Thanks man.

MoreToasties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 21:09   #15
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

SO I finally ordered it. Yes there were Candadian retailers who were selling it but the price was twice that of the American sites. Even with tac and possible duty it comes out to less, especially with our dollar so high. Thanks for all the help.
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Gear Discussion